Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phantom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I experienced phantom braking with Beta when vehicles come up behind to pass. This is dangerous as a closely following vehicle hardly expects the vehicle in front to suddenly slow down. I've read of phantom braking in other scenarios, but not from passing vehicles. Anyone else experience this?

Today I experienced phantom braking with Beta when vehicles come up behind to pass. This is dangerous as a closely following vehicle hardly expects the vehicle in front to suddenly slow down. I've read of phantom braking in other scenarios, but not from passing vehicles. Anyone else experience this?
I’ve experienced it very consistently when another car passes me on the left. About the time the car is even with me FSD will suddenly brake pretty aggressively and swerve to the right.

Love our MY with 18K miles. I was driving home at lunchtime last week and relaxing on cruise at 70 mph. I was headed North of Dallas with very few cars on the 4-lane highway. As I approached an overhead bypass bridge (4 lanes wide), I am guessing the car saw the large black shadow under the bypass and interpreted it as a solid wall. My car "slammed on the brakes" harder than I thought possible. I was completely caught off guard, pulled off the road to find reality, and catch my breath.

Fortunately, no one was behind me, or they would have hit me at full speed. This is really dangerous. Is there a fix in place that I have missed?