Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I'm looking for - but I'm building my Net Zero house right now, so I guess I'll have to wait...

Does anyone have advice about what to "rough in" so that when this kind of tech releases, I can add it to my system? I'm not keen on spending so much on battery backup when I'll have 2 EV's that have a tonne of capacity just sitting in my garage during potential blackouts, and my grid in the area is generally stable (maybe a couple of outages per year during big storms).
You can buy a transfer switch that will take power from a generator or a vehicle that can feed 240v into it. The Cybertruck should be able to do this but we won't know until the final specs are released. It will power your home without back feeding the line keeping the people repairing the line safe. Costco usually has the best deals on transfer switches that meet code.

Last edited:
Sam Altman stole his title as the new visionary of the century and Elon took it personally. (He unfollowed Andrej Carpathy as soon as Andrej took a job at OpenAI)
Elon moves Tesla RD and Twitter to the same town so he can focus on hardcore R&D/AI for Tesla and Twitter and thus take back his spotlight from Sam and upcoming AI projects.
No, Elon took it personally because he think today's OpenAI betrayed its original founding principles. Elon founded OpenAI as a transparent non-profit to act as counterweight to AI research controlled by big companies, today's OpenAI has violated every principle of its origin. He is also worried about AI as a potential existential threat to humanity, and OpenAI seems to be more interested in keeping AI politically correct instead of focusing on preventing it from killing everybody.

Competition really must be worrying quite a bit now, denial time is over:

From_worst_to_first_2023-02-23.jpg

The only reasons he must put his HQ in CA is for some serious CA Govt. money. He didn’t seem at all excited about the HQ decision.
Tesla and other Musk companies make almost all location decisions based primarily on attracting the right people to join the team. The only notable exception was Boca Chica being chosen for Starbase for its geography.

Palo Alto and more broadly Silicon Valley is a very special place for finding the type of brilliant and motivated engineers Tesla is looking for. Despite the rise of other tech hubs like Seattle, Boston and Austin, there still is really no equivalent substitute anywhere else in the world. Silicon Valley has dominated the global high tech industry since the 1950s before even the invention of the integrated circuit. Stanford University and the rest of the ecosystem around it isn’t going to pick up and move any time soon, nor Tesla’s Fremont factory, nor Twitter HQ, nor Neuralink, nor SpaceX. Unless something radically changes, Tesla will continue to expand in the Bay Area for years to come.

Last edited:
Tesla and other Musk companies make almost all location decisions based primarily on attracting the right people to join the team. The only notable except was Boca Chica being chosen for Starbase.

Palo Alto and more broadly Silicon Valley is a very special place for finding the type of brilliant and motivated engineers Tesla is looking for. Despite the rise of other tech hubs like Seattle, Boston and Austin, there still is really no equivalent substitute anywhere else in the world. Silicon Valley has dominated the global high tech industry since the 1950s before even the invention of the integrated circuit. Stanford University and the rest of the ecosystem around it isn’t going to pick up and move any time soon, nor Tesla’s Fremont factory. Unless something radically changes, Tesla will continue to expand in the Bay Area for years to come.
Some fun trivia... The main reason high tech is in silicone valley is because William Shockle (inventor of the transistor) wanted to live near his Mommy :oops:

Tesla and other Musk companies make almost all location decisions based primarily on attracting the right people to join the team. The only notable exception was Boca Chica being chosen for Starbase.

Palo Alto and more broadly Silicon Valley is a very special place for finding the type of brilliant and motivated engineers Tesla is looking for. Despite the rise of other tech hubs like Seattle, Boston and Austin, there still is really no equivalent substitute anywhere else in the world. Silicon Valley has dominated the global high tech industry since the 1950s before even the invention of the integrated circuit. Stanford University and the rest of the ecosystem around it isn’t going to pick up and move any time soon, nor Tesla’s Fremont factory. Unless something radically changes, Tesla will continue to expand in the Bay Area for years to come.
And don't forget THE University of California-Berkeley (aka: Cal). It too is a vital cog in the unique engineering/technology hub that is Northern California and SV.

Try not to be unsettled by the fact that Cal's mascot is a bear.😎

Although I don't want to curse it and barring anything unforeseen, I think we'll have a pretty good run-up up until Investors Day, followed by a great upswing afterwards.

Now where is @StarFoxisDown! to tell me I'm wrong... haven't seen a post from him recently?!?
thinking as much for a bit but hasn’t materialized. Maybe starts tomorrow?

February nowhere near as impressive as January.

Some fun trivia... The main reason high tech is in silicone valley is because William Shockle (inventor of the transistor) wanted to live near his Mommy :oops:
It doesn’t hurt that the area is pretty amazing if you don’t mind being elbow to elbow with other people. Weather is mild and the location near the coast and mountains is a fantastic combo. Seattle is similar but with significantly worse weather.

Thus it’s one of the most expensive places in the country to live.

thinking as much for a bit but hasn’t materialized. Maybe starts tomorrow?

February nowhere near as impressive as January.
I think the meeting(s) at Palo Alto will help tomorrow and perhaps an announcement about Tesla purchasing Sigma Lithium too.

But what do I know? Just a good feeling...

I thought it was interesting that Elon chose to say Tesla is a hardware and software company. Before he has frequently said Tesla will be known as a robotics and AI company.

Hardware and software is definitely a broader umbrella.

Robots are hardware and software (cars are robots too)
Tesla's NN (AI) is running (and soon training) on it's own custom hardware from PCBA down to custom silicon

It doesn’t hurt that the area is pretty amazing if you don’t mind being elbow to elbow with other people. Weather is mild and the location near the coast and mountains is a fantastic combo. Seattle is similar but with significantly worse weather.

Thus it’s one of the most expensive places in the country to live.
My experience has led me to the opinion people should be open minded about where they live and work because there are a lot of great places to live. I liked living in Long Beach CA more than the Bay Area Peninsula, and I liked living in Spokane more than Long Beach. I now live in Lancaster PA and I'm not sure where it falls but I know I like it better than the Bay Area.

Moving out of California was a palpable financial relief. I could not save money in CA (aside from 401k), I was always treading water. As soon as I moved out I was able save money and saw I could afford to have a family. Moving out of CA was one of the most significant and positive events of my life.