Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hansshow latest Frunk kit 17-20 M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed V7 power trunk from Teslarati after 1.5 yrs of indecision whether I could do myself. Concur with all comments that Hansshow’s instructions suck and every YouTube video shows kits with (slightly) different parts and procedures. Email to Hansshow took 3 days for several, most incomprehensible, replies. Phone call still not returned after two days.

I drilled holes for strut wires behind taillights, though I did not want to. I did not want to remove bumper (working on my own) and I could not see any exposed holes/grommets to use.

All works (probably about 8 hours) except trunk does not close from display or app. Some messages indicate similar issues. Is this resolvable?

I have not been able to remove the trunk light plugs to install the kit’s cables. What is the point of controlling the 2 lights from the controller?

Hansshow's kit is good, always seems to produce little foibles on installation and when you contact them they always indicate its the first time they have had the issue you describe.
I fitted mine 2 years ago, I did take the bumper off - which really is easy to do, On the nearside I drilled a 20mm hole - there is flat circle about 25mm round where you can drill through with a step drill - The inside of which is low down underneath the little pocket below the tail lights. The right hand side already has a 20mm hole and a rubber bung in it - and exactly the same place as the left hand bit - flat and 25mm round and just inside there is where you mount the control box - so no extension required for the strut cable.

Contacting Hansshow though is awkward, instructions are gobbledegook and so are their emails, they ask for photos, videos, full explanation - they really struggle to understand what you are telling them and the person that replies to you knows diddly squat about their products - your not talking to anyone that has actually installed anything.

My kit had the latest firmware upgrade - apparently, but the on screen graphics didn't match what was happening, The graphics would show the boot closing again - but it remained open, then it wouldn't respond to either the app or the screen - just the boot release button and the newly installed button you get with the kit. I got nowhere with Hansshow trying to discuss it - we were talking about different things or that's how it felt.
I was lucky though, a chap in Australia had the same issue - only he had enough patience to pursue Hansshow and they sent him a firmware update - which fixed the problem - That chap emailed me that update and once installed it all worked perfectly - though Hansshow was adamant my issue was the first they had heard of it.

After two years it continues to work perfectly. My kit was V7 too, If it helps - I still have the two files required and the instructions of how to do it somewhere on my computer - which i could email you.

The boot lights - once you connect them to the Hansshow control unit it determines when they illuminate, how long and shuts them down, I don't know if there is any benefit or drawback to leaving the lights connected as is - I just connected them as part of the V7 process.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Hansshow's kit is good, always seems to produce little foibles on installation and when you contact them they always indicate its the first time they have had the issue you describe.
I fitted mine 2 years ago, I did take the bumper off - which really is easy to do, On the nearside I drilled a 20mm hole - there is flat circle about 25mm round where you can drill through with a step drill - The inside of which is low down underneath the little pocket below the tail lights. The right hand side already has a 20mm hole and a rubber bung in it - and exactly the same place as the left hand bit - flat and 25mm round and just inside there is where you mount the control box - so no extension required for the strut cable.

Contacting Hansshow though is awkward, instructions are gobbledegook and so are their emails, they ask for photos, videos, full explanation - they really struggle to understand what you are telling them and the person that replies to you knows diddly squat about their products - your not talking to anyone that has actually installed anything.

My kit had the latest firmware upgrade - apparently, but the on screen graphics didn't match what was happening, The graphics would show the boot closing again - but it remained open, then it wouldn't respond to either the app or the screen - just the boot release button and the newly installed button you get with the kit. I got nowhere with Hansshow trying to discuss it - we were talking about different things or that's how it felt.
I was lucky though, a chap in Australia had the same issue - only he had enough patience to pursue Hansshow and they sent him a firmware update - which fixed the problem - That chap emailed me that update and once installed it all worked perfectly - though Hansshow was adamant my issue was the first they had heard of it.

After two years it continues to work perfectly. My kit was V7 too, If it helps - I still have the two files required and the instructions of how to do it somewhere on my computer - which i could email you.

The boot lights - once you connect them to the Hansshow control unit it determines when they illuminate, how long and shuts them down, I don't know if there is any benefit or drawback to leaving the lights connected as is - I just connected them as part of the V7 process.
Thanks, a big help.

I did take the plunge to try to finish the project in about 8 hours and drilled holes between the two taillight studs. That appeared to be one place with the most void of the tailight assembly and the taillight went back easily. I am having a problem with the left TL plug. I can't get it in far enough to engage the clip so the taillight does not work.

I also resorted to using the cable(s) where plugs fit together instead of the manual or videos, Frustrating but seemed to work out.

I have been having graphics issues as well and having it continuously working with the app and display. I can open from any of the 4 points, but sometimes can not use the app or display to close. It seems to resolve itself on one app but then doesn't work on another (my wife's phone).

I would like to try the firmware update; not sure how I will get to the controller if that is where I need to flash. Please advise.

Thanks for your reassuring message.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, a big help.

I did take the plunge to try to finish the project in about 8 hours and drilled holes between the two taillight studs. That appeared to be one place with the most void of the tailight assembly and the taillight went back easily. I am having a problem with the left TL plug. I can't get it in far enough to engage the clip so the taillight does not work.

I also resorted to using the cable(s) where plugs fit together instead of the manual or videos, Frustrating but seemed to work out.

I have been having graphics issues as well and having it continuously working with the app and display. I can open from any of the 4 points, but sometimes can not use the app or display to close. It seems to resolve itself on one app but then doesn't work on another (my wife's phone).

I would like to try the firmware update; not sure how I will get to the controller if that is where I need to flash. Please advise.

Thanks for your reassuring message.

You will find as Tesla releases updates it will change something quite minor with the powered boot operation - now when i say minor I mean - after an update i may find the boot lid will not close using the app - but it does respond OK to the boot close button and the onscreen graphic - then, after the next update everything is working fine, also had changes whereby the boot lid will only close from the app and the screen if you press the brake pedal first and hold it - the graphic onscreen is a faded grey colour - press and hold the brake pedal and the "Boot Open" text reverts to solid black - so touch it and the lid closes.

Yes I did say the "Boot Open" graphic Yours may say "Trunk Open" - My onscreen commands don't change - it always says "Open" irrespective of whether the boot lid is open or closed - I open the lid - the text fades to grey once fully opened, I press the brake pedal and the graphic becomes solid black again - and both the app and the onscreen will close the lid.
I also use my Apple watch to open My Frunk and Trunk - or as we Brits say Bonnet and Boot - With the boot the Watch will not close it - but it will close my Bonnet - sometimes it asks for confirmation and i say "Yes" and it works or I need to tap "confirm" on the watch to close it.
The method to operate does seem to change a tiny bit with many updates of the car - but you get used to maybe having to alter the methods.

As for accessing the controller - You fitted the Control box and usually its down on the right hand side inside the boot - where the Sub is - mine is fitted to the support bracket of the Sub - now, where you have plugged in the struts and the other components of the V7 system you will see a slot for a micro SD card, both files that update the firmware are uploaded that way - it takes just a few minutes to do - I cant remember the exact order and process but I will have those instructions on my computer somewhere.
I know when I uploaded the new firmware I thought I had broken it - after the second file updated, the boot lid automatically closed on me, I was still leaning inside the boot taking the SD card out - I pulled the power cord out and reinserted and everything worked perfectly.

I had to remove the left taillight again as I had a bent pin, making it inoperative. After fixing, I also was able to remove the Tesla trunk/boot light plugs and replace with Hansshow’s. All working as expected.

I have the same inconsistencies you describe with operation, I can open from display, app & latch. Closing varies but always from latch and new button and stepping on brake before pressing on display. And, same as you, graphics changes from one action to the next.

Maybe firmware update won’t solve these issues if you seem more related to Tesla updates.

I had to remove the left taillight again as I had a bent pin, making it inoperative. After fixing, I also was able to remove the Tesla trunk/boot light plugs and replace with Hansshow’s. All working as expected.

I have the same inconsistencies you describe with operation, I can open from display, app & latch. Closing varies but always from latch and new button and stepping on brake before pressing on display. And, same as you, graphics changes from one action to the next.

Maybe firmware update won’t solve these issues if you seem more related to Tesla updates.
I know in the past Tesla changed something major in 2020 and it totally stopped Hansshow's aftermarket boot kits from working and Hansshow released a whole update for everyone. Since then we just get these foibles whereby an update changes something but doesn't stop it working - you just adapt.

I have recently been in touch with Hansshow to see if there is a more recent firmware update that ensures the foibles are negated - their response was a very enthusiastic - just wait, Tesla is releasing an update and you will find everything will work perfectly. Now maybe its that developers of aftermarket kit are notified in advance by Tesla - like Apple does for its phones - so on a new release all the products are available from day 1 - certainly Hansshow seemed to convey that - though that's probably more me deciphering Hansshow's gobbledegook replies.

It all sounds like your system is working like mine.