Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody have direct experience with Amber Electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've watched the NEM rates in Charge HQ that changes every 5 minutes and was excited to charge at free or negative and sell when high (Smartshift & Charge HQ), but apparently there are a few increases added to the NEM price by Amber? (Transmission fee? Hedge fee? etc) and they do it over 30 minutes instead of 5 minutes. I wish we could access the actual Amber rates (without an API) so I could compare for a day or three.
Yes - for the network fee, Amber are just passing through the NUOS (Network Use-Of-Service) charges from your distributor. You can look up your distributor's tariffs to see what that will be (I think Amber will put you on to the applicable time-of-use tariff at your distributor if possible).

The half-hour-averaging is a little annoying, because it means you don't know what the price for each 30 minute period is going to end up being until the price for the last 5-minute period in the interval is set.

• Informative
Reactions: OzVic
Yes - for the network fee, Amber are just passing through the NUOS (Network Use-Of-Service) charges from your distributor. You can look up your distributor's tariffs to see what that will be (I think Amber will put you on to the applicable time-of-use tariff at your distributor if possible).

Yes that’s what they do. The ToU network charges for different distributors are provided in full here:

Reading their many FAQs, it seems the “Live Price” displayed per kWh in the Amber App is the realtime wholesale price, plus the ToU network charges for your particular distributor (as per above), plus regulatory compliance costs, carbon offset costs, and a hedge cost used to fund Amber’s fair pricing guarantee.

It seems 100% GreenPower charges, for those who elect to pay it, are not included in the per kWh price displayed, but I am seeking clarification from Amber. I think it should be included if the customer is paying it since it is a straight per kWh charge.

Amber have taken control of my battery so I am formally now part of their VPP.

I noticed this (overcast) morning my PW2 started to grid charge while electricity is (relatively) cheap and certainly cheaper than the 62c/kWh forecast at 5:30pm today when Ausgrid is forecast to have 0% renewables 😱.

My PW2 got to 52% then grid charging stopped, presumably because Amber’s forecasting expected a sunnier arvo in Sydney and that my own solar would get it to 100% before my house starts drawing from the PW2. And that looks to be on the money so far with my battery now at 91%.

So far my electricity is costing about $6/day. If that includes the GreenPower charge, that is comparable to what I’d expect from my previous provider for this quarter. Given the time of year and rubbish weather in NSW recently, that implies that worst case, Amber is about the same as a major. I would expect under more favourable renewable conditions, Amber will really start to shine ☀️ ha ha.

Nice to see the thread is going along and a bit more general.

I’ve now been on Amber in Victoria since maybe November last year, here’s a bit of an update:

• I am still about $25 in credit at the moment. The vast majority of the year’s credit was the outage from the storms in Victoria earlier this year. During “normal operation”, it is about neutral or slightly in credit during the summer periods and will be in debit over the winter months (although the $300 from the budget will top up the finances).

• I have found that our completely electric household (2 x EVs, batteries, air con/heating etc) makes the options to charge cars at cheaper times highly effective. We do have a swim spa, which consumes a truck load of power (about the same as the rest of the household minus EVs), so I reckon if we didn’t have that indulgence, we’d easily be in credit.

• There are often a few hours in the summer where we were paid quite some attractive rates to consume energy. This can be a bit fickle, and you can miss it, but it was usually around 12-3 pm on really hot days over summer.

• Amber are continually working on their model - a lot of the reason I was struggling to put credit into the account over summer was the quite negative FITs (as it is wholesale) of maybe -5 c/kWhr to -10 c/kWhr. Amber have gone into a partnership(?) with a mob (Voltello) that have a pretty cheap wifi gadget that can detect the negative FIT and then reduce the load to the household requirement. Because my inverters are Fronius and batter is Tesla, the interface isn’t perfect (it doesn’t know that I still have space to fill in the battery), but they’re working on a native Tesla API I think. I could also stump up for a Fronius smart meter to make it seamless, but I think I’ll wait because this won’t generally be an issue until the spring, and they’re quite nimble with their development so I expect they’ll have this sorted shortly anyway.

• In Victoria (vs. what I see some YouTubers say in Sydney), over a long term, I will likely be struggling to make back the fixed network fees + Amber charge on a month-to-month basis, but probably will have a few high-value events that will top up the account. So on balance, my year-on-year costs will be zero.

So, overall, using EVs, running a full household on electricity and some smarts around buying and selling power from the battery gives me effectively zero yearly operating costs.

With the Amber improvements to the Tesla API, it will be much better for a fully M3/MY + 2xPW house, and I think that there are some further improvements that they could do for the AI around buying and selling power during this time of year (it sees a 12-hour expensive price, buys power, and then by the time the price comes around, it is a lot less, and so you now just have expensive power),

So, overall, I will definitely be sticking with Amber to see how it goes for the rest of the year. I really hope they are making money, because I really, really like the startup nature of the company, the constant improvements, and even (I suspect) that they could get some revenue streams by getting interest etc. on the money in credit.

The thing that would make this go gangbusters is V2G. I have seen a very nice, probably safe, but illegal set of instructions to get a V2L car like a Hyundai or Kia to trickle feed the battery via installing a further inverter to fake it being a solar panel. If this worked, or the US-style Cybertruck PowerShare thingy all worked, it could seriously assist with stabilising the power grid.

Yeah, absolutely. That would be awesome when FIT's go into the $10+ range.

I guess it varies state to state, I'm over 800 in credit now in ACT after only 6 months.
This was one of the reasons I started the thread as Amber in Victoria - NSW/ACT seem to have a real advantage with the way the NEM is set up for this, and I was curious whether it was useful here. But I am still pretty satisfied.

Reactions: Jules22
Nice to see the thread is going along and a bit more general.

Thanks for your observations! Still very very early days for me, but observations to date (noting I am on Ausgrid, NSW):
  1. The price forecasts are a bit wonky. I get that it is just a forecast, and you don’t know the final 30 minute price until the final 5 minutes (due to the 5-minute settlement periods) but so far, when the App has forecasted particularly cheap energy in the day, it has never actually materialised. Even earlier today, it was forecasting 15c/kWh around 2-5pm, and I was licking my lips to charge my Tesla, but now that time’s arrived, it’s turned out to be 21c and the super cheap forecast for the rest of the day has disappeared. So to date, I have never deliberately charged my car for example in response to a price, because the price has never gone low enough.
  2. Similarly, the “Plan” today under SmartCharge keeps threatening to grid charge my PW2 in response to cheap power, but it keeps slipping back and not happening. This is an issue because Amber didn’t charge my PW2 overnight, it’s overcast in Sydney, and it’s sitting on only 21% SoC at the moment. The 2-hour window left to change this is shrinking rapidly, so I am at high risk of having to pay 50c/kWh+ rates this evening.
  3. Amber has yet to use my battery to export to the grid. It threatened to do it yesterday, but it never happened.
  4. I’ll be very pleasantly surprised if my account ever goes into credit. It almost certainly won’t in winter in NSW. I have a modest solar array and a fairly immovable need to grid charge my LEAF overnight every night because it’s a dumb car. I have never seen the Amber grid rates overnight go below 23c/kWh.
  5. My PW2/SolarEdge setup is completely compatible with Amber and they can automatically curtail solar production to stop export if the export prices go negative.
I have also provided Amber some other feedback on their App which they have thanked me for.

This is a science experiment for me. I’m expecting my first few Amber bills though winter will be considerably higher than what I was paying my previous provider, but time will tell.

This was one of the reasons I started the thread as Amber in Victoria - NSW/ACT seem to have a real advantage with the way the NEM is set up for this, and I was curious whether it was useful here.
There's pluses and minuses. NSW can get more of the very high feed-ins, but it also doesn't tend to get the regular strongly negative prices that you mention earlier either.

NSW can get more of the very high feed-ins, but it also doesn't tend to get the regular strongly negative prices that you mention earlier either.

In my one-week sample, I’ve yet to see a price in NSW go below 15c/kWh at any time. It’s forecast to hit $13.60/kWh at 5:30pm today, with exports at that time being $12.21/kWh. Amber is planning to preserve my battery later this afternoon and then discharge to the grid when the price spikes to cash in. We’ll see what actually happens…

In my one-week sample, I’ve yet to see a price in NSW go below 15c/kWh at any time. It’s forecast to hit $13.60/kWh at 5:30pm today, with exports at that time being $12.21/kWh. Amber is planning to preserve my battery later this afternoon and then discharge to the grid when the price spikes to cash in. We’ll see what actually happens…
The AEMO pre-dispatch only has that spike lasting one half-hour period (the prices on either side currently being 30c and 40c) so I would expect it to vanish before then.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
The AEMO pre-dispatch only has that spike lasting one half-hour period (the prices on either side currently being 30c and 40c) so I would expect it to vanish before then.

Well, it didn’t! 😱

This might bore people who have been on Amber for a while and have seen this before, but the price spike is on and I am currently exporting the grid at $7.80/kWh and the export price at 6pm is forecast to be $14.81/kWh 😱😱. That is only 740 times the FIT on my previous plan! 😲

A few times this afternoon Amber panicked and started to grid charge my battery, only to decide to stop after 5 or 10 minutes when the timing of the price spike slipped. But at 5:20 the panic went full bore and Amber grid charged my battery at 5 kW and price of 41c/kWh for 10 minutes before the price spike hit. The battery got to 98%. And now it is discharging at 4.3 kW.

The spike is forecast to last for another hour, so my battery would be fairly depleted by the time it is over. But earning some pretty good coin in the process. I’ll see all the numbers tomorrow.

Only ended up making about $25 profit from it but I had the oven and a bunch of other things going through the middle of it.

OK I earned $12 from that spike yesterday - a bit less than I thought it might be, but it meant that I’ve had my first day with Amber where overall I was paid to use electricity - nearly $7. My average daily cost is now down to $4.80.

Forecasting is an imperfect science, I think Amber were a bit late filling my battery and they had to do it at a fairly high price at the last minute, reducing the profit.

No spikes forecast today.

Reactions: Jules22
Meanwhile the Amber price in VIC was $0.44.

Don't they have a wire across the Murray River?
The VIC-NSW interconnector was constrained down to zero flow at the time, likely because of transmission constraints in southern NSW that mean the power can't actually get to the big load centres further north. (This is what HumeLink is supposed to fix).

Frequently that interconnector runs counter-price, taking electricity from NSW to VIC even when the price in NSW is considerably higher than in VIC - often due to the same transmission constraints.

• Informative
Reactions: Max Spaghetti
So looks like they've just introduced "Advanced Price Forecasts" which are supposed to give a better idea of potential prices in combination with the AEMO forecast.

1716274264180.jpeg

Reactions: cafz
Interesting thread, I’ve learned a lot looking through some of the previous posts. I’m in VIC, 16kW solar system with Powerwall2 and a Model Y. Currently on a flat rate plan which equates to 18c/kWh. I’m at a crossroads now, looking at all these plans and now Amber. Right now, with winter looming in VIC my flat rate is good and bad, most days I can get all most of the PW2 charged, but there are days when I can’t and we need to run the heaters more. In that case, the 18c/kWh isn’t bad, but at this rate the ROI on the PW2 is extremely long.

I don’t need to charge the car often and have a static load of around 500W (fridges, cameras, switches, APs, etc).

Based on that, do I try this Amber Smart Shift out? Or perhaps look to some time of EV plan with a lower overnight rate of 8c/kWh and try to sneakily charge my PW2 instead of the car?