Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else is buying the Convertable Bond?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am putting about 15% of our IRA into the Convertable bond.
Is anyone else buying into it? Is this a good decision?
Any thoughts are welcome!
My reasoning:
The current stock price is very high, we all know that. I don't want to risk my parents retirement because the market re corrects violently and Tesla goes back down to $90

I am putting about 15% of our IRA into the Convertable bond.
Is anyone else buying into it? Is this a good decision?
Any thoughts are welcome!
My reasoning:
The current stock price is very high, we all know that. I don't want to risk my parents retirement because the market re corrects violently and Tesla goes back down to $90

Can you share how you're going about purchasing the convertible notes? (ie., which broker, costs, etc)

Wow, I love my common, buy a lot of debt and this is crazy. 1.25% is very low and the markup makes this even more complex. Most convertibles have a set conversion price or ratio, say 40:1. This means that if you convert,for every one bond you have you can convert to 40 shares of common. The basic idea of convertible is giving an investor an income vehicle with the security of a debt position (they pay you before common gets anything in the case of dissolution). And then the upside potential of converting if the common goes way up. This mark up feature is going to really reduce the number of shares you get on conversion. Again much less straight forward than typical convertibles. The ability to convert to cash is not the typical object in convertible securities trading. The whole point of buying convertible is to have the ability to get some common at some point in the future and still get some income while waiting.