Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unknowns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
* Questions
- Answers

* Under which conditions does the car creep and is creeping user modifiable?
- Couldn’t answer yet but told me to stay tuned
* How will the 21" handle many potholes over time and those low profile tires?
- Was told they are tested and the suspension helps as well
* How are the electric motors wound? I heard by machine for standard and by hand for tighter wire overlays for performance?
- All motors for both Standard and Performance are now machined and no longer hand wound (this is to allow for mass production)
* Are these cars 100% production? If not, what might be the 1% difference?
- Yes, all the test drive car’s are 100% Production Models is what I was told
* How will the leather hold up after 6 or 7 years? My Accord started cracking after 4! Longevity tests done?
- Should be the same grade and quality found in any similarly classed Mercedes or BMW
* Where is the SIM swap slot for GSM?
- Nobody had any idea
* Manual panoramic roof sun shade looks like, can I see an example?
- There were none to be found but I was told they are very VERY similar to that found in the Acura MDX
* Home link buttons?
- It’s on the 17” screen and should be very familiar to the Roadster Drivers
* May I please see the key-less entry in action? How will it work exactly with the tech package?
- I wasn’t able to see it but it does work in the sense that it will open the drivers side door when you approach it with the Tech Package or if you press the button on the KeyFOB for the passangers
* No Signature badging? Any identifying markers besides the trim on the outside for Signature cars?
- There is signature badging on the side panels where you can see “Founders” currently on the Founder Series cars
* Is the front plate mounted required? How are front plate bracket’s attached(are holes drilled)?
Still working on that from after the Friday event so another stay tuned. The plate is user select optional even for me in California where it’s required.
* Any new details on battery swapping? Can a person with a 40kw battery swap to the 85kw for a long trip and swap back on returning for example?
- No, in fact they they have moved away from that idea and are going with Supercharging instead. When battery replacement is needed(say 8 years down the road), then it would be a day at the shop at most.
* Can I see examples of all the opportunity center consoles and do we have estimated prices on them? How do they attach? Is the new ribbed floor now a "standard" feature?
- Pictures of the options will be released this week, after the test drive event and no, they were not in display other then in the cars (which were constantly being driven so you can’t see them).
*Does the car have “Hill Assist” or equivalent for those steep San Francisco grades?
- Not yet but coming soon via a Firmware Update.

There you go! I’ll try to post my video this week after I get it off my Canon T3i’s SD card… :) For the record, loved the test drive, LOVED IT!

* Can I see examples of all the opportunity center consoles and do we have estimated prices on them? How do they attach? Is the new ribbed floor now a "standard" feature?
- Pictures of the options will be released this week, after the test drive event and no, they were not in display other then in the cars (which were constantly being driven so you can’t see them).

The TM site is mostly down now (following links, such as sign-into, gets you a redirect to the home page) so perhaps they are putting some pictures in now.

Music control: [COLOR=#ff0000 said:
Can you edit and add to your music library over wifi? What form of iPod/iPhone/MP3 player functionality will it have?[/COLOR]

I was told that, no, you cannot add to the music library over wifi. To add songs to the car's hard drive, you have to use a USB cable. It will have bluetooth functionality in that it will play music from your iPhone/other smart device.

EDIT: Oops, not too good at manipulating that quote. Its was originally in Robert Boston's color coded list of questions.

I was told that, no, you cannot add to the music library over wifi. To add songs to the car's hard drive, you have to use a USB cable. It will have bluetooth functionality in that it will play music from your iPhone/other smart device.

EDIT: Oops, not too good at manipulating that quote. Its was originally in Robert Boston's color coded list of questions.

Hm, so them helping you setup wifi during delivery is just for updates? I thought it was mentioned they help you set up your car for sync? Not a huge deal to me, but I imagine the average user would prefer wireless sync.

Hm, so them helping you setup wifi during delivery is just for updates? I thought it was mentioned they help you set up your car for sync? Not a huge deal to me, but I imagine the average user would prefer wireless sync.

Could that just be one of those features they can add down the road? I would think they could program something like that and simply add it as an update next year for example.

* Questions
- Answers

- Couldn’t answer yet but told me to stay tuned.

In one of the videos I watched (they're all blurring together) the Tesla representative said (paraphrasing)" "this car is not equipped with the 'creep' feature so just press on the accelerator and let's go."

In another article / video the person was commenting on the amount of creep and that it was the right amount (apparently their car had the creep feature).

That makes it sound like something you select at some point, either at time of purchase or it's an option you can adjust through the touchscreen.

That's really good for leather. One year is the usual cracking start date for the cars with leather that I've had/seen. I really don't understand why anyone would want uncomfortable and short lived leather.

Wow. What kind of cars have you purchased in the past? I just traded in a seven-year-old Audi with leather that looked like new, and I really didn't take any special care of it. I've never had a problem with leather seats in cars, but have had plenty of issues with cloth (stains, wear, outgassing, etc.). I'd never get cloth again.

Wow. What kind of cars have you purchased in the past? I just traded in a seven-year-old Audi with leather that looked like new, and I really didn't take any special care of it. I've never had a problem with leather seats in cars, but have had plenty of issues with cloth (stains, wear, outgassing, etc.). I'd never get cloth again.

Same experience with leather here. On a 10 year old Chevy no-less and maybe conditioned the seats every few years. No cracks but one small tear that never got bigger. 1.5 years on my Volt with no issues with heated seats and no special treatment. I'm not worried about Tesla's leather seats at all.

- Couldn’t answer yet but told me to stay tuned
<SNIP>
*Does the car have “Hill Assist” or equivalent for those steep San Francisco grades?
- Not yet but coming soon via a Firmware Update.

Awesome news. I was thinking it would be cool to update hill hold later. After driving the S for a while with no start up creep I'll probably get used to it but hill hold is a nice feature to have. What a great car that gets better over time! :)

* How are the electric motors wound? I heard by machine for standard and by hand for tighter wire overlays for performance?
- All motors for both Standard and Performance are now machined and no longer hand wound (this is to allow for mass production)
I thought the "by hand" information was regarding the Roadster and the people were merely speculating the same was true for the Model S. As such, this answer confirmed my expectations.

Hey LA drivers we still have unknowns. Maybe we could get some answers?

For instance:

Will the tech package memory option include steering wheel settings (Sport, Normal, Cadillac), telescoping and other preferences such as regen, screen brightness, driver display settings?

Okay, after my discussion with the engineer today (forever to remain unknown), I have learned a few answers to unknowns. Some of this may likely already be common knowledge.

The engineer handling the motorized folding mirrors is done and they will be a part of the car. This was confirmed today. They may not make it to the first deliveries, but the plan is to get them onto the car.

The car is undergoing the necessary engineering mods to install adaptive cruise control. It will be an add on option for the car.

The engineer completed an assessment of the force tolerances of the front bumper to determine the placing of proximity sensors up front and at the front corners. This is highly likely to make it as well.

Grid lines and turn guide lines for the rear camera are a software update away.

The cup holder issue is front line issue right now, and they realize that the current cup holders are a no go, given that you can’t place two reasonably sized beverages in the cup holders. They want to offer 3 or so solutions that you can select from, with a modular capability for easy installation or removal. The rear console is likely a keeper and he suggested that people could place the console in the frunk microwave (the cubby space aft of the large frunk opening).

The car originally had batteries occupying the microwave, known as the “tower of power”, but was ultimately eliminated with Panasonic announcing better batteries which allowed for the final skateboard design. This left the empty space to add to the frunk.

Software updates are rolling out every 8 weeks with possible added features, bug fixes, and possible mods to the existing functionality. This includes adding the proximity door unlocking with the key for tech package owners.

Sound system should be connected to your computer via wifi and you will be able to upload your music into the system from your computer. I was told that the guys working on this are all from Apple, using apple computers. AAC should be supported.

Roadster HPC should be able to charge the Model S, but no mention as to whether an adapter is being developed. Only that it is capable.

The nose cone was redesigned to remove the upper ridge underneath the Tesla T emblem and make for a smoother cone. This was in response to customer requests.

IMG_1207.jpg

The car was designed with the Pano roof as standard, and the hardtop was added afterwards. It truly is the optimal configuration for the car. It definitely offers more rear headroom than the hardtop variant. The sunshade is coming for sure.

The motor is designed for a top speed of about 200 mph with proper gearing.

They are looking at upping the RPM limit to 18K vs 16K, but this is a hardware change, not software, so later builds will benefit. No timeline on when/if this will happen.

Changes to the car will likely be rolled out on a rolling basis, with later deliveries coming with them intact, and likely a retrofit program for earlier deliveries. He didn't have any details on how this would occur, but felt that people receiving deliveries after December would have a more intact product.

You can turn the car OFF via the menu. I have a photo demonstrating this.

IMG_1272.JPG

Model X updates:

The Model X will have sunshades for the falcon door upper glass.

They are working on an elevator system to lift the floor of the frunk in the Model X so that you can easily reach items on the frunk floor.

The back up camera is located within the Tesla T on the rear hatch

They are definitely working on a carrier system for the roof of the Model X, but it will not be able to hold a carrier or ski rack per se. It will likely operate on some slider mechanism, or there will be a carrier system for the back hatch, or a hitch carrier. They are firm on the Falcon doors as they stand, no double hinges or such.

There will be a slower variant of the Model X (5.6 second). It will have a hitch.

The model on display now is a performance version (4.4 second). It does not have a hitch.