Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back from getting the ecohitch installed - unfortunately, they cut the access opening the wrong way (it opens to the left vs. the right). Ramifications: Can't remove the hitch (b/c can't get access to the bolt head) and can't use the undercover. I'm dreading the talk with the body shop (who has installed these before) - but I fear that it's going to require replacing both underbody pieces that the opening cuts through. =(

How did the talk go? What was the end result?

Just saw this pop on the new posts list--- so here's my 2 cents.

The hitches are superbly built and if you have any remote inclination to haul bikes or other gear, DO TAKE this opportunity to pick one up on sale.

(and make sure you get the hole cut correctly--- so sorry for you pl804, at least it's mostly invisible)

Here's my tale of the installation with lots more pictures of how it is done: TESLA Pittsburgh.com: My Baby Gets Back: Torklift EcoHitch Review

1-IMG_6335.JPG

1-IMG_6321.JPG

A few people have made comments about possible bike rack options. I've been using one from North Shore Bike Racks that is suitable only for mountain bikes with front suspensions. The beauty of the design is it folds down easily and puts some of the weight ahead of the hitch, reducing the torque applied. I've had it on my Benz for a couple of riding seasons and will have a hitch receiver installed on my Model S when it arrives. You can hang up to four bikes with this system, although mine is a two bike rack due to the 1.25" receiver limitation on this car. You hang the bike by the fork and clip a cord around the back wheel. Loading and unloading is faster than anything else I've used.

Given the concerns about any sort of hitch on the Model S, the weight distribution of this rack system might be superior to the typical 'stack them out the back' systems.

Not the best angle to see the rack, but it gives you an idea...:

16214491697_2e1f0e1a8a_o.jpg

@beeerock, that's a nice bike rack. But is it really only for mountain bikes? Kids bikes won't work? I am looking for a 4 bike rack but I only have the 1-1/4" eco hitch. I guess I could get the 2" adapter from echo hitch if necessary. Nice that they are local.

Interesting rack with some good features, eg weight distribution. Also wondering if other bikes wouldn't fit. One drawback is you can't open the trunk with bikes loaded, of course. Unless there's a tilt away mechanism.

@beeerock, that's a nice bike rack. But is it really only for mountain bikes? Kids bikes won't work? I am looking for a 4 bike rack but I only have the 1-1/4" eco hitch. I guess I could get the 2" adapter from echo hitch if necessary. Nice that they are local.
The rack hangs the bike by the wide fork of a shock system. A suspensionless bike wouldn't typically be wide enough (although a fat bike might be...). You'd have to compare a kids bike fork with an adult bike to see if there's a chance it would fit. The other consideration is whether the wheelbase is long enough (kids bike) to reach the rear tire support lower down on the rack. There is some latitude, but you'd want to keep it all firmly in place!

Their web site has some good photos and explanations if you want greater detail from the horse's mouth... they're good folks to deal with, in my experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting rack with some good features, eg weight distribution. Also wondering if other bikes wouldn't fit. One drawback is you can't open the trunk with bikes loaded, of course. Unless there's a tilt away mechanism.
As noted in my last reply to Morristhecat, the way the bike is gripped limits the bikes that will fit. It was designed here in BC where mountain biking and downhilling is a big deal - the rack was built with that in mind.

The rack does pivot from the hitch horizontal member. Backwards to allow the trunk to be opened, or to fit on a van or hatchback with less space for the front tires above. The quick pin release has several positions and you can go all the way down to the point where the bike tires sit on the ground.

Center of gravity is much further forward than virtually every other rack system I've seen, which really helps the hitch receiver!

Greetings! The Torklift hitch looks nice, and I already have a Kuat NV rack that I've used with another car, so this would be ideal. Can anyone tell me how expensive the piece is that needs the whole cut into it?

Thanks!
I am not sure if I understand your question. The piece that needs cutting is the underside of the bumper. Do you mean the replacement cost of the bumper so you can restore to original condition? Pricey I bet.

I am not sure if I understand your question. The piece that needs cutting is the underside of the bumper. Do you mean the replacement cost of the bumper so you can restore to original condition? Pricey I bet.

Ahh, I didn't realize it was the actual bumper cover--I was thinking it a separate piece behind the bumper. Well, in that case, I'm sure you're right, that would be quite expensive!

IMG_4588.JPG
For those considering installation for bikes, remember to allow extra time at the Supercharger for careful backing. I found the backup cam to be of no use in this scenario. Here's a pic of me in Lumberton, NC supercharging with 5 bikes on the back. I was lucky and there were mostly open stalls on my route but if the end unit is not open, could be very tricky or have to remove the jigsaw puzzle of bikes which would not be fun. The front end pull-in chargers are nice but are not available at all locations (or could be in use). I would like to see the signs between the chargers get installed further away from the curb as a simple way to improve the challenge.
Also massive range penalty with 5 bikes at speeds beyond 45mph. My 60kWh would only do about 130 miles on a range charge driving at posted speeds on I-95. On the return trip, I actually removed some of the wheels from the bikes and stowed in the rear hatch to decrease the sail effect (it helped).

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty used to getting looks in the Model S but the look percentile went up substantially with 5 bikes on the back!
I think it must blow some folk's minds that this awesome/sporty EV can also be a practical choice and not just a "toy" as I have seen some refer to it. For my family of 5, this is our minivan/SUV for road trips (in addition to a great looking/performing sedan).

Yeah, I'm pretty used to getting looks in the Model S but the look percentile went up substantially with 5 bikes on the back!
I think it must blow some folk's minds that this awesome/sporty EV can also be a practical choice and not just a "toy" as I have seen some refer to it. For my family of 5, this is our minivan/SUV for road trips (in addition to a great looking/performing sedan).
Is that an inch and a quarter receiver??? What rack system allows that many bikes on a small receiver? Or maybe it just looks small and it's actually a 2 inch?

It would be interesting to compare range loss with this 'across the car' method of carrying, compared to the 'wheelie' position of the Northshore Racks system I use. One is broad and low, the other tall and narrow.

Is that an inch and a quarter receiver??? What rack system allows that many bikes on a small receiver? Or maybe it just looks small and it's actually a 2 inch?

It would be interesting to compare range loss with this 'across the car' method of carrying, compared to the 'wheelie' position of the Northshore Racks system I use. One is broad and low, the other tall and narrow.

It's the 2 inch receiver. I'm using a Thule 915XT. I was pretty amazed at the range losses but I was also hauling 5 people and a lot of stuff so some of the inefficiency was also weight gain and couldn't all be blamed on the bike-parachute on the back. The hitch itself is 38 lbs and the rack is 28 lbs.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share our pic. We've been using the torklift hitch for about a year for our 2 single bikes or for the tandem. Maybe it has been said somewhere in 99 posts but beware of driveway or roadways that have steep ramps. The hitch will drag and that is a very disconcerting feeling ... Still, we are avid cyclists and need the bike rack. The camera distortion makes it look like the tandem is much wider than it is. The bike is only 8" wider than the car.

rack.jpg