Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear Cybertruck off road test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll save you from watching it. They used a ton of range driving on dirt roads that you could drive with any crossover. Short story they only felt comfortable going about 100 miles between charging
I did tow a front wheel drive RAV4 that was stuck in an inch of snow on a steep section of road, so not any crossover. I'd be curious to see a more scientific test. I wonder what the true ~35mph on dirt road range is. I expected it to be quite good given how good EV's are on-road at that speed but I guess rolling resistance is a killer.

I did tow a front wheel drive RAV4 that was stuck in an inch of snow on a steep section of road, so not any crossover. I'd be curious to see a more scientific test. I wonder what the true ~35mph on dirt road range is. I expected it to be quite good given how good EV's are on-road at that speed but I guess rolling resistance is a killer.
I think the elevation gain in the video was also a major killer of their range, I think more then the dirt road. Regen back down only gets minimal back, when I go over Thompson’s pass in my 3 I 10-12% going up and use 0-2% back going down. For a net 10-14% in 18 miles(and up and down 2600 vertical feet), so using about double what I would in flat road.

Also would have been nice to know what they had the heat set at. Slow driving speeds and high cabin heat is a range killer as well. Alaska is odd for EV range, for energy usage: in the summer around town I do 20-30% better than on the highway. In the winter I do 20-30% better on the highway then around town. In the winter time running the heat matters a bunch.

Ok, how about a AWD cross over with appropriate tires.