Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model 3 Performance Announced - Discussion thread post announcement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The #1 reason I am upgrading is the suspension. The old M3 suspension is so bad. Awful as a daily driver. Just terrible. Not even worthy upgrading aftermarket bc you just can’t fix it IMO. You feel every bump in the road vibrate through the seats. I honestly don’t know how you can even engineer a car to have that bad of a stock suspension.

The #2 reason is the Intel Atom processor sucks. It kinda sucked when I got the car in Sept 2021, which makes sense bc they introduced the Ryzen shortly thereafter. I hope they don’t upgrade the Ryzen soon, or if they do at least make it so it can be upgraded at the service center for a fee.

This new M3P could be a car I keep for a long time. All the speculative future pipeline stuff I don’t see as a big deal (e.g. front bumper camera). I could always be surprised though.
Odd cause my 22’ LR I run with 20’s but 245/35/20 for a bit extra rubber. I keep psi to 38 and tbh it makes a world of diff on daily comfort. But yes it’s still fundamentally a go kart lol

Reactions: Dan84
Unplugged's walkthrough made it seem quite different.
Did it? Everything looked the same too me. The lower spring arm has a slightly different design, but same mounts. There is a bushing instead of a bearing in the upper rear camber arm mount for the LR cars. All their old parts are still going to work.

The new shocks and springs bolt to the old car.
The rear camber and tow links are the same.
I bet the UP front upper control bolts right in.

The original design and kinematics are very very good. The problem was too soft springs and the terrible damping matched to them.

Nothing has fundamentally changed with the suspension. Aftermarket coilovers fix it and make it exactly what you want it to be. It's all about better tuning.

I disagree with this statement. I ran three different suspension setups on my 2019 3, all known for their "comfort" design. It still never rode like a civilized car and NEVER fixed the awful road harshness transmission into the cabin. The suspension is just a part of the whole package that improved the 2024 refresh. The suspension bushings, the bushings mounting the subframe to the unibody were just as important. Yes, all the parts have the same shape as before. But the durometer of rubber in mountain points makes a HUGE difference in road harshness.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I disagree with this statement. I ran three different suspension setups on my 2019 3, all known for their "comfort" design. It still never rode like a civilized car and NEVER fixed the awful road harshness transmission into the cabin. The suspension is just a part of the whole package that improved the 2024 refresh. The suspension bushings, the bushings mounting the subframe to the unibody were just as important. Yes, all the parts have the same shape as before. But the durometer of rubber in mountain points makes a HUGE difference in road harshness.
Exactly. Like putting lipstick on a pig as they say

The NVH part of the chassis has definitely been improved. This has more to do with where they placed the sound and vibration absorbing materials.
I did a full Dyno matt and MLV install in my car for a stereo install and it made a huge improvement in suspension noise transmission. Tesla obviously has the capacity to make it better from the factory and they have. Even the doors sound different when you tap the outer skin.

I'm glad Tesla is improving the cars. Small changes can make a difference.

Did it? Everything looked the same too me. The lower spring arm has a slightly different design, but same mounts. There is a bushing instead of a bearing in the upper rear camber arm mount for the LR cars. All their old parts are still going to work.

The new shocks and springs bolt to the old car.
The rear camber and tow links are the same.
I bet the UP front upper control bolts right in.

The original design and kinematics are very very good. The problem was too soft springs and the terrible damping matched to them.

Lol I’m no expert. Just seems like new shocks, springs, knuckle arm, etc add up to more than 5%. In any case, it appears the end result is 100% better. Looking forward to how the aftermarket will dial it in further.

Reactions: Dan84
So should us pre-refresh owners look into bushing swaps? Some of the suspension arms have different part numbers but look otherwise the same. I assume this is related to different rubber.

I don't think anyone has tried swapping all the bits yet, though a few people are working on spring and damper swaps. Definitely worth experimenting with the new 24+ suspension arms/bushings if a few hundred dollars on parts and the time spent tinkering doesn't bother you. I don't know to what extent the suspension arm bushings make a difference vs. the subframe mounting isolators. Subframe swap would obviously be a pretty big undertaking!