Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC not blowing fresh air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scedarst

Sep 28, 2023
USA
AC will not blow fresh air through vents. Recirculate works fine. when I remove the cabin filters airflow is fine there. What controls/diverts airflow through the vents..i think this is the problem??

On occasion the Climate Control system gets lost in cyberspace, real space too. Sometimes you can kick start the Climate Control by switching from Auto to Manual and lowering or raising the set temperature and this will start the HVAC blowing air from the vents as you expect. You can try rebooting the infotainment computer. In my experience the next time I drive after one of the Lost episodes the Climate Control returns to normal.

The Climate Control system has twelve (12!) heating modes and three (3) cooling modes of operation. With so many different modes it is not surprising that sometimes the system goes tilt.

Reactions: fsb1
AC will not blow fresh air through vents. Recirculate works fine. when I remove the cabin filters airflow is fine there. What controls/diverts airflow through the vents..i think this is the problem??
If your AC is not providing fresh air through the vents but works fine on recirculate, and airflow improves when cabin filters are removed, there could be several underlying causes. First, even if you've inspected the cabin filters, double-check to ensure they are properly seated and oriented; a misalignment or incorrect installation can obstruct airflow. Second, the blend door actuator, which controls the shift between fresh and recirculated air, might be malfunctioning or jammed, preventing the intake of fresh air

I really wish, especially this time of the year, you could just push a button or say a command and have the system deliver just pure, uncooled or unheated, outside air. Seems like very few cars with auto HVAC have the ability to do this without a lot of manual adjustment, but since Tesla's is all SW controlled, you'd think it could easily be done.

Reactions: QUBO and SkyDog
I have a 2020 Model 3. Some time last year I started experiencing an issue. I am driving normally with the AC on and suddenly air stops flowing to the cabin. You can feel that everything is cooling fine but it seems like all vent doors are blocked off and the air doesn't flow out to the cabin. This became an issue in every single drive (I live in southern Florida). I back in January I took the car to Tesla to be repaired. They ran a bunch of diagnostics, they said they couldn't replicate the issue or find any problems. I won't go into the whole length of my discussion with them but to make a long story short, once I drove out of there the issue had disappeared and never came back until a few days ago [they did say that there was an issue that was affecting 3 cars in the whole of the U.S. and required replacing some component - needless to say a high ticket item]. So it seems that whatever they did had fixed it. Normally it requires me to get out of the car, lock it and come back for the system to work again. No change of setting seems to fix the issue. Next time I experience the problem I will try to reboot the infotainment system to see if that helps but I believe that I have tried it in the past.

If anyone has heard or experienced this bizarre behavior and has any ideas I would greatly appreciate your feedback. :)

When my 2020 LRMY HVAC does something similar I will lower the temperature setting in large increments, i.e. 5 degrees) until the system responds. Usually the system will start blowing colder air in under a minute.

Does your car have the Biohazard Defense Hepa FIlter?? If the filter elements aren't replaced every 1-2 years, the airflow from fresh air can be very low. So when the system switches to fresh, you can have issues with airflow.

Does your car have the Biohazard Defense Hepa FIlter?? If the filter elements aren't replaced every 1-2 years, the airflow from fresh air can be very low. So when the system switches to fresh, you can have issues with airflow.
No, my car doesn't have the Biohazard Defense feature. There is very minimal, if any, airflow to the cabin and it is something that changes suddenly and noticeably. You notice the change in flow and sound and then you know that the system is "stuck" in the "close all vents" problem. I have no idea as to what causes it to change and why it rarely fixes itself until the car is "off (so to speak)". I have even tried turning the AC completely to see if that resets it but nothing. I will check the filters to see if there might be any indication that they are affecting flow in any way. I might even try to use the car for one a day without filter to see how it behaves (though I understand that this is not a very wise test).