Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The best thing about a Tesla is there are no servicing costs…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be worth seeking a local independent to do this. Quite some time ago someone on here recommended Blackboots in Chesham for alignment. We were curious about our M3P and had it checked. Very professional and knowledgeable and they confirmed alignment was good and refused to charge us! Not saying it's an option for you but giving an example. I wasn't even aware that Tesla does the alignment themselves so they may be farming it out anyway.
That was probably me. Joe, the alignment guru, has moved from there now to a garage in Leighton Buzzard Servicing, MOT & Car Garage Leighton Buzzard
He's offering the same services there and continues to be the best I know to work on Teslas in this part fo the country.

Tesla do carry out alignments themselves but I've found the quality of work to be patchy and the cost is just unreasonable compared to someone like Joe, who as you've found, charges a fair price for the actual work they do rather than having a flat "4 wheel alignment" fee.

Most of the time, these cars don't need all the geometry correcting. Quite often it's just a quick toe adjustment which shouldn't take anyone more than 30 minutes. Toe is the usual culprit when it comes to inner tyre wear and I've seen several Teslas come out of the factory with the toe not where it should be.
I'm also seeing more reports recently from owners of new Model 3/Ys complaining about vagueness in the steering on m'ways, which is aso a sign the toe may not be set correctly.

Regarding regular servicing, I've mostly done that myself to cars I've owned in the past if they've not been leased, so I've only visited a SC and had a ranger out a few times for warranty repairs over the last 5 years. Brake servicing, cabin filters, wiper blades are all straightforward if you have a few tools and a jack (and preferably a warm, dry garage), but I realise not all owners want to touch anything other than the steering wheel, so YMMV. 😁

• Informative
Reactions: KennethS
That was probably me. Joe, the alignment guru, has moved from there now to a garage in Leighton Buzzard Servicing, MOT & Car Garage Leighton Buzzard
He's offering the same services there and continues to be the best I know to work on Teslas in this part fo the country.

Tesla do carry out alignments themselves but I've found the quality of work to be patchy and the cost is just unreasonable compared to someone like Joe, who as you've found, charges a fair price for the actual work they do rather than having a flat "4 wheel alignment" fee.

Most of the time, these cars don't need all the geometry correcting. Quite often it's just a quick toe adjustment which shouldn't take anyone more than 30 minutes. Toe is the usual culprit when it comes to inner tyre wear and I've seen several Teslas come out of the factory with the toe not where it should be.
I'm also seeing more reports recently from owners of new Model 3/Ys complaining about vagueness in the steering on m'ways, which is aso a sign the toe may not be set correctly.

Regarding regular servicing, I've mostly done that myself to cars I've owned in the past if they've not been leased, so I've only visited a SC and had a ranger out a few times for warranty repairs over the last 5 years. Brake servicing, cabin filters, wiper blades are all straightforward if you have a few tools and a jack (and preferably a warm, dry garage), but I realise not all owners want to touch anything other than the steering wheel, so YMMV. 😁
Indeed it was you. Sorry, I had a senior moment and was too lazy to look back at old posts to see who gave this very helpful recommendation. I have made a note of the updated recommendation -- he was/is truly excellent!

It is probably long overdue that we have the brakes fully checked and serviced on the M3P. Is Joe also the guy for that? I am not equipped to attempt this myself. My DIY skills take me as far as tyre pressure adjustments, wiper blades and topping off the windscreen wash fluid!

Indeed it was you. Sorry, I had a senior moment and was too lazy to look back at old posts to see who gave this very helpful recommendation. I have made a note of the updated recommendation -- he was/is truly excellent!

It is probably long overdue that we have the brakes fully checked and serviced on the M3P. Is Joe also the guy for that? I am not equipped to attempt this myself. My DIY skills take me as far as tyre pressure adjustments, wiper blades and topping off the windscreen wash fluid!
Yes, they'll be able to sort pretty much anything out for you there. They are happy to tackle upgrades on Teslas too (brakes, suspension etc.).
It's so difficult to find garages who do a good job for a fair price and don't run a mile when you mention the word "electric" it seems, but I've found a few around the country I've been able to recommend.

HEVRA is the other resource worth checking out for any EV-related servicing, although not all of them are as experienced on Teslas as someone like Joe.

• Helpful
Reactions: KennethS