Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your one primary reason for buying

Your main motivator for purchasing the S

• Expected cost savings in gas and engine maintenance

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Reduce demand on (foreign) oil/geo political

Votes: 37 35.2%
  • Convenience of charging at home rather than filling up at a gas station

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Environmental benefits

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Performance and acceleration

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Quietness/ride experience

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Seating for 7 people/cargo capacity

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Crash safety rating

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smart glass cockpit/the very latest technology

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Great body design aesthetic

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need "All of the above" as a choice!

The truth is that I've always been interested in alternative fuel cars/EVs, and became really committed when I saw Revenge of the Electric Car. But I loathe the idea that one has to "sacrifice" to have an EV, either in looks, performance, or practicality. Tesla's goal of making EVs that are better than ICEs in every respect is really what makes me so excited to own one, so it really is kind of an "all of the above" reason -- an EV without compromise!

What makes the Model S so compelling is not one feature: it's the combination of all the right features / uses.
Innovation is not creating something completely new, but the use of existing knowledge and methods in new ways. Tesla does this well.

Indeed. Many of the things on the poll, plus others mentioned here and in other threads (hasn't there been a poll like this before?), add up to the total package.

Including Bardlebee's "the wow factor" and your own "The FUTURE Future future" thing. ;-)

As many have pointed out, my true answer is "All of the above". For the poll I voted Performance. I want people to experience that EVs can be so much more than glorified golf carts. And even though Model S is not the first one out there (huge thanks to all Roadster owners :biggrin:) it's the first EV to meet most of my needs with kick-ass performance.

Okay I thought back to how I first got excited about Tesla, and while it was close--it was really the whole "this will be good for the environment and FUN, not a punishing crappy experience like past EV efforts"--to me this distills into the environmental part. Now, it's the whole package, but initially it was those two (but slightly more, environmental). I think. ;-)

I first saw the Model S pics and said to myself, "Self, what a gorgeous car!" I then discovered it cost less than half of the Aston Martin Rapide. I then discovered it was all electric. And since I make my living in the electric industry, working on sustainable energy solutions, it all clicked: style, cost, sustainability.

The original reason I chose the Model S is 7 seats. Huge selling point with my wife, and definitely needed for us with 4 kids. If she takes one kid with her in the Odyssey I cannot go anywhere with the other 3 in my Civic Hybrid -- can't fit three car seats. I don't like being stuck at home, so there we go.

That being said, once the 7 seats won me over, EVERYTHING ELSE about the car won the rest of me over.

Chinatown is one of my favorite movies of all time and there is one line that sums up my answer to this question.

Jake Gittes: Why are you doing it? How much better can you eat? What could you buy that you can't already afford?
Noah Cross: The future, Mr. Gittes! The future.

I was torn between several options, and now I have buyer's remorse regarding my answer.

All my reasons are:
Geopolitical/Decrease foreign oil dependance
Environmental
Uniqueness (wow factor)
Convenience
Quietness
Performance

I ended up picking Environmental, but I think Geopolitical was a slightly greater influence for me. So I screwed up my answer.

Also, performance was a slight influence for me, but not performance as most car nuts think of it... not how many G's I can pull start/stop/turning. Rather, I like the linear acceleration and 1-pedal driving. I like quietness, but I can get that from a Lexus LS for slightly less $$$ so that was a minor factor.

I said environmental, but it's a lot more than that. It's made in America, it makes a statement about shared values, hopefully it furthers a trend toward responsible personal behavior and it's incredibly cool. As I move toward retirement, I'm wanting to get rid of as many bills as possible and eliminating gas from our diet is healthy on a variety of levels.