Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Port door closes immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is doing this today… i pulled that little grey clothe strap… and out came the entire ddang cable… right out into my hand.. wth…. Im so pissed right now… just so pissed off… the entire cable came out with a grey tube covering it… theee whole thing… cant even see where it goes, cant get the danm side panels off… im tired of this car. I trully amm
Sell it and buy a Toyota BZ :p

I found this worked for my 2020 model 3. I disabled Bluetooth on my phone, selected “power off” the car in the settings, lock the car with keycard. Walk away for about 10min and walked back with Bluetooth on and back to normal! Happy trying!

Reactions: tga
Happening to me as well. Port will not open with my 240v home charging cable button press or by pressing on the port door. Using the MCU screen or SC 'open the butt hole' voice command works but will sometimes close right away. I put the open charge port control button on the app and that seems to work most consistently. Then, once I finally get the charger head plugged in, I'm running into intermittent low charge issues, with my 240v home charger only pushing about 6 watts. On screen owner's manual tip said to turn off the breaker in my home's breaker panel, wait 10 seconds, then flip it on. That works, kicking the charge rate up to a full 40 watts, but it will sometimes revert back to the 6v charging rate the next time I plug in, requiring another reset of the wall charger. Dunno if the two issues are connected, but it's very coincidental that they both began at the same time, and quite possibly just after a software update, though I've been working so much lately I can't definitively correlate them. Definitely thinking it's time for a service call.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Mine started to do the same thing last night. Opens and then immediately closes. It did it with charging and and on screen open charging port. Tried the on screen open port then quickly pressing unlock charging port. Rebooted car and tried everything again with no luck.

I tried pulling the rear cable in trunk. Each time i pulled the cable i can hear the motor but the door wouldn't open.

With the cable pulled down i reached over to the charging door and manually opened it all the way to the top. Extending it passed where it normally opens. It makes a lot of clicking noise as the motor or cogs are being forced open. The door immediately closes on its own. I forced it open 3 times while holding the cable in down position. Each time the door closes immediately on its own.

Closed my trunk. Went back into driver seat. Used on screen menu and opened charge port. This time it stayed open.

But after driving 10 mins and trying on screen again the charging port immediately closes again.

Please people, stop pulling the cable!!! You only risk breaking things!!! If you pull the wrong thing (wires), you will completely screw up your charge port (see post #60 above).

The cable releases the MECHANICAL lock pin so you can remove the charge cable in case of an electrical/electronics failure. It has nothing whatsoever to do with opening/closing the door or keeping it open.

Most of the time, the problem seems to resolve itself if you let the car lock and sleep with your phone/fob out of bluetooth range. If you must charge RIGHT NOW, open the door with the phone app/key fob if you have one while holding the charge handle in your other hand. Jam the handle in before the door closes, grimace at the grinding noises it makes when the door closes on the handle, and walk away with your phone/fob. It will likely be magically fixed when you return (if you wait long enough).

Really, don't yank on stuff behind the charge port. It doesn't help and just risks an expensive repair.

(Edited for grammar)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDiesel1
Please people, stop pulling the cable!!! You only risk breaking things!!! If you pull the wrong thing (wires), you will completely screw up your charge port (see post #60 above).

The cable releases the MECHANICAL lock pin so you can remove the charge cable in case of an electrical/electronics failure. It has nothing whatsoever to do with opening/closing the door of keeping it open.

Most of the time, the problem seems to resolve itself if you let the car lock and sleep with your phone/fob out of bluetooth range. If you must charge RIGHT NOW, open the door with the phone app/key fob if you have one while holding the charge handle in your other hand. Jam the handle in before the door closes, grimace at the grinding noises it makes when the door closes on the handle, and walk away with your phone/fob. It will likely be magically fixed when you return (if you wait long enough).

Really, don't yank on stuff behind the charge port. It doesn't help and just risks an expensive repair.
To add! Don't yank on the charger plug handle either.
I've witnessed people trying to unplug their cars at a charging station,
by trying to lift the car off the ground from yanking so hard on the handle. 🤬

Reactions: tga