Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port door closes immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had this problem, with all the symptoms above.

For me, walking away for 15 mins out of Bluetooth range and letting the car lock solved the problem.

Then I found this thread, so I didn’t get to try the “push in the charge door while closed” suggestion - so it’s possible that may also have worked.

Reactions: petercc9
Got also appointment scheduled on this Friday. Based on estimations, they are going to replace charging door.
in my case the problem got itself resolved and i cancelled appointment. But later I found out - door stopped working on pressing by hand, and this problem periodically comes back.

It seems I am gojng to schedule the service again and let them come whatever it reproduces or not.

After mobile service appointment (replaced charging port and charging door), and second appointment in service center (replaced charging door) I’m still having same problem with charging door won’t staying open.
Third appointment made in app, will update then.

My 3/24 build just did this today. I plugged in before it could close.
When I taped on the door it snapped two times and then started closing.

I heard in another thread they used the APP to operate the door and it corrected the problem.
Will test it tomorrow.

FWIW, YMMV....I had this issue a few weeks back, drove me insane. I pulled the emergency release from inside in the trunk area and it seemed to reset the solenoid/sensor or something and it stopped the auto closing. Note: I did it about 4 to 5 times. The first time it didn't work.

In my case the door won't stay open ONLY after I'm trying to open it by touch with charger in my hand. It's making kinda locking sound and stays closed and not responsive to touch. Then, when I press button on charger, it opens and closes immediately, Same with opening it through the app and car UI.
"Excited" about my 3rd service appointment on Monday.

In my case the door won't stay open ONLY after I'm trying to open it by touch with charger in my hand. It's making kinda locking sound and stays closed and not responsive to touch. Then, when I press button on charger, it opens and closes immediately, Same with opening it through the app and car UI.
"Excited" about my 3rd service appointment on Monday.
naty said:
This just happens to me on my model Y 2023. After trying all the “tips” on this post unsuccessfully, the fix was simple: use your hand to push the door when is closed. Then open the charge port door with the app and ta-da! It stayed open

Reactions: DrDiesel1
naty said:
This just happens to me on my model Y 2023. After trying all the “tips” on this post unsuccessfully, the fix was simple: use your hand to push the door when is closed. Then open the charge port door with the app and ta-da! It stayed open
I’ve read all posts about this issue and I’m aware of other ways to open the charge door to avoid this bug.
In my case I’m trying to get Tesla to find the solution for issue when charging door starts to acting up ONLY after I’m pressing the door to open it.
Currently in SC on third attempt.

Which door? Port door per normal?
Got the same issue, your solution is the one that fixed it, thanks!
Not sure what you guys did.

Push on the door is one to signal it to open. All going well it would open.

Are you saying push didn't open it? Then opened with app and hey presto it's fixed?

What it sounds like is the software has gotten into a loop of thinking charging is completed at the stage of the door opening.

Almost like there is an input crossed up with the one that says the charger has been unplugged. Computer reads "door now open" channel as "charger removed" and dutifully closes the door.

Which door? Port door per normal?

Not sure what you guys did.

Push on the door is one to signal it to open. All going well it would open.

Are you saying push didn't open it? Then opened with app and hey presto it's fixed?
Exactly! Seams to be in a weird state, you push on the port door (stay closed), then using the app you open it and it will stay open.

I’ve read all posts about this issue and I’m aware of other ways to open the charge door to avoid this bug.
In my case I’m trying to get Tesla to find the solution for issue when charging door starts to acting up ONLY after I’m pressing the door to open it.
Currently in SC on third attempt.
In my case, I was cleaning the car and forgot to put it in wash mode. So when I was going over the port door, it was opening, then I close it, then reopened… and on and on. After a few open/close cycles, the door was not staying open. It’s weird.

Mine is doing this today… i pulled that little grey clothe strap… and out came the entire ddang cable… right out into my hand.. wth…. Im so pissed right now… just so pissed off… the entire cable came out with a grey tube covering it… theee whole thing… cant even see where it goes, cant get the danm side panels off… im tired of this car. I trully amm

• Funny
Reactions: DrDiesel1