Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland Rattle - URRGGH!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my highland since launch day, the last week a rattle has appear near/under the driver seat. I am struggling to find it as it only happens above say 50mph and I have got any friends to sit in the back and find it 😂

I have raised a service request as I assume this will be covered under warranty.

Will they give me a loaner car?

I hadn't thought of that. Can I get to it if there is anything.
I believe you can get things out but it's bloody hard. Involves magnets or double sided sticky tape on the end of somethong or other ways people have managed it in the end. If you can find a steep road to park on that can really help.

Hadn't even occurred to me until a saw a few threads on it. Think might get some third party grills to stop it.

I believe you can get things out but it's bloody hard. Involves magnets or double sided sticky tape on the end of somethong or other ways people have managed it in the end. If you can find a steep road to park on that can really help.

Hadn't even occurred to me until a saw a few threads on it. Think might get some third party grills to stop it.
I’ve ordered some of those before I’ve even got the car, after reading horror stories of loosing an M&M down there.

It's kind of a major design flaw to not have a grill over it. Just Tesla being super cheap.
Thanks for your reply on this, I think it was something stuck in the air vent. I couldn't see anything but I rigged up a flexible tube to my vacuum and sent it down the vent. I am pretty sure something rattled up the tube and the rattle has gone now.

Cancelled the service request and ordered some vent covers. I cant believe how bad the design is though, I have a 6 years old daughter who loves the toys with small plastic bits in, perfect for dropping and disappearing down those vents.

Buying grills for those two open vents was one of the first things I did when getting my car.

Disappointing that this is still not resolved on Highland. As you say, it's just cheaping out.

Reactions: piffmunday
Thanks for your reply on this, I think it was something stuck in the air vent. I couldn't see anything but I rigged up a flexible tube to my vacuum and sent it down the vent. I am pretty sure something rattled up the tube and the rattle has gone now.

Cancelled the service request and ordered some vent covers. I cant believe how bad the design is though, I have a 6 years old daughter who loves the toys with small plastic bits in, perfect for dropping and disappearing down those vents.
Ah glad you got it sorted and in a way good to know it's not some build issue somewhere, well other than Tesla not covering these vents up properly.

Ordered some air vent covers myself ready for when I get my Highland in a few weeks also. Not sure if there's anything else that feels kind of essential to get that I'm unaware of, I just happened upon a thread one day talking about these vents and a rattle to know about this one.

Ah glad you got it sorted and in a way good to know it's not some build issue somewhere, well other than Tesla not covering these vents up properly.

Ordered some air vent covers myself ready for when I get my Highland in a few weeks also. Not sure if there's anything else that feels kind of essential to get that I'm unaware of, I just happened upon a thread one day talking about these vents and a rattle to know about this one.
The only others bit I bought where all weather floor mats and a seat protector for a child seat in the back, oh and a screen protector front and rear.

I bought the Tesla flat tire kit, probably not really necessary but I wasn't paying for it.

What spec are you getting?

I bought a mesh cover for the air intake, as I understand it’s easy for leaves, insects and water to get in there. I also got a rear screen protector due to its perfect location for the kids to kick. I’m not bothering with one for the front screen.

Last edited:
The only others bit I bought where all weather floor mats and a seat protector for a child seat in the back, oh and a screen protector front and rear.

I bought the Tesla flat tire kit, probably not really necessary but I wasn't paying for it.

What spec are you getting?
An Ultra Red Long Range with 18inch wheels for maximum range. Screen protector guess makes sense, had been in two minds on that as I always hate putting them on new phones and the damn bubbles or bits of dust that always seem to get stuck in there.

My kids are adults now, they know I love them but they'll be sleeping with the fishes if they mess up my car ;)

I bought a mesh cover for the air intake, as I understand it’s easy for leaves, insects and water to get in there. I also got a rear screen protector due to its perfect location for the kids to kick. I’m not bothering with one for the front screen.
I did see one video on this, mind sharing what one you got? Is highland the same for this is just older Model 3's?

An Ultra Red Long Range with 18inch wheels for maximum range. Screen protector guess makes sense, had been in two minds on that as I always hate putting them on new phones and the damn bubbles or bits of dust that always seem to get stuck in there.

My kids are adults now, they know I love them but they'll be sleeping with the fishes if they mess up my car ;)
Very jealous of the red, if I had the choice again now I pay the extra to have it.

Yeah, not the ideal car for young kids (keeping clean 😂) but she loves the rear screen.

Reactions: FastLaneJB

You gotta open up the vacuum to see what it was.

Reactions: piffmunday
I have had my highland since launch day, the last week a rattle has appear near/under the driver seat. I am struggling to find it as it only happens above say 50mph and I have got any friends to sit in the back and find it 😂

I have raised a service request as I assume this will be covered under warranty.

Will they give me a loaner car?
good luck with a loaner.

You must expressively request one and then fingers crossed appointment will be in 2 months or so.

Just go into service centre, site there for couple of hours, drink some coffee, answer few emails (or go for a walk), take your car and leave :/

Very jealous of the red, if I had the choice again now I pay the extra to have it.

Yeah, not the ideal car for young kids (keeping clean 😂) but she loves the rear screen.
Yeah I imagine it works well for younger kids. Older ones it might be a bit too low to be comfortable plus they’ll just be Snapchatting or whatever it is they use on their mobiles anyway. 😉

Still think it’s cool for climate control though or maybe controlling music. Think the latest update also shows how long until destination, all quite useful stuff.

When you are moving the front seats to fit them, be careful not to break the mirrors in the sunshades.