Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not what I'm pointing out. MM's can easily control the price action of a stock as long as volume is low. That's price action, not volume. MM's do not control volume. There is zero ways for MM's to control the volume of trading of any stock
They certainly can control the volume by buying large amounts or selling large amounts they hold. RIght now they are sitting on the side at the moment which is good for us instead of forcing the price up or down we can see genuine demand and people buying because of the good ER.

Come on, Netherlands!

hmzl2euh3ec71.jpg

They certainly can control the volume by buying large amounts or selling large amounts they hold. RIght now they are sitting on the side at the moment which is good for us instead of forcing the price up or down we can see genuine demand and people buying because of the good ER.

That's the exact opposite point I'm making. MM's have zero control over volume when it comes to lack of volume.....which is pretty clearly the thing I'm pointing out. Sure they could sell/buy the shares they have control of......which would increase volume, not decrease.

Reactions: saniflash
FactSet has TSLA Q2 at $0.93 Non-GAAP EPS

My guess is that these numbers exclude any Bitcoin Impairment. The bitcoin charge of $104m should reduce earnings by $0.08 per share.
Likely analysts are looking for $0.93 without Bitcoin charge and $0.85 with the charge.

View attachment 686322
I wish we know which of these analysts had the Bitcoin impairment factored in, in their estimates.
I am afraid the media will selectively choose the numbers, pick the consensus number without bitcoin impairment and compare to the EPS with bitcoin impairment.

Yes, many questions.

How will they handle billing?
Will they have to affix credit card readers to all superchargers?
How will this affect already crowded charging locations?
How will Tesla owners react when a lowly ID.4 is blocking their spot?

Although as a shareholder, this could be yet another revenue stream, so...
With a phone app. You pull up the app. It has your cc info in it, uses gps and you confirm charger C2, and after it’s connected and your app authorization goes through the charger turns on and provides power to the car.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Per the EPA, 90% drive at 75,000 pounds or fewer on the road.

Average weight of a class 8 truck is 17,000 pounds and another 4,000 pounds for the powertrain. How much are the batteries going to weight on a Tesla Semi?

The fact that most class 8 trucks need to run at close to 80,000 pounds and truckers need to pay for showers, tells me the industry is running on thin margins,..

I simplistically think of a Semi battery pack is 12 Model 3 packs, that is probably the worst case scenario.
A Model 3 pack weighs about 1,000 pounds, so 12,000 pounds for the battery, worst case scenario.

The last I remember from Elon is Tesla was close to being able to support max weight...

But if we step back a bit, what really matter is the costs per pound per mile, and the time taken to move the freight.
Even with fast charging stop at Megachargers, there is a good chance the Tesla Semi can complete some trips quicker, to do that charging needs to fit inthe drivers scheduled stops, When they are on the road it is going to an ICE semi longer to complete the same trip, especially if it includes a long uphill section.

If think solar power Megacharging at $0.07 even throwing in free showers, this point of showers stems from an online discussion I had with a US trucker. It was a big deal for him, and at the end of the discussion I felt sorry for the poor guy, We all know how driving long miles in a ICE increases fatigue and how all we arrive fresher driving long distance in a EV. Truck drivers worldwide have a demanding job, the squeeze on margins, usually means squeezing them.

At a minimum the Tesla Semi means the driver gets all scheduled stops, completes the trip quicker, and is less tired.
It should still cost less per pound/mile to move the freight.

I can see truck drivers and freight companies readily embracing the Tesla Semi, it is a big step forward on many levels.

Yes, many questions.

How will they handle billing?
Will they have to affix credit card readers to all superchargers?
How will this affect already crowded charging locations?
How will Tesla owners react when a lowly ID.4 is blocking their spot?

Although as a shareholder, this could be yet another revenue stream, so...
My idea:
  1. User create a Tesla account to buy an adapter.
  2. Any charge through that adapter goes to the card in the account.
As seamless as it could get.

A bit off topic here in after-hours, but it is related to solar power, EVs and my TSLA shares.

Today I won an auction for a new home being built in what is billed as America’s first solar-powered town. The solar power is not from home roofs, but a large solar farm adjacent to the community. For now, power at night comes from the grid, but the plan is for battery storage once it becomes a little cheaper. An electrical outlet to charge an EV is standard in every home garage in my new neighborhood.

Bad me: I had to sell a tiny number of TSLA shares today to cover the required deposit for the home. Five years ago, I paid cash for a new home with TSLA profits, and will be doing so again this year.

Last edited:
My idea:
  1. User create a Tesla account to buy an adapter.
  2. Any charge through that adapter goes to the card in the account.
As seamless as it could get.

Every EV buyer purchasing a separate Tesla adapter to throw in their car would not be seamless.

Here's how Tesla does the "open up chargers" strategy.

1.) NEW charging stations with combination CCS and Tesla plugs.
2.) NEW charging stations with app integration/api integration.

Login in to Tesla Charging App, scan QR code, there you go.

If your car is a Tesla, use the Tesla style plug.

Over time though, were Tesla to be come the dominant, national services provider in EV charging, they probably build all new Tesla's with dual receptacles.

I've said it before that I support Tesla to open up its SC network.

It's the only way forward if wide EV adoption is at the center of Tesla's goal.

And from an investor's perspective, it's an amazing opportunity. Tesla has internally set over 1M production for all its parts suppliers this year alone, and at 50% growth YoY over the next decade. However, SC is a costly venture. Especially in under-utilized routes that connect the middle of somewhere to the middle of nowhere.

So, how do you accelerate SC expansion? 2 options: base on the 50% average growth rate and stick with it. Cost to operate averages out the same over time. But that's not the ideal solution. Hence option 2: open it up to every new EV out there, and allow SC to grow not at the pace Tesla is growing (limited by production capacity), but how the entire EV market is growing.

For those feeling that Tesla loses a huge competitive advantage as users, think it this way... what about instead of having one station every 120miles with 4-8 stalls, and 5-10 stations in a major city with 10-12 stalls, it can now make as many station as there's gas station? So, there's one for every 20miles or so on long trips and pretty much every other block in the city? Tesla can't afford to do that if they are only serving Tesla EVs. But if they are expanding to serve the entire EV market, which itself is replacing every ICE on road, it's a viable business.

As for investors, just think that Tesla is not only aiming to become the largest car maker in the world (when EV takes over the auto industry), it is also aiming to become the largest "gas station" operator (Chevron+Shell+Texaco+etc) and energy producer (Aramco+RDS+Chevron+etc).

So my 2 cents on the Supercharger news...

Honestly, as a shareholder I am not happy. The network is one of Tesla's main competitive advantages and now they are giving it up for peanuts. Ask Big Oil why most of the majors have sold their gas stations to 3rd party operators, or went branded wholesale. Hint: you can't make money on selling gas. I mean sure the oil companies make money on selling crude and refining it, but if you operate a gas station, the convenience store is the one that makes money, not the pump. So for those who see some major revenue stream from this, I am not sure anything suggest this part would be different with electricity. And then there is the potential to annoy your own customers as they will now have to wait while some Hyundai Kona with a 39kwh battery is charging for an hour. (Not hating on the Kona, it's just an example of a car that charges super slow).

Hopefully Elon knows what he is doing.

Every EV buyer purchasing a separate Tesla adapter to throw in their car would not be seamless.

Here's how Tesla does the "open up chargers" strategy.

1.) NEW charging stations with combination CCS and Tesla plugs.
2.) NEW charging stations with app integration/api integration.

Login in to Tesla Charging App, scan QR code, there you go.

If your car is a Tesla, use the Tesla style plug.

Over time though, were Tesla to be come the dominant, national services provider in EV charging, they probably build all new Tesla's with dual receptacles.
This doesn’t take ANY advantage of the existing network. It requires building new stations. Non-starter.

edit: for example, if you sell a user an adapter, you have opened up 1000 SuC locations for him immediately. How long would it take to build 1000 new, compatible stations?

Last edited:
A bit off topic here in after-hours, but it is related to solar power, EVs and my TSLA shares.

Today I won an auction for a new home being built in what is billed as America’s first solar town. The solar power is not from home roofs, but a large solar farm adjacent to the community. For now, power at night comes from the grid, but the plan is for battery storage once it becomes a little cheaper. An electrical outlet to charge an EV is standard in every home garage in my new neighborhood.

Bad me: I had to sell a tiny number of TSLA shares today to cover the required deposit for the home. Five years ago, I paid cash for a new home with TSLA profits, and will be doing so again this year.
Using TSLA profits to purchase something that will lower your carbon footprint in the future to increase sustainability is probably embedded in the Tesla Secret Master Plan Part Six.

I wonder how Tesla will handle queuing?

I believe the first holiday they open up there will be around 100 cars lined up at every supercharger here in Norway.

Today's most popular public charging station get bogged down every holiday. And fist fights have broke out since there is no proper queue and some manage to jump the line.

On most - except for a few notorious - superchargers today there isn't that much queuing since Tesla have like 8 or up to 50 stations while the public ones often have just 2 or perhaps 8.
Limited availability to 3rd party cars for high utilization sites.

None-Tesla users would get grayed out entries with that fine print when they search for nearby superchargers.

Then they would kick themselves for not buying a Tesla in the first place.

Last edited: