Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the data we have points to record Q1 deliveries, does it not? Does anyone see anything that contradicts this?

Earlier in the quarter Troy was talking about weak demand in Europe AND China, yet neither seems to be playing out.

Europe is clearly pointing to record *deliveries*. This is based on registration data, which means delivered vehicles. Berlin is already at 5k/week. Those cars are going somewhere other than the bottom of the ocean…

We know for a fact from the CPCA numbers that China registrations are a record as well (with almost a week to go in the quarter when the numbers came out), and this is for deliveries as well.

And I suspect that because of the IRA Tesla would be attempting to maximize US deliveries too. We’ve seen no significant 3/Y incentives, and relatively small incentives for X and S which are a small percentage of revenue and sales anyway. I tend to think some of that is to clear out old HW3 inventory as HW4 deliveries start taking the lead.

If I had to guess I’d anticipate slight weakness for S/X sales but strong 3/Y sales in the US so the slight S/X weakness won’t be material. Semi probably still at a handful a week as they work out some bugs and await the production line in Nevada.

All-in-all, good results for what is a seasonally weak quarter in the face of high and rising interest rates, where more expensive cars like S/X traditionally wouldn’t be doing as well.

Compare to Lucid, whose factory flyovers (with many cars parked and not delivering) and the announcement of an 18% employee layoff seem to indicate almost a delivery pause in Q1. With interest rates where they are, many less people can afford or are willing to buy an expensive vehicle in the 6-figure range.

I also think Q1 will be the start of a breakout for Tesla Energy. With Lathrop ramping Megapack this quarter, we’ll see GM’s continue to improve there. Q1 will show a steep uptick, and Q2 will start having real meaningful revenue and profit contribution as Lathrop is closer to being fully-utilized.

Factoring in IRA benefits to Tesla, I think GMs will surprise to the upside.

While ASPs will be significantly lower than 2022 in Q1, offsetting that you’ve got IRA benefits, lower COGS, improved efficiencies as Berlin/Austin continue to ramp, general ongoing cost cutting, lower logistics costs (wave flattening and less shipping from Shanghai to Europe), cheaper shipping rates, and TE ramp. FSD take rate will start increasing from here on out as capabilities improve, and that is high margin.

There’s lots of talk among analysts and critics of the reduced Tesla prices but many people seem to have forgotten about the other things. Remember, the IRA gives direct benefits to Tesla for qualifying cars and storage packs. It’s not just a tax credit for the buyer.

Also consider that I think we are approaching peak interest rates. I think the Fed may hold rates where they’re at, or worst-case increase another quarter point. Then we’ll start seeing rates gradually come back down, which will contribute positively to both demand and ASPs. This will in turn result in improved stock performance (TSLA and other stocks), which will spur ASPs and sales as well.

So my gut feel is that we are through the worst of the economic downturn already, and things start gradually looking up thru the rest of the year and into 2024.

As long as the Fed doesn’t keep jacking up rates. (Puts on puppy-dog face and turns toward Darth Powell).

Last edited:
Well the street number is 420, Troy seems to be moving his up daily, but he’s settles around 418.

Personally I think we’re going to beat, but maybe not on deliveries. Tesla is cranking out cars, but I don’t think we’re really getting the hard quarter end push so maybe deliveries are inline and production beats.
EU deliveries are going nuts, China is a record already with a week to go, US inventory is climbing a bit, but Model X mostly, SXY are flat, implying cars are selling at the pace of production

GF3 has higher production rate than Q4, GF4 has ramped from 3k to 5k weekly, GF5 I don't know, but would assume they're producing more than they were (??)

So no, I don't worry about deliveries, plus we had some overhang from Q4, so unless there's a lot of cars in-transit now I'm expecting >430k

Will that move the stock price? Maybe not, but given that the Nasdaq is officially in a bull-market now, if macro pushes up, TSLA might too, would make for a nice change

Registrations in Europe were 94,819 in Q4 2022. Q1 2023 is expected to be less than that.

What data points to that - input from your delivery tracker spreadsheets? Deliveries from eu-evs for NO/NL/SE/ES seem to point to a record for those countries at least, that´s probably why many here don´t follow your prediction here..

What data points to that - input from your delivery tracker spreadsheets? Deliveries from eu-evs for NO/NL/SE/ES seem to point to a record for those countries at least, that´s probably why many here don´t follow your prediction here..
For what it's worth as a datapoint, there is a long list of people still waiting for their Model S and Model X in Sweden and elsewhere in the EU. I have waited since Nov 2021 and am still waiting for a VIN. Preliminary delivery period is stated as Q2.

Q4 to Q1 is an irrelevant measure, yoy is the important number and Europe is +70% already for those territories that report daily numbers
Nobody debates that Q1 is up YoY.

The open question is whether it’s up QoQ.

China is confirmed up QoQ (impressive especially given some downtime this Q for Model 3 upgrades). US up QoQ is likely I think.

Europe is the bigger question mark. Let’s look a little closer. Per EU-EVs.com:

Q1-2023(so far) vs Q4-2022:

For the countries who update their registration data daily, all are up over Q4, and it’s not yet the end of the quarter:

Norway: 9226 vs 8670
Netherlands: 2926 vs 2826
Spain: 1784 vs 1317
Sweden: 4109 vs 2236

Next are the countries who update monthly. Keep in mind a few things about these countries:

1. The numbers only include thru February 28 for Q1.
2. Berlin has been ramping, which suggests Model Y deliveries will be weighted more toward end of this Q.
3. Model 3 exports from Shanghai are still arriving later in the quarter (despite attempts to flatten the wave). This is especially true this Q as Shanghai had a shutdown to retool the Model 3 line earlier this Q, plus their week off. So European Q1 deliveries will be weighted toward end of quarter (as we’re seeing with countries that report daily).
4. Tesla typically tends to hold deliveries closest to the factory (Germany) to the very end of quarter to reduce logistics risks, so I expect Model Y deliveries in Germany to be primarily in March.

With the above info, I’m going to assume we see 40% of deliveries for the Q in March for most of Europe, and 2/3 in Germany. So I’ll put my full quarter estimate in parentheses:

Portugal: 1106 (1843) vs 994
Austria: 1226 (2043) vs 1211
UK: 2522 (4203) vs 20732
France: 3631 (6052) vs 7370
Germany: 11951 (36215) vs 31505
Italy: 1639 (2731) vs 1706
Switzerland: 310 (517) vs 2326
Denmark: 1550 (2583) vs 847
Ireland: 2 (3) vs 25
Finland: 431 (718) vs 741

This yields 74,953 vs 82506 in Q4. I realize this is not Europe’s total count, but it’s probably large enough to extrapolate. My 40% estimate might be lowballing the percentage deliveries in March, or it might not. But looking at this this way, yes Europe might be down slightly this Q.

Having said that, even with a 15k shortfall in Europe vs Q4, I still think we see a record worldwide.

TLDR: the irony: EV race will be held at the site of a former coal mine before it’s turned into a hydropower plant and wind farm.

EV’s and renewable energies dance on the grave of can’t-be-gone-soon-enough dirty coal.

Elon's track record cannot be described as "isn't great". Rather it's truly horrible, and shows no sign of getting better over time.
Elon's predictions isn't much different than any other inventor or visionary. I've worked for a few and they always think:
How hard can this be? I don't see any technical road blocks.
For some strange reason, they never learned Scotty's principle (Take your best estimate, multiple it by 4).
Perhaps they don't have time (or didn't take the time) to watch TV as I did.
It is not malicious or being devious, it's just they are way too optimistic.
Of course, that's how we get things like fun EVs and re-usable rockets.
How hard can this be?

NO/NL/SE/ES was at 5463 on 28/2, currently at 18215.
NO/NL/SE/ES was 15111 in Q4, EU was 94819.
Assuming the share of NO/NL/SE/ES remains the same, one can extrapolate EU Q1 to be at 114296. Although that’ s probably an upper bound of what’s to be expected.
EU needs 62539 deliveries in march Q1 to reach the same level as Q4. 12752 have already been delivered in NO/NL/SE/ES. So the rest of EU need to deliver 49787 in march. In Q4 these countries delivered 46581 cars. So less than 7% more than december. That’s only 1 or 2 days of deliveries difference.
Keep in mind that Berlin will produce around 8K cars more in march than in december, and it could very well be possible that the deliveries in Germany alone make up the difference.
It’s difficult to believe that Q1 will be (materially) less than Q4.
BTW: According to the Benelux FB groups it’s again hectic in the Benelux delivery centers. People sometimes get less than 24 hour notice for their delivery appointments, and it’s all too common that the car is sometimes not present yet.

Maybe watch CNN Brasil that is totally different than CNN International. No question that Television/cable ‘news’ is built to generate revenue. By definition they cannot be impartial.
I arrived in Brussels the day the Brexit vote result was announced, and in my jet lagged haze watched CNN-I with my friend. I was stunned how detailed and insightful the discussion was. Simply catering to a different audience which could also be the case in Brasil. Although regular CNN political discussion panels are good, particularly if David Axelrod is included.

EU deliveries are going nuts, China is a record already with a week to go, US inventory is climbing a bit, but Model X mostly, SXY are flat, implying cars are selling at the pace of production

GF3 has higher production rate than Q4, GF4 has ramped from 3k to 5k weekly, GF5 I don't know, but would assume they're producing more than they were (??)

So no, I don't worry about deliveries, plus we had some overhang from Q4, so unless there's a lot of cars in-transit now I'm expecting >430k

Will that move the stock price? Maybe not, but given that the Nasdaq is officially in a bull-market now, if macro pushes up, TSLA might too, would make for a nice change
My feel is the same on P&D, but macro and margin uncertainty results in minimal impact on SP. Maybe another week with a $5 bump on Monday then approx. flat the rest of the week?

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN
So, in your assessment in how many years will your car be able to be used as a Robotaxi ?
Assuming the share of NO/NL/SE/ES remains the same, one can extrapolate EU Q1 to be at 114296. Although that’ s probably an upper bound of what’s to be expected.
EU needs 62539 deliveries in march Q1 to reach the same level as Q4. 12752 have already been delivered in NO/NL/SE/ES. So the rest of EU need to deliver 49787 in march. In Q4 these countries delivered 46581 cars. So less than 7% more than december. That’s only 1 or 2 days of deliveries difference.
Keep in mind that Berlin will produce around 8K cars more in march than in december, and it could very well be possible that the deliveries in Germany alone make up the difference.
BTW: According to the Benelux FB groups it’s again hectic in the Benelux delivery centers. People sometimes get less than 24 hour notice for their delivery appointments, and it’s all too common that the car is sometimes not present yet.
Norway still going gangbusters with the Model Y today. Can they reach the magical 10K in the quarter? This would be greater than the total ever sales of many EV models. Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge This is incredible that in an EV saturated market that Tesla can get nearly 50% of all sales !!!!

Norway still going gangbusters with the Model Y today. Can they reach the magical 10K in the quarter? This would be greater than the total ever sales of many EV models. Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge This is incredible that in an EV saturated market that Tesla can get nearly 50% of all sales !!!!
Difficult, but possible. We are at 9472 right now. Even if we miss it will be for few cars.

Did you order a Plaid or a regular S/X?
Model X Plaid, six seats. Recently changed from black to ultra red on the condition that it does not change my place in the line :) Swedes who have received a VIN for their refreshed S/X now ordered early 2021. I don't know if the SEK's poor development vs USD makes Tesla down prioritize us... Unless they hedge their sales, they make less money on selling cars in Sweden at the prices fixed in the reservation agreement.

NO/NL/SE/ES currently on target for +30% over Q4, also word was that Denmark is having a bonanza quarter too

The big wildcards are the three largest markets: Germany, UK & France, which historically get big deliveries in the 3rd month - I assume for the UK this will still be the case as all the cars are coming from GF3, makes sense for Germany and France GF4 deliveries also to later in the quarter as it's relatively easy to get the cars there - same for Belgium and Holland, and to a degree Denmark too

We'll see, but having followed this charade for many years now it is giving a good gut-feeling right now