Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sold my 2019 SR+ for $25k this week; $5k more than Carvana's offer (which had the highest offer). The cheapest total cost of ownership car I've ever owned, by a long-shot. Paid $34k for it (net) in 2019. The IRA used EV tax credit definitely helped. The buyer is getting a screaming deal ($4k tax credit + $5k state rebate). All of it will get rolled into the new M3P :D
Congrats from across the river!!!

Did you sell it to someone through your listing here? Mind sharing what platform the purchaser found you on?

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Why is anyone paying any attention at all to EDD dates (other than the fact that in waiting room threads, thats what people like to do, talk about moving EDD dates?

Didnt anyone see what I mentioned earlier in this thread? For reference, here it is again, regarding the ordering process:

Basically, no matter how much someone tries to micro manage / pay attention to delivery, it basically goes like this:

1. Order (complete all order tasks, and Ideally put "cash" as payment type even if you plan on financing as long as you know you will be approved for financing / have no credit issues)

2. Ignore EVERYTHING you see in your account about "estimated dates". They mean absolutely, positively, 100000000000% nothing. Do not expect to get notified if these "estimated" dates change, DO expect them to change. As I mentioned, the BEST thing to do is completely ignore your order after you place it, ignoring all EDDs etc.

3. Do not pay attention to anything about your order until you are assigned a VIN. THEN and ONLY THEN should you look at estimated dates as anything other than a fairy tail. Once you have a vin assigned, if you put "cash" to speed the process along but intend to finance, THEN AND ONLY THEN (AFTER you are assigned a vin) should you go work out your financing.

If you intend to do outside financing, apply for that.

If you intend to finance through Tesla, AFTER you get a vin, contact Tesla and tell them " I know I said I was going to pay cash but I changed my mind, I want to finance through you, can you open up the application for me? Once you work out who you will be financing through if financing, tell tesla and tell them the amounts of your financing / down payment etc.

4. Schedule delivery when they make that available, keeping in mind that they are not going to "hold the car for me for a week while I am out of the country?" or anything like that.

5. Take delivery (on one of the few dates they make available when they open up delivery slots

Thats pretty much how anyone should expect it to go.

I could point out thousands and thousands and thousands of waiting room posts of people "discussing" their estimated dates moving around, and consternation around that, when the best thing to do is simply "order and wait, and not think about your order till you get a vin" anything else is just hanging out / discussion points etc.

sequence of numbers don't add up. i ordered 49 mins after launch, and got RN12154. New Jersey.
I got my email confirmation 18 minutes after launch and mine is RN121531***
Why is anyone paying any attention at all to EDD dates (other than the fact that in waiting room threads, thats what people like to do, talk about moving EDD dates?

Didnt anyone see what I mentioned earlier in this thread? For reference, here it is again, regarding the ordering process:
Once you get a VIN it goes pretty quick at least that’s my experience. Maybe we should be comparing when VIN’s actually are given to when orders were placed as well as where the order ships to? We’re all chomping at the bit to get these suckers…I’m pretty sure these cars are gonna be pretty special!

it’s what people want to talk about. it’s the only thing that’s in flux so it’s mentioned a lot. if not then what would this waiting room be? we are all ready to take delivery some of us it’s our first teslas. maybe we should rename this to the commiseration room.

I got my email confirmation 18 minutes after launch and mine is RN121531***

Once you get a VIN it goes pretty quick at least that’s my experience. Maybe we should be comparing when VIN’s actually are given to when orders were placed as well as where the order ships to? We’re all chomping at the bit to get these suckers…I’m pretty sure these cars are gonna be pretty special!

Yeah it does go fairly quick once you get a vin. Its before that, regarding anything a person sees in their account on "ESTIMATED delivery date". None of that matters, before the vin.

it’s what people want to talk about
Its not like I havent seen that. I mentioned, in that same quote:

I could point out thousands and thousands and thousands of waiting room posts of people "discussing" their estimated dates moving around, and consternation around that, when the best thing to do is simply "order and wait, and not think about your order till you get a vin" anything else is just hanging out / discussion points etc.
maybe we should rename this to the commiseration room.
Perhaps, its just that a lot of people get all spun up wondering why the dates move, complaining about them moving, planning around getting a car based on the EDD date they got, wondering why someone else got a sooner date even though they ordered later, etc, and none of the dates really matter.

Of course, I am sure the site owners wouldnt want me saying this, because "its traffic" even if its just people repeating the same stuff about dates moving and moving and moving (and moving).

Its not like I havent seen that. I mentioned, in that same quote:

Perhaps, its just that a lot of people get all spun up wondering why the dates move, complaining about them moving, planning around getting a car based on the EDD date they got, wondering why someone else got a sooner date even though they ordered later, etc, and none of the dates really matter.

Of course, I am sure the site owners wouldnt want me saying this, because "its traffic" even if its just people repeating the same stuff about dates moving and moving and moving (and moving).
yea i get you! i know for me this is my first tesla and even though my edd has been moved like a yo-yo i’m not up in arms about much of it. i take it as experience for when i order my next one.

yea i get you! i know for me this is my first tesla and even though my edd has been moved like a yo-yo i’m not up in arms about much of it. i take it as experience for when i order my next one.

Enjoy the ride, and pre congratulations!

For most people (not all, but a very large percentage), once they get the car in hand, all of this stuff tends to just fade away.

This is an important reminder for those that have missed it, and I have the same exact experience with three prior custom orders with Tesla vehicles.

That said, i think people continue to compare and pay some or much attention to the EDD in order to try and make sense of the waiting period as much as possible. People will deconstruct the RN and the dates, and correlate that with the geographic location because it's a way to pass the time since we're all experiencing the same wait and anticipation for the car. We know that when one person gets assigned a VIN, then that's when things will pick up because it would be the first (known) domino to fall, which will signal to us that our VIN could be next.

How many times an hour are you guys seeing this and hoping for the best? 🤣

IMG_5431.jpg

Looks like most were not paying attention in class… ;)
I, on the other hand, took your advice and have been ignoring my EDD range. 😇 🤣

However, since there is a good chance I will be out of the country on vacation when my vehicle finally does arrive, I went to my local SC earlier this week to chat with the Sales Advisor who helped me on the previous two Tesla vehicle purchases. This is where the story starts to make sense and have some relevance. So, play attention and focus!!

Anyway, I wanted to see if my Sales Advisor could provide a little better/more accurate delivery estimate than my app (which currently shows a EDD of June 7-30). If my vehicle is not expected to arrive until the end of June, then I will definitely be out of the country and not be able to take delivery for 1-2 weeks. In this scenario, I would simply ask my Sales Advisor to put a temporary hold on my order. So, my Advisor pulled up my account/order and after a few minutes of navigating through Tesla’s order/tracking system, he told me my vehicle is scheduled to arrive at the nearest distribution center on May 30. Then, he goes on to tell me that once a vehicle arrives at this distribution center, it’s typically 7-10 days for that vehicle to arrive at the SC and be ready for customer pick-up. So, he said right now, it’s looking like my vehicle will be ready for pick-up sometime around June 7-10. No, I have not been assigned a VIN yet. But, if my Advisor’s estimate holds true, that would of course be within the current EDD window provided by my app (June 7-30). More importantly for me, it means I should be able to take delivery (and do some 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs) before I leave the country for vacation!! 😎 😁