Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an alternative to Modern Spare?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone found an alternative to modern spare? I need a compact spare...just don't want to pay their price. Someone found a Genesis compact spare that fit the M3 for half modern spare's price. Only need it for road trips where there is no cell coverage...so yes, I need it vs the plug/pump kit (which I already have for my M3 and didn't help last time).

I have been nagging Vredestein to design a "SpaceMaster" spare for Tesla, but I guess there are just too many legal hurdles to make it worthwhile.
I will check out the Nissan Murano spare concept.

I have been nagging Vredestein to design a "SpaceMaster" spare for Tesla, but I guess there are just too many legal hurdles to make it worthwhile.
I will check out the Nissan Murano spare concept.
Awhile ago a thread went sideways over this DIY stuff and you posted this:

I think using conical on a flat surface would successfully center the wheel on the lug/stud, which is what the conical nut is good for. The conical surface on the nut keeps the wheel from contacting that thread lug/stud. It assures the center bore of the wheel supports the car, and not the lugs/studs.

Going the other way around, using a flat lug on a wheel designed for conical would NOT center the wheel on the lug/stud.

Can someone comment on this? I'm no mechanic, but it makes sense to me.

Picking up from there it's a bit more work to figure out what I need.

Actually the friction of the wheel on the hub is what holds the wheel on to transfer drive weight and braking from the hub. The studs and nuts are there to make it so.

The centre bore is there to locate the wheel while you put the nuts on. It is not load bearing unless nuts start failing and boy you better be slowing down already because the studs will be feeling it real bad.

Looks like the Murano wheel is the better option as it has the correct same 66.1mm centre. Just need to find a tyre and nuts the right spec for it.

It's a little bit down on weight capacity cf Murano but better than nothing.

I can't imagine the shipping for a Modern Spare all the way here. Nobody stocking them according to Google.

Scizzor jack options? Spare Chevvy one here unlikely. I will have to make do with puck and regular heavy duty one.

I gather the lifting puck hole is a fair way in under so an extended handle for the jack so you can wind it from afar seems a good idea.

QTownTaxiGreg: "I gather the lifting puck hole is a fair way in under so an extended handle for the jack so you can wind it from afar seems a good idea."

Nope. The "lifting puck" jack placement is right under the door sill. No extended handle needed.

Scissor jack? For a 4600lb vehicle? Nope, not for me. There's a reason they're called "widow makers." In addition, with a flat tire, the jack has to slide under the lowered car, which could be a problem.

Modern Spares supplies a scissor jack of the required rating. I agree that they are less than stable outside of a carpark but what other choice is there for getting under to lift? It's not like I R an idiot and going to go underneath a Tesla sitting on any jack!

I am not familiar with bottle jacks short enough to qualify. Maybe there is something out there that isn't liable to become pressed steel modern art if the wind blows the wrong way. All ears.

Does anyone hazard a guess what the height of the jack point becomes when the 19" rim is on the ground at the side of the highway?

What do roadside assistance carry? Probably a super duper squat hydraulic gizmo with a pump in the van.

Pining for the G.O.D of a jack worthy of the word being applied to what you can use to lift up your car by the bumper bar. Remember those, kids?!

On my side is the places where it would be a problem to get a flat around my neck of the woods usually have a handy roadside drainage channel. With MY it won't be not too hard to drive into it or over it and give a whole lot more clearance, but easy to wind up jacking on ground that isn't flat so chocks are really needed.

You could go too a junk yard and get a complete collapsible spare tire and tool/jack kit from a Maserati Levante, the Levante weighed 4,650–4,861 lb (taken from Wikipedia) this is more than enough for our MY at 4,154–4,404 lb (also from Wikipedia)

You could go too a junk yard and get a complete collapsible spare tire and tool/jack kit from a Maserati Levante, the Levante weighed 4,650–4,861 lb (taken from Wikipedia) this is more than enough for our MY at 4,154–4,404 lb (also from Wikipedia)
That's exactly what I did. Unused Vredestein SpaceMaster off a Levante, got lucky: $400. No regrets, everything is tucked nicely in the deep well: HarborFrieght jack, breaker bar, socket, collapsed spare. I just recently secured the wheel/etc. with a ratcheted strap, attaching it to pre-existing bolts in the low, rear corners of the deep well, adding a ring to each bolt.

The spare tire is working perfectly! No flat tire in 2+ years!

Attachments

• Vredestein.jpg
    Vredestein.jpg
    653.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DanDi58
That's exactly what I did. Unused Vredestein SpaceMaster off a Levante, got lucky: $400. No regrets, everything is tucked nicely in the deep well: HarborFrieght jack, breaker bar, socket, collapsed spare. I just recently secured the wheel/etc. with a ratcheted strap, attaching it to pre-existing bolts in the low, rear corners of the deep well, adding a ring to each bolt.

The spare tire is working perfectly! No flat tire in 2+ years!
To center the wheel to the hub you could use a centering ring 64.1mm to 67.1mm, they do exist and would be safer to have if ever you need to use the spare wheel/tire.

Huh? With conical nuts, the wheel is centering itself on all 5 studs right?
Correct. You don't want to be using that function to wrangle the wheel into position for you. Steel nut vs alloy wheel is going to grind into the conical alloy surface as it goes.

You don't want that. Just get the conversion ring and the spare will sit up on the hub for you with just a gentle steadying push while you get a couple of nuts on with the other hand.

I've never felt any "grind" when the conical steel nut is centering the alloy wheel. IMO, a non-issue.

If I were doing it on a regular basis, maybe an issue, but once? Twice. it's a SPARE tire/wheel, only to be used rarely (or...not at all, since I've not had a flat in 2 years!)

I'm not losing sleep over it. :D

For less than 10$ I would not take the chance!
What chance? Installed correctly, conical lugnuts (which are used on numerous vehicles as OEM!) will center the wheel properly.

I'm not autocrossing, off-roading, driving in excess of 50mph with a spare installed. I'm driving the shortest distance possible to get the tire repaired/replaced.

Reactions: alain99
One more time. The hub centre spigot is only there to help you get the wheel on properly. It should always get on properly with conical nuts and brute strength.

If you can't use fingers to get the wheel nuts nearly all the way home you must be grinding them on the cones to get the job done.

One more time.
I'll monitor the situation. When I've ground down the beveled holes in the wheel to the extent that it's measurable, I'll let you know. It might take a decade or so, depending on the frequency (so far, ZERO times in 2 years!)

Interesting strategy.

Grind on one a lot or grind on all a little bit.

The first way you can pick on one hole at a time and the wheel stays symmetrical.

The second way you get a hodgepodge that winds up favouring an off centre location if you accidentally pick the same hole to be top a few times.

Or spend the 5 bucks to do the job properly. I think you underestimate steel vs aluminium with the weight of the spare on a small surface. You think I over estimate it.

If it wasn't an issue nobody would bother with hub centering, just throw the wheel on the studs and wind it on.

Reactions: Pianewman