Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unexpected things happen in the real world, and it's better for Tesla to fix the software now than after rolling it out to us.
Assuming both reports (video and comment) are actually with 12.4, it could potentially reflect the neural networks are overfitting to cleaned training data and overeacting to unexpected real world differences, e.g., camera calibration or sensor quality. Something simple as a bug splat partially blocking the front cameras in just the "wrong" way could confuse neural networks especially as predictions in general are made more sharp.

12.4 neural networks can still be 5x-10x better in the expected conditions but also perform worse for unexpected situations.

Reactions: David Wang
Agreed, I think they are way more focused on getting all to V12, that 12.4 is a low priority right now
I wonder it's better for Tesla to keep separate firmware branches for different hardware sets instead of lumping everything to the main branch to reduce the complexity.

Similarly with FSD branches. Should Tesla have geofenced FSD? (NA, EU, RH Drive countries, China). Will this help reducing memory and CPU usage?

Good example of hand gestures today.
Lights at intersection were off. Police office was in the middle of the intersection directing traffic with gestures. FSD totally bailed.
No wheel of death, FSD just disabled on it's own. I suspect it saw a stationery pedestrian and didn't know what to do.

This is the type of error that would prevent robotaxi from working so support for hand gestures will have to be a priority. I have many occurrences every week where I live.
True, but why are you so focused on Robo taxis? I don’t think any of us here want to use our car as a Robo taxi we’d all be happy with solid level three performance.

Maybe it’s not 12.4 that’s the holdup, based on the now six 2024.14.x updates, maybe there’s a an issue that’s present in 2024.9.x also that they can’t seem to iron out.
They are focusing on getting all fsd cars off V11, this has been apparent by seeing all the iterations of fsd software going to different vehicles. There is no .9 branch issue.
Not 1 time in 3 years has Tesla ever had 6 plus versions of fsd, in this case all 12.3.6. at the sams time. They are struggling with the different models and hardware to achieve it. Once they iron it out, all the OG testers will move from 3.25 to the working branch of 2024.9.5 or 2024.9.5.1 and so on.
@JulienW predicted over a week ago, we might 1st see V12.4 on a 24.9.6 or .7 or later.
He was right on track

Last edited: