Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

disable sentry mode at home disables USB drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model Y with the Intel chip. After one of the latest updates, I noticed my Sentry mode was x'd out saying check the usb drive. Since the USB drive is almost 4 years old I checked it on my PC and it worked ok. Rebooting the screen would enable the drive but sentry mode would always x out again. I tried a different new, unused drive that works ok on PCs but it did the same thing - requiring a reboot to reenable the drive. Finally it dawned on me that it always disabled the drive after I've parked at home where I had Sentry mode excluded. I decided to leave sentry mode enabled at home as well and so far the USB drive has stayed enabled.

Is this a known bug? Unique to Intel chips? Car is garaged and phone is usually within range so unlikely that any events would be triggered - but this must add some phantom drain that I'd prefer to avoid.

I have seen some other threads here on the fact that with some new software or other, people are complaining that the USB drive does not wake up after the car goes to sleep.

Doesnt happen to my 2018 Model 3 Performance (which obviously has intel) but I have seen a few different people post about it. Where those are right now, I dont know. I am not up for searching for it as I am recovering from a medical procedure atm and dont feel like digging up threads. I am posting this just to let you know I remember other threads on it.

Note, just saw you are leaving sentry enabled to counteract. Since that prevents vehicle sleep it would prevent the issue, but its a lot of additional energy loss as you allude to.

Reactions: rstrauss
I have had the same problem on my 2021 MY starting around March. Seems to be worse with latest update. Does seem to be tied to being parked at home with sentry mode off. Really a pain as seems like would have to reboot everyday or leave sentry mode on which uses like 5% battery a day. Apparently not important for Robotaxi so not a priority for Tesla. Only alternative seems to be to pay for streaming which sucks.

I’ve had the same problem, seemed to start at the beginning of this year. I have a 2020 Model Y, and when this issue happened, i tried 3-4 different drives, all of which i new worked, and SD cards with adapters, also which worked before and nothing helped. Took it to the service center, and they plugged in one of the Tesla branded thumb drives and it was working, but the issue I have is also at home when Sentry mode is automatically disabled. Every single time i get in the car at home to leave, the camera icon has the red X of doom, and I have to reboot the screen to get it working again.

I am not up for searching for it as I am recovering from a medical procedure atm and dont feel like digging up threads. I
unable to sleep so still up, so found one of the threads I was referring to:

Here is one more that seems to be similar:

Last edited:
Reactions: rstrauss
Yesterday, was the first time in a LONG time, where it just resumed playback without me having to do anything. Otherwise, it "normally" greets me with the spinning circle (and no music).

In my case, I do have Sentry ON, so it shouldn't be an issue related to waking from sleep. Assuming it can't sleep because of Sentry.

Another topic:

I posted experiencing this usb issue also on my 2020 MY.
I continue to experience this issue (at the moment it is xed out - I will try to open the app to see if that reinstates it).

Edit: just opened the app, went to the car, and the x is gone and camera clips are available to view. So further confirmation (tip from another poster) that there may be another alternative to a soft reboot.

Last edited: