Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I turn off TACC and just get speed controlled cruise (phantom braking issue again)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phantom braking issue has now started appearing on cruise control. Nice weather, daylight, no other vehicles, no change in speed limits, TACC decided it needed to hit the brakes. Not super hard, just seemed to be regen braking.

We no longer use Autopilot and haven't in about a year due to this very issue.

I think it's sensing vehicles ahead even though there weren't any. Is there a way to deactivate the "traffic aware" part? I suspect the answer is no. Which will mean cruise is going to become useless to us also.

Reactions: Stach
There is no "dumb" cruise control. TACC -> Autopilot -> FSDS

If you have paid or subscribe to FSD, the new FSD v12 significantly reduces PBs (at least for me) to the point that I rarely have them anymore. However, the older AP (which includes TACC) still has PBs, as it's using older code.

The goal will be for Tesla to roll out the new v11 or v12 FSD code to AP users for freeway use only. FSD users have had the new NN code running on freeways (replacing AP) for some time now, and it's much better in my experience.

Reactions: PassingLane
One thing that can be related - make sure your camera is clean and there is no smudges. If there are - clean glass thoroughly, clean the wipers and try to use some degreaser maybe to prevent them from happening. When I do that routine - auto wipers works for me quite decently, wondering if it can also help with PB.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Every time I go under a specific bridge on a sunny day, TACC slows down and gets totally confused by the shadow of the bridge above - this one bridge is at an angle to the road under it (the one I am on), and the road I am on is curved. TACC hits the breaks there every single time - I just turn it off before driving there. I also have the steering set to turn on only if double pull, so that way the speed stays constant even when I manually change lanes.

Sadly there is no way to go back to straight CC. The code is there because the 1st gen MS has it. In the past Tesla has said that it would confuse people who might think they've engaged TACC and only have straight CC and would then cause an accident. But IMO phantom braking could cause accidents too. I also hate that TACC slows for corners. Of course it does it at the worst time, just as you're turning into the corner. Anyone who has taking a driving school knows that you brake before the corner and as you are turning into the corner you should be easing out of the brakes. Yet another example of why AP/FSD is garbage. It drives like a drunk 15 year old - always reacting late to things (which requires huge control inputs) instead of anticipating. Yes, I tried v12 on HW3 during my 30-day free trial. It's a cool party trick but that's it. They have a very, VERY long way to go.

Reactions: PassingLane
(MYLR2022) Ifound to some degree, phantom braking can be controlled or almost eliminated. For me, phantom braking occurs when on the freeway, passing certain exits (Exits that parallel freeway closer than other exits) . If I am in the right most lane, the TACC picks up the reduced set speed limit of the exit. Tesla helps reduce speed if you take an exit to help prepare for stopping. On the freeway right most lane, it somehow picks up that exit speed for a fraction of a second. I’ve watched max speed indicator change, 70mph to 55mph & hard brake, then back to 70mph. Could Tesla be using some proximity to determine when to reduce posted max speed? I’ve eliminated braking for that exit by moving over one lane, (middle or left lane).