Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note that is just the rating for the Supercharger post, the actual charger is still just 500v/250kW, as seen in the third tweet:

FrSFAnMWwAIjQrS
Nothing wrong with 250kW. Problem is that nobody gets 250kW and don't get peak kW for long. Maybe V4 and next gen batteries can change those. If they do, Tesla will be peerless for another decade.

• Disagree
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
In response to Gen 3 Tesla's, enter the ID. 2all.

"The ID. 2all is still in concept form but based on previous concepts from the German automaker, the ID. 2all look to be pretty close to production ready."

"The ID. 2all is still in concept form but based on previous concepts from the German automaker, the ID. 2all look to be pretty close to production ready."

Gen 3 is a 20%+ gross margin car under 30k. The response is not a product that can compete, but is a product for their shareholders.

If Volkswagen wants to sell cars at break even then a lowered price Model 3 is already competitive with the ID2. Actually blows ID2 out of the water.

"The ID. 2all is still several years away from hitting the streets. VW will unveil the production version for the European market in 2025, with the ID. 2all being one of ten new electric vehicles (EVs) the German automaker plans to launch by 2026."

Definition of "pretty close to production ready" must vary from mine.

The only silver lining to this shitcloud is that the bill grandfather's Tesla's existing location. ONE location in all of the state of MS from which Tesla can sell and service cars.

There are times that I wonder if we as a species need to cease to exist. This is one of those times.

Surprising that this is coming from the forward-thinking state of Mississippi.

Quick Survey...

1. People here splitting up accounts? Informative. ℹ️
2. People already split it up for reason above? Raise a thumb. 👍
3. People not there yet? Give some love. ❤️
Don’t need to worry about it because any time I have more than 10,000 in the account I’m definitely buying TSLA at these prices. Can’t imagine sitting on $250k in cash when SP is here.

Yes, that's what I meant SIPC. We checked and TD is insured.

Assuming there's a buyer?
In TDAmeritrade’s case there already was. They were sold to Schwab before all this happened but account transfers are still being completed, apparently:

Very nice FSD beta V11 video from aidriver. He highlights many things that have gotten better that I had not noticed in other videos. 1.5 hours in San Jose without an intervention. Also love the visuals even more now, note for example how it marks the traffic lights that are relevant.
View attachment 917976
He really should have intervened/disengaged rather than let the vehicle stop on the tram tracks, that's the kind of thing that is uncommon as a single vehicle driver but multiply x 400,000+ robotaxis and it could lead to a bad outcome where a company owns liability for what the vehicle is doing.

"Energy stored in capacitor. Do not remove cover after 5 minutes after disconnecting the equipment"

Is this new - capacitor, or just 'standard' warning ?
If new, my guess is that it might prevent against very short outages to normalize the charge period.
Standard when dealing with electrical equipment, you want to discharge the capacitors before doing any service, or allow them to bleed off on their own, especially if they are high voltage. I assume they mean to wait 5 minutes after disconnecting from power to allow the capacitors to bleed off before removing cover but that wording is confusing.

Edit: I see the original label does say Until after 5 minutes.

I stated this a few weeks ago too but I just confirmed it again.

My friend's dad in LA has had his order for >1 year and still hasn't been contacted to take delivery. I feel like those cars must be missing something.
All of the cars sitting either are the touring or the grand touring. They are just starting to make the pure as you can tell by the solid roof. Did your dad's friend order the touring or the pure?

Btw per Lucid call they did not state supply chain being an issue. Last I heard was logistics.

Last edited:
So, paper backup of your portfolio is enough?
I'll let you know when the next black swan event happens. What constitutes "enough" is very subjective.

The most conservative approach would be selling all your securities and exchanging for cash under your mattress. Don't think many people are doing that and if you do good luck keeping up with inflation...

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Is it a requirement that the equipment be able to produce the rated voltage and the rated current simultaneously? If not, it's possible that the power is capped at say 400 kW so as voltage increases, current has to decrease and the maximum the equipment could produce at say 1000V is 400A.

Not a requirement, but in this case true. Voltage impacts insulation, creepage, and clearance requirements. Current impacts self heating of cables and connectors. 500A at 2V is just as challenging as 500A at 200V.

"Energy stored in capacitor. Do not remove cover after 5 minutes after disconnecting the equipment"

Is this new - capacitor, or just 'standard' warning ?
If new, my guess is that it might prevent against very short outages to normalize the charge period.
Like @JRP3 called out, this is standard UL bolierplate for certain design types.

He really should have intervened/disengaged rather than let the vehicle stop on the tram tracks, that's the kind of thing that is uncommon as a single vehicle driver but multiply x 400,000+ robotaxis and it could lead to a bad outcome where a company owns liability for what the vehicle is doing.
…or simply salt spray from snow removal operations could lead to a bad outcome…

Reactions: AndrewZ
I've been pondering why Musk would want to get into banking, when banking done properly is a crappy business. Why not just do a general financial services company, like Fidelity?

Maybe it's a combination of things. First, the entry point would be important. If he can buy the equity and debt stacks of a well-managed bank very cheaply, overall it might not be such a bad proposition. He can start small.

Then he would have to buy a bank that doesn't have much of a duration risk overhang. He will be quite willing to inject capital and to have it managed conservatively, given that he does not require a regular dividend. He might be willing to be in the most heavily regulated category.

Then he would have to focus on the bank management automation software. This is important to allow the growth of the business. The Investor Day presentation by Zack was illuminating.

Lastly, I'm convinced that he bought Twitter because he believed that serving both the left and right of the political spectrum (and a variety of political beliefs overseas) was a good business opportunity. It is equally or more true in banking, as we saw with the trucker protests in Canada. The left attempted to unbank the right, which means that the banking business of the right is up for grabs. I noticed that Musk was paying attention to this.

It's clear that Musk has ambitions for X.com to be the largest bank/financial services company pretty quickly and that he sees a path. He believes that banking is within his core competency and that he understands its regulatory regime, unlike, say electric airplanes.

What would the hurdles be to Musk buying a bank? Are the regulatory hurdles real for somebody like him?

Last edited:
If my very basic understanding of electrical stuff is correct: 1000v * 615A = 615 kW max charge rate.

Presumably amperage is unchanged at 500v so 307 kW at 500v?

This seems like an ok bump for existing owners and is pretty good news for Cybertruck. Not the 1000 kW rate some have been talking up, but it will easily take the crown for fastest rate of charge of any EV on the planet for some time.

Keep in mind Tesla go over their own spec since the spec in following a test procedure, but they know every part of the system and know how much they can push it

V3 stalls are rated at just 350 A, but go near 700 A