Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When can we expect to see a CCS Adapter for the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would also like to see if we can get a CCS adapter for Model 3's, there's an Electrify America ban of chargers nearby work, and only works w CHaDEMO & CCS chargers

IMHO Tesla doesn't need to spend money on CCS adapters or charging in most of the U.S. and especially SoCal where there are a LOT of Tesla Superchargers already in place. CCS for Teslas would probably only benefit 1% of Tesla customers... so the "juice not worth the squeeze" to Tesla or its customers who already balk at paying $500 for a Tesla Wall Connector or CHaDEMO adapters.

Just my opinion as a Tesla and business owner. Businesses CAN'T economically survive make everybody happy... and some customers will be unhappy no matter what you do.

IMHO Tesla doesn't need to spend money on CCS adapters or charging in most of the U.S. and especially SoCal where there are a LOT of Tesla Superchargers already in place. CCS for Teslas would probably only benefit 1% of Tesla customers... so the "juice not worth the squeeze" to Tesla or its customers who already balk at paying $500 for a Tesla Wall Connector or CHaDEMO adapters.

Just my opinion as a Tesla and business owner. Businesses CAN'T economically survive make everybody happy... and some customers will be unhappy no matter what you do.

I guess you could make the argument that we have more CCS charging options than there were CHADEMO charging options when they developed a CHADEMO Adapter. Also those CCS charging options have a higher output than the CHADEMO chargers when Tesla created the CHADEMO Adapter.

I guess I fall into that 99% who would not need a CCS Adapter for my Tesla but you know what? I'd gladly pay for such an adapter for the 1% of the time that I might need it because that would mean that I have no other viable charging options at that time.

Plenty of of us pay for things that we use only 1% of the time.

Also, California does not represent everyone. We would have had more functional automatic wipers if the powers be had more exposure to what happens outside of California :)

Also this is not something Tesla necessarily has to make. Maybe someone else could make a high quality and safe CCS to J1772 Adapter if a CCS to Tesla Adapter is not viable.

Correct. However, no car you can buy new from Tesla today can do this.

True... and obviously based on Tesla sales not having 80A AC charging isn't an issue.

FACT: Most Tesla customers' residences don't have the main service panel electrical capacity for a 100A breaker PLUS:
  • $1,500 for Dual Chargers (2015 cost for the additional 40A on board charger)
  • $750+ cost of an electrician to install a gen1 HPWC (High Power Wall Charger) configured at 80A on a 100A breaker (2015 cost)
  • $100+ cost for the electrical permit & inspection
  • $500 for the Tesla Wall Connector to get 80A charging on a 100A breaker
This occasionally made sense when Tesla was selling $100,000+ Model S & X years ago but not now when most Tesla sales are probably $50,000 Model 3 buyers who aren't going to pay an additional $2,850 to simply reduce their charge time 40% (80A vs. 48A) when they can recharge their Tesla overnight without spending $2,850 more.

Other issue with 80A Tesla HPWC was its plug and cable next to the plug got HOT (not just warm) when charging at 80A. I only charge at 60A since it only gets out HPWC plug warm... which doesn't stress the HPWC, Tesla charge port or 100A breaker, all which are expensive to replace. HEAT kills electronics.

Our "inventory" P85D came with both Dual Chargers and a Tesla HPWC so our total cost to have 100A breaker and 80A HPWC was significantly less... especially after $400 utility rebate. Otherwise I would have passed on 80A charging.

80A "Juice" not worth the "$queeze" for Tesla and 99% of its customers.

True... and obviously based on Tesla sales not having 80A AC charging isn't an issue.

FACT: Most Tesla customers' residences don't have the main service panel electrical capacity for a 100A breaker PLUS:
  • $1,500 for Dual Chargers (2015 cost for the additional 40A on board charger)
  • $750+ cost of an electrician to install a gen1 HPWC (High Power Wall Charger) configured at 80A on a 100A breaker (2015 cost)
  • $100+ cost for the electrical permit & inspection
  • $500 for the Tesla Wall Connector to get 80A charging on a 100A breaker
This occasionally made sense when Tesla was selling $100,000+ Model S & X years ago but not now when most Tesla sales are probably $50,000 Model 3 buyers who aren't going to pay an additional $2,850 to simply reduce their charge time 40% (80A vs. 48A) when they can recharge their Tesla overnight without spending $2,850 more.

Other issue with 80A Tesla HPWC was its plug and cable next to the plug got HOT (not just warm) when charging at 80A. I only charge at 60A since it only gets out HPWC plug warm... which doesn't stress the HPWC, Tesla charge port or 100A breaker, all which are expensive to replace. HEAT kills electronics.

Our "inventory" P85D came with both Dual Chargers and a Tesla HPWC so our total cost to have 100A breaker and 80A HPWC was significantly less... especially after $400 utility rebate. Otherwise I would have passed on 80A charging.

80A "Juice" not worth the "$queeze" for Tesla and 99% of its customers.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes: Not everything is about you, your limited needs, and your state of California. :p

Though I do love California very much. :D

Last edited:
Plenty of of us pay for things that we use only 1% of the time.

I'm struggling to even reach 1% !

Screenshot_20200618_215556_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

• Love
Reactions: PhilDavid
Jesus Christ. :rolleyes: Not everything is about you, your limited needs, and your state of California. :p

... and this why internet forums have become so distasteful. One forum user states FACTS or an OPINION that another user doesn't agree with... so they get personal and nasty. WOW... Just WOW.

What ever happened to respecting someone else's opinion? Is is the "new normal" just to SHOUT insults and call names instead?

Reconsider your response... and consider an apology to everyone here who comes to TMC to share information & opinions on Teslas. I'm hoping you hastily responded out of anger.

I would think you are way off. I would double that figure to at least 2% ;)

CCS would definitely help Canadians, or anyone else who plans to drive across Canada and use the Petro Canada gas station networks ev charging installations. I know Tesla is trying to catch up with the SuperChargers, but there is at least one area from Dryden bay to Thunder Bay that is 350 km. That would be cutting it close in my car in favourable weather.

Canada's Electric Highway – EV Fast Charge car charging stations

CCS would definitely help Canadians, or anyone else who plans to drive across Canada and use the Petro Canada gas station networks ev charging installations. I know Tesla is trying to catch up with the SuperChargers, but there is at least one area from Dryden bay to Thunder Bay that is 350 km. That would be cutting it close in my car in favourable weather.

Or, just get the Chademo adapter. Other than Electrify America most charge providers provide both Chademo and CCS in equal numbers. Certainly Petrocan does.

We use the Chademo adapter regularly in BC as Chademo/CCS locations easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1 and Chademo/CCS infrastructure is growing much faster than Superchargers. 50 KW is pokey compared to a supercharger but not to bad when you build lunch around the break. And certainly beats the heck out of J1772 AC charging at max 8 KW on most J1772’s or even 11.5 kw for Tesla destination chargers.

Jmho.

Or, just get the Chademo adapter. Other than Electrify America most charge providers provide both Chademo and CCS in equal numbers. Certainly Petrocan does.

We use the Chademo adapter regularly in BC as Chademo/CCS locations easily outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1 and Chademo/CCS infrastructure is growing much faster than Superchargers. 50 KW is pokey compared to a supercharger but not to bad when you build lunch around the break. And certainly beats the heck out of J1772 AC charging at max 8 KW on most J1772’s or even 11.5 kw for Tesla destination chargers.

Jmho.

Can you tell me though, how high does your state of charge get before it comes off of 50 kW?

If I planned on driving across country I would definitely get the Chademo, as there isn't a CCS option, and I have no idea what the charging rate myTesla would take from the CCS, but looking at the future potential CCS is the way to go: (from Petro Canada's website)

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 6.56.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 6.59.14 PM.png

Can you tell me though, how high does your state of charge get before it comes off of 50 kW?

If I planned on driving across country I would definitely get the Chademo, as there isn't a CCS option, and I have no idea what the charging rate myTesla would take from the CCS, but looking at the future potential CCS is the way to go: (from Petro Canada's website)

View attachment 553421 View attachment 553422

Here you go. Hangs around 42 to 48 KW. Like I say. Not great but useable with proper break planning, and for us in BC its absolutely necessary for where we travel.

49853040842_22c434df24_c.jpg

49852206303_82f4ef3edf_c.jpg

We don't like that its big and bulky but meh. It would be nice if they could double the capacity as many of the new Chademos are 100 kw.

49853043187_835a0c0a44_c.jpg

49853041587_c4e952ae68_c.jpg

Last edited:

CCS would make sense in Canada if CHAdeMO wasn't already fairly prolific. Like you said the Canadian Supercharger network is way behind the U.S. Unfortunately the number of Canadian Teslas (and U.S. Teslas) going into the non-urban areas of Canada) are undoubtedly < 2% of all Tesla customers.

We spent 3 months in the summer of 2018 traveling coast to coast across all of Canada (Trans Canada from Vancouver Island to St. John's Newfoundland) in our Winnebago View (Mercedes Sprinter turbodiesel) RV. Gorgeous country, great people... and LONG distances between urban areas. That would have been an epic challenge with significant "range anxiety" to drive that in our 2015 Tesla Model S P85D. Definitely would have a CHAdeMO adapter.

Like CarPlay, AM radio, 360° view, the lack of a CCS adapter is due entirely to stubbornness not technical or financial concerns.
They could actually make a profit selling CCS connectors, and they no longer claim CCS is impossible due to technical reasons. Look at old threads about this.

Today, CCS locations vastly outnumber SC sites. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

927 Supercharger locations in North America
3,106 CCS locations.

Like CarPlay, AM radio, 360° view, the lack of a CCS adapter is due entirely to stubbornness not technical or financial concerns.
They could actually make a profit selling CCS connectors, and they no longer claim CCS is impossible due to technical reasons. Look at old threads about this.

Today, CCS locations vastly outnumber SC sites. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Electric Vehicle Charging Station Locations

927 Supercharger locations in North America
3,106 CCS locations.

This is why I'd like to figure out some type of CCS solution for charging the car.

Already we were recently in an area with no convenient Supercharger availability but a readily available CCS charger. Given that CCS is essentially going to be the standard for non-Tesla EVs, it would be great to be able to take advantage of all the new chargers being installed.

I'm afraid going forward there could be more CCS installations than even J1772 installations.

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits
Wow so 50+ miles per hour would be a great compromise with a J1772 CCS Adapter.

Is this more "easily" doable than a CCS to Tesla charger adapter?

I really hope before too long we have some type of CCS adapter with all the CCS charging stations popping up all over the place.

This is the European CCS adapter. Not sure what the difference is with connections available on the US car socket. Obviously European car socket allows Supercharging and A/C charging, but not clear how that relates to connecting to CCS. Maybe the issue relates to charge rate control.

IMG_20200619_100855.jpg
IMG_20200619_100906.jpg

This is the European CCS adapter. Not sure what the difference is with connections available on the US car socket. Obviously European car socket allows Supercharging and A/C charging, but not clear how that relates to connecting to CCS. Maybe the issue relates to charge rate control.

View attachment 553513 View attachment 553514

At the same time they released this adapter, the changed the charge port shipping on new cars in the EU. That new chargeport has all the electronics to handle CCS, which is why you have to replace the chargeport on older cars to use the adapter.

There’s no technical barrier to them doing the exact same thing in the US - it’s even possible, though getting less likely every day, that they updated US chargeports to handle CCS communication a year ago like they did EU ones.

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus