Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers turn on with Cruise Control, won’t work on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They do not wipe continuously at high speed. That failure is a serious safety in a downpour.
They wipe continuously. And there are other methods, as I described, to activate the wipers at any setting you want using steering wheel controls (including voice control, which we haven’t even covered).

Calling this a serious safety issue is pearl-clutching hyperbole. Not knowing how to use the controls is a safety issue in EVERY vehicle.

OR, press the wipe button once then use the left scroll wheel to cycle through the wiper settings. No looking at the screen or taking your eyes off the road necessary. Magic.
Hardly magic. Inane would be a better word.

How far do I spin the scroll wheel? It has no stop at full speed, and I don't have the time to sample the various speeds to see if I've selected the right one, or overshot. The effective, well-engineered standard is to have tactile feedback, so that with minimum thought, you can go from any speed to full speed in a couple tenths of a second. Essentially every other car on the road from the last 30 years has that ability. The Tesla does not.

Reactions: mlambert890
You don’t. You click right or left.
This is what the manual says:
" The button at the end of turn signal stalk has two levels.
  • Press partially to wipe the windshield. If the wiper is already operating at a wiper setting and is not set to Auto, pressing the button cycles through speeds. Wiper speeds cycle as follows: I > II > III > IIII > III > II > I."
It goes on, after describing the washer operation (correctly) with this:
"Whenever you press the wiper button, the touchscreen displays the wiper menu, allowing you to adjust wiper settings. Roll the left scroll button on the steering wheel up or down to choose your desired setting."

This is entirely different than your description. You seem to be saying that the owner's manual is wrong. My experimentation indicates it is wrong, as well. Rolling the scroll button up and down does not work in my car to control the wipers. Pushing the ball right or left changes the wiper speed. Fortunately, the speeds do not cycle, as you indicated, but instead, progress from off to speed 4, click by click, and stop at speed 4 if I continue to click to the right.

In any car, the wipers are a safety feature. They are not there for amusement. So defective wipers systems are a safety issue, despite your protests to the contrary. The Tesla system is, in the words of Electrek, "notoriously bad". In my experience, which runs to only a couple thousand miles with my MY, the wipers have never functioned adequately in auto mode, always failing to reach high speed appropriately in very heavy rain, and usually operating unpredictably in lighter rain as well, seemingly picking wiper speeds at random, and only rarely with any strong correlation to precipitation rate. When I tried to set up an appointment to get the system fixed, Tesla said that the issues were known, and that they were working on it, so they did nothing to fix my car.

I have owned about 50 cars over somewhat more than 50 years, and have never experienced worse customer service than with Tesla, and have never had a wiper system that was so unpredictable and cumbersome to operate. My work around for getting to high speed when I need it is to press the stalk end, then press the left scroll button to the right 4 times. This is five motions for accomplishing what can be accomplished in any other car in one motion.

Distracted driving is dangerous.

Distracted driving is dangerous.
I mean, I think the only solution for you here is to sell the car and buy one that you can control to your satisfaction.

I’m the first to admit that Tesla’s “Full Self Wiping” feature is atrocious. It’s comically bad. Flat-out embarrassing. The result of a terrible Elon Decision(tm) 8 years ago to save $3.50 per car and do away with the extremely reliable Bosch moisture sensor that literally every other car on the planet with auto wipers uses.

It can’t be fixed at this point on any existing car because the hardware isn’t there. The sensor nor the twist knob that you want to interact with because it’s how you’ve conditioned yourself for the past 50 years.

So I guess the only question left is what are you going to do? If you can’t adapt to the existing controls and fear for your life, it seems the car has to go.

Reactions: DanDi58