Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at used Model X’s, looking for opinions / advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at used Model X’s. Looking for opinions / advice

Hello, my BMW i3 that I have had for years was totaled and instead of replacing it with another i3 I want to get a Model X so that we can use it as a family car over our current ICE vehicle.

I am looking at a few 2017’s (90D, 100D and P100D) and a 2018 100D.

The 2017’s are all under 60k miles and the 2018 is just under 70k miles.

There is about a $8k price difference between the 2018 and the cheapest 2017.

I know the 2018 has MCU2 but other than that are there major reasons to lean that way or would you lean towards cheaper / lower miles.

@BayArea103, there are variations within 2017 and 2018 depending on when they were built. My September 2017 build is essentially the same car as a Feb 2018 car. And because I have done the MCU2 upgrade, my car is essentially the same as any 2018 car.

Here is a compilation I did awhile ago on some of the design differences in the legacy model X’s.
As there are so many changes that Tesla is always making, a complete list is very difficult. But here are some highlights that I pieced together. The dates are approximate, + a month. Im sure others won’t be shy to point out what I have wrong.
  • Jan 2017 - Free supercharging no longer stays with life of car; only activated for current owner.
  • March 2017 - Back of Seats changed from glossy to matte
  • July 2017 - 7 seat configuration changed from mono-post to bench
  • Summer 2017 (?) - alcantara dash removed
  • August 2017 - HW2.5
  • March 2018 - MCU2
  • July 2018 - Premium Upgrade Package (PUP) part of base price
  • Summer 2018 - removed some configuration options, such as textile seats
  • Spring 2019 - Raven introduced - motor and suspension changes (325 mile)
  • Summer 2019 - black headliner (no light option)
  • October 2019 - Front seats changed. No longer movable headrest
  • January 2020 - long range plus (351 miles)
More helpful than the VIN is just the manufactured date, which is on the driver’s side door sticker. Tesla always shows a picture of it in its used listings.

When shopping for ones older than mid-2018, be aware that options and how they were packaged changed often. For example the auto-open driver’s door, a marquis of the model X, was once an option.

I have a Sept 2017 100D that started as HW2.5 and MCU1 and has recently been upgraded to HW3 and MCU2. I think the upgrades available (to HW3 for FSD) and MCU2 (for $2500) make the older cars viable options. Here are a few graphics that further help on autopilot and MCU changes.

View attachment 568992 View attachment 568993

Reactions: nmc4680
I use to have an i3 REX! I miss that little car, unfortunately it was totaled and that's how I got a Tesla. I would get a 100D, I ended up with a used 75D since it has FUSC. If the 2017 car has the MCU2 Upgrade and AP2 (cameras on the side fenders) it is going to be similar between the two years.

@BayArea103, there are variations within 2017 and 2018 depending on when they were built. My September 2017 build is essentially the same car as a Feb 2018 car. And because I have done the MCU2 upgrade, my car is essentially the same as any 2018 car.

Here is a compilation I did awhile ago on some of the design differences in the legacy model X’s.
I couldn’t agree more. I have a Dec 2017 P100D with FSD which was upgraded to HW 3 and MCU2. It’s great, I do wish I would have bought a Raven motor vehicle because of the winter range loss due to not having a heat pump. But I bought mine at the height of the craziness so I bought the only performance I could find at the time. I do love it though.

I recently drove a new Plaid thinking that it might be time to upgrade with mine exiting its extended service plan warranty, but I couldn’t stand that the cluster is essentially information free. I love the trip and energy displays. Beyond that, I didn’t see enough changes to warrant the additional 50k in cost.

Looking at used Model X’s. Looking for opinions / advice

Hello, my BMW i3 that I have had for years was totaled and instead of replacing it with another i3 I want to get a Model X so that we can use it as a family car over our current ICE vehicle.

I am looking at a few 2017’s (90D, 100D and P100D) and a 2018 100D.

The 2017’s are all under 60k miles and the 2018 is just under 70k miles.

There is about a $8k price difference between the 2018 and the cheapest 2017.

I know the 2018 has MCU2 but other than that are there major reasons to lean that way or would you lean towards cheaper / lower miles.
Well knowing your price range would help tbh

I don't noticed it during the day, but tail lights and such do repeat, never had a window do that before. There are upgraded windshields?

I sadly had to get my windshield replaced recently and that was one of the questions I had at the SC. They weren't sure if the issue would go away but they said I got the latest version. The only good thing from replacing my windshield is that the ghosting is gone for me. It was sometimes hard to drive at night because of seeing the blur of the tail lights.

Yeah, I'm not paying $2000 to get rid of a tiny reflection like that, especially since my window is so clean and clear, free from rock chips and such that my Sprinter and Model 3 suffer from, but it's good to know if I ever do it'll have that advantage.

Normally I wouldn't pay just because of the ghosting issue but my windshield was cracked so I figure why not use my glass coverage to get it replaced. $1000 deductible but the quote without it was about $2500. I have GAP on my auto loan and they reimburse me for I think 5 claims for up to $1000 and apply it to my loan.

I'm in a similar situation. I need a 7 seater and would prefer a unicorn P90DL or P100DL with at least at ESA. LUSC would be nice but not as necessary as my work currently offers free charging. Raven 2019 would be nice but the price delta pushes higher than I want to pay used. Do not like the interior refresh on newer than Raven and too expensive anyway.