Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apple had other reasons, but was down 3.2%. Google down 2%. Roku down 3%. Square is down 1.5% Even Microsoft who was up about a percent ~2 hours ago ended a half down a half percent. Tesla always tends to have a multiple on gains and losses, but the dive at the end was market wide.
Beta adjusted. There was nothing unusual about the stock price action today. The day started with the release of PPI data for August. The producer price index increased 0.7% and 8.3% YoY. Biggest increase in 12 years and bringing back talks about inflation. There has been other events this week that

I expect markets to trend flat or down at least until the next FOMC meeting later this month.

Capture.PNG

I understand that theory, but I don't think 'the market' suddenly realized at 3pm today that tomorrow is 9/11 and that we withdrew from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago, and now it was time to sell.
TSLA and the macros began their serious diving at midday. As the afternoon progressed, more and more investors may have been entering risk-off mode.

Last edited:
Well this SP action sucks like a fare thee well!!!

Today's VWAP was $750.08 on 14,798,328 shares traded. The afternoon slump was 2x macros, and was likely initiated by a AAPL dip which began at 11ish.

Overall this was still a positive week for TSLA, beating macros even with the fade in the home stretch, and we ain't home yet!

Like @Lycanthrope says, shortzes will likely need to unwind on Monday a.m.

TSLA.5-Day.2021-09-10.png

Cheers!

Today's VWAP was $750.08 on 14,798,328 shares traded. The afternoon slump was 2x macros, and likely initiated by a big drop in AAPL which began at 11ish.

Overall this was still a positive week for TSLA, beating macros even with the fade in the home stretch, we ain't home yet! Like @Lycanthrope says, shortzes will likely need to unwind on Monday a.m.

View attachment 707624

Cheers!
Today still sucks though Lodger...

As someone who has been watching the stock price daily for many years now--and especially over the last few weeks--it has not been infrequent. In fact, it has been almost every week.
Here's some relevant data, it's the last six months, and rarely did max pain and stock price align on fridays. It certainly does sometimes, no one would argue that. I'm not even arguing that maybe given some factors like volume and so forth it won't be accurate. Just sImply what I stated, that the stock price rarely hits max pain on a friday

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.38.47 PM.png
    354.3 KB · Views: 49
I understand that theory, but I don't think 'the market' suddenly realized at 3pm today that tomorrow is 9/11 and that we withdrew from Afghanistan a couple of weeks ago, and now it was time to sell.
I guess I'm out of touch because all those sound like a reason to buy, especially if the Budget Reconciliation ever gets passed. Most people are pretty stupid aren't they?

It's the middle of a Jewish holiday season, and the 9/11 20th anniversary comes tomorrow. Wall Street is in New York where a lot of people are on edge, while the pandemic and hurricanes do not help. Meanwhile, weekly options expired today, and big option writers with the ability to manipulate shares might have taken advantage. This may have affected not only TSLA, but also the macro market.
Yep. At least we are not AAPL. ;)

Beta adjusted. There was nothing unusual about the stock price action today. The day started with the release of PPI data for August. The producer price index increased 0.7% and 8.3% YoY. Biggest increase in 12 years and bringing back talks about inflation. There has been other events this week that

I expect markets to trend flat or down at least until the next FOMC meeting later this month.

View attachment 707615
CPI data next tuesday. That will be a catalyst for Macro as it paints a picture as to the timing of the taper and whether inflation is indeed transitory.

I guess I'm out of touch because all those sound like a reason to buy, especially if the Budget Reconciliation ever gets passed. Most people are pretty stupid aren't they?
It often seems that way. In the very short term, emotional investors can easily outweigh the rational ones. Let's keep in mind that on any particular day, most stock market investors are not trading.

Here's some relevant data, it's the last six months, and rarely did max pain and stock price align on fridays. It certainly does sometimes, no one would argue that. I'm not even arguing that maybe given some factors like volume and so forth it won't be accurate. Just sImply what I stated, that the stock price rarely hits max pain on a friday
Is that daily or Friday (weekly) data?

• Helpful
Reactions: SOULPEDL
ARKG performance is "slightly better" than the Russel 2000 Index? I'm thinking you are using an unrealistically short holding period for that comparison. I bought ARKG on October 24, 2019 and it's up an incredible 194.77% since then while the Russel 2000 is up $43.83% over the same period. While the Russel 2000 is a diversified index fund, ARKG is a fund dedicated to a very narrow slice of the economy, genomics, so it can be expected to have a lot of variation or volatility over a multi-year period. The two should only be compared over much longer, multi-year periods (if at all). Two totally different animals.

I've almost tripled my investment with ARKG in under two years and that's with my first foray into any index fund since I started investing over 30 years ago! I was thinking I would be happy with 15% a year!
Timing is everything as I invested in several ARK funds early this year and I am mostly under water. And definitely below any of the indexes.

Timing is everything as I invested in several ARK funds early this year and I am mostly under water. And definitely below any of the indexes.
You are not alone, and many of the rest of us that were already in ARK funds watched very nice 2021 gains slip away not long after TSLA pulled back too. We likely have Michael Burry to thank for a portion of all that. What I wonder is if there are larger Dark Funds supplying Burry with the money and the motivation to take the hammer to Elon and to Cathy through a new conduit since the world has grown tired of the old act and actors marching out the same dribble on CNBS, etc. Burry made lots of money shorting before…….on one occasion……and he apparently did it mostly with his mouth shut about what he was doing. Now it is as if those that have failed on their own attempts to control Elon and Cathy’s bright futures - or that may have failed through the enlistment of ‘less potent tools’ (pun intended) such as Gordy and Toilet Boy and the TeslaQ gang may have recruited a celebrity Short for the job. This is all speculation, but Burry does look like a Dark Force himself that could have personally trained Darth Vadar, and that in itself might also be good for their cause. His appearance must certainly appeal more to those wishing to fund a Dark future more than looking at Chenos or Lutz. Anyways, hang in there. Cathy and Elon will wear down Burry too….