Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory OEM SiriusXM nearly working in Tesla 2022 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Holy cr@p, that's less than $1 a month.

Full disclosure, on this. When Sirius Satellite Radio first launched (this was many years before Sirius and XM merged into one company), they were trying to get customers. This was hard for them because just the addon hardware (3 different boxes at the time) to receive the service was over $400, and you still needed to install it yourself (or pay for that too). So they ran a "friends and family" promotion where, if you agree to pay for monthly service (at $13/month) for 3 years, they'll give you all the hardware for free. So I did that. Just beyond a year or so into paying $13 a month I knew I liked the service, and said I wanted to buy the lifetime sub. The very nice customer service rep essentially credited all the months I'd paid for service as credit toward lifetime, so I paid the remaining $240, buying out my commitment, getting my hardware for free, and had lifetime Sirius.

At that time they only had one subscription tier and all channels were inside it. Somewhere around 2013ish I think SiriusXM had merged by this point, but they broke it into a regular and premium tier. Howard Stern, a handful of other channels, and all the sports were in the higher tier that I didn't have. I called up SiriusXM and asked if I could get the premium tier added as lifetime: $75 charge. So I paid that.

So technically I paid $240 for lifetime in 2001 to 2003ish, then one more one-time payment for $75 about 10 years ago. But the end result is SiriusXM lifetime with every channel, so I'm happy with that.

• Love
Reactions: helobubba
Anyone out there get 2024.14.x yet? Wondering if XM is still enabled for 3/Y since it seems like a major update. More curious to see if anything gets removed from Intel cars given that we’re not getting all of the features of 2024.14.x

that's actually a really good point / question...although i would hope they wouldn't intentionally turn it off for intel cars, i also wouldn't expect them to regularly break stuff like they do.

edit: based on this it seems we might be getting the updated media player after all, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Don't know because I haven't tested it. I can on the way home tonight. Is this the one where when you push left/right it changes source, not station?

if you can that’d be great, thanks.

and not quite… when you single click quickly left and right on the left scroll wheel it should cycle thru your favorites. the bug is that it ignores your favorites and goes sequentially thru the channels in numerical order.

you may have to delete and re-add the favorites to get it to work based on previous times they’ve broken and fixed it. also, it may work initially and then stop working after some period of time…you won’t know it’s fixed until it works as intended and stays that way for at least a few hours.

if you can that’d be great, thanks.

and not quite… when you single click quickly left and right on the left scroll wheel it should cycle thru your favorites. the bug is that it ignores your favorites and goes sequentially thru the channels in numerical order.

you may have to delete and re-add the favorites to get it to work based on previous times they’ve broken and fixed it. also, it may work initially and then stop working after some period of time…you won’t know it’s fixed until it works as intended and stays that way for at least a few hours.

Tried it on the way home last night and it worked for about 15 minutes but then it slowly broke. When it switched to sequential it would go to the next channel and then the next jump would be to the next favorite. Eventually it went to all sequential. During this test I was switching a lot.

I tried it again this morning and just used it like a normally would -- switching when I didn't like the song. This time I didn't have the problem. I'll continue to test this out and will post my results along the way.

Reactions: crackers8199
Tried it on the way home last night and it worked for about 15 minutes but then it slowly broke. When it switched to sequential it would go to the next channel and then the next jump would be to the next favorite. Eventually it went to all sequential. During this test I was switching a lot.

I tried it again this morning and just used it like a normally would -- switching when I didn't like the song. This time I didn't have the problem. I'll continue to test this out and will post my results along the way.
Fun, it's broken in a different way now :rolleyes:

• Funny

interesting...and frustrating at the same time. did you try removing and re-adding all of your favorites before doing this? the last time they fixed it, there was some weird behavior going on until i removed and re-added everything which is when i finally got it to stick.

for example: last time they did this, it would only cycle through the first 20 or so favorites in the list no matter how many you had before jumping back to the beginning of the list. once i deleted and re-added them all, it then started running through the entire list. makes no sense, but the fact that a multi billion dollar company selling $100k+ cars can't get something as simple as the damn radio to work consistently doesn't really make sense either...so here we are.

either way, thanks for being a guinea pig on this for all of us!

interesting...and frustrating at the same time. did you try removing and re-adding all of your favorites before doing this? the last time they fixed it, there was some weird behavior going on until i removed and re-added everything which is when i finally got it to stick.

for example: last time they did this, it would only cycle through the first 20 or so favorites in the list no matter how many you had before jumping back to the beginning of the list. once i deleted and re-added them all, it then started running through the entire list. makes no sense, but the fact that a multi billion dollar company selling $100k+ cars can't get something as simple as the damn radio to work consistently doesn't really make sense either...so here we are.

Hey, you never know. The person who coded the SXM tuner could've been fired! Clearly, it's old-fashioned and outdated, and no one uses it, so I'm sure some infotainment lead probably let them go because who'd still use such an old technology like SXM in this day and age? You gotta make those cuts where it matters! /s

I did remove and re-add for both tests.

Tried it on the way home last night and it was broken right from the beginning. It had worked fine when I pulled into work.

So I'm done testing it until a new version comes out.