Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GA is by far the most labour-intensive portion of manufacture, and is also the stage that turns "parts" into "cars". I wonder how quickly they could set up an improvised GA line outside of Alameda...

I hope Alameda realizes that this sort of stance they're taking is going to destroy any chance of Tesla doing any further expansion in the area.

I don’t think they care. They certainly haven’t been acting like it.

Reactions: flabellina
I’m confused. I thought the sheriffs office said manufacturing cars would not be allowed. Why am I getting the impression that some people think production will continue? Has there been an update?
That was the Sheriff's personal opinion, not the deal that was finally made.

GA is by far the most labour-intensive portion of manufacture, and is also the stage that turns "parts" into "cars". I wonder how quickly they could set up an improvised GA line outside of Alameda...

I hope Alameda realizes that this sort of stance they're taking is going to destroy any chance of Tesla doing any further expansion in the area. I bet you that if this had happened earlier, they would have built the Y line at GF1 instead (they were, after all, wavering between the two).

Yes this could work...they can replicate something like the Fremont tent elsewhere and workers will probably be happy to relocate for a few months to keep their job.

Or to put it more bluntly: car manufacture at Fremont won't stop until there's a legal injunction enforced by a police barricade. And Tesla will be fighting the occurance of such a situation by all means, both diplomatic and legal.

Until then, cars will keep rolling out of the factory and out to delivery.

Yes this could work...they can replicate something like the Fremont tent elsewhere and workers will probably be happy to relocate for a few months to keep their job.

Anyone have the list of counties on-hand following the same order as Alameda? Is Lathrop under those auspices? Lots of space there, already under a roof. Convenient loading docks, designed for trucks to pull up. Main thing they'd need to be able to set up is a conveyor system; last time they built it out of a parts conveyor system they had scrapped. Not sure how easy it'd be this time.

I’m confused. I thought the sheriffs office said manufacturing cars would not be allowed. Why am I getting the impression that some people think production will continue? Has there been an update?

We don;t know the detail of exactly what has been agreed too, making Model Y is the most bullish interpretation, but may turn our to be incorrect, in fact it is more unlikely than likely. But may be something that could be negotiated quickly in future.

Also note who reported it: the Ryan Mac who conspired with Unsworth's lawyer to publish Elon's confidential emails to allow Unsworth to sue for defamation...

If that's the only source I wouldn't trust the reporting without independent confirmation.

Anyone have the list of counties on-hand following the same order as Alameda? Is Lathrop under those auspices? Lots of space there, already under a roof. Convenient loading docks, designed for trucks to pull up. Main thing they'd need to be able to set up is a conveyor system; last time they built it out of a parts conveyor system they had scrapped. Not sure how easy it'd be this time.

If you have seen the Telsa crash test lab, they use a Model S motor to pull the cars....

So perhaps some simple system involving, rails, gravity, electric motors and trolleys will work.

I think getting agreement that they can make painted bodies to transport elsewhere for finishing is the hard part.

But we have to question whether or not government wants to help industry, it isn't the role of government to prevent industry.

Lathrop is in San Joaquin county, which is not a part of the six counties that were virtually shutdown to shelter at home. San Joaquin county did declare a state or emergency yesterday, however, so it is very possible that in the future a shelter at home declaration will be made.

Also note who reported it: the Ryan Mac who conspired with Unsworth's lawyer to publish Elon's confidential emails to allow Unsworth to sue for defamation...

If that's the only source I wouldn't trust the reporting without independent confirmation.

It sure seems like he had this sheriff twisted around his finger....

The shorts have really been active the past week or two.... they must be smelling blood.

Lathrop is in San Joaquin county, not one of the six included in these rules.

It would be difficult for the county to allow car assembly when it is so far removed from the intent of the order. It's illegal to drive to visit your boy friend or girl friend, and they should allow a factory with 10,000 employees that aren't supporting an immediate need to remain open? They are dependent on voluntary observance of the order, and people would take them and the order less seriously if the plant remained open.

Also, all of California might soon be under similar restrictions.

(I don't agree with the restrictions. We should be doing what we can to keep the economy going while also taking steps to slow the spread of the virus.)

• Disagree
Reactions: KarenRei
um, if they can’t manufacture cars, it would be insane not to lay them off. Call it furlough, or whatever, but no way Tesla can afford to pay them, IMHO.

They are hourly employees so they don't get paid for time not working unless they use PTO. The real issue is that without pay for an extended period of time many will move on looking for other work since they have bills to pay. This is going to be the story all over the US in the next few months. Can the US government really give everyone enough cash to stem the resulting debt deflation this will cause? Call me skeptical. Anyone else watching the 10 yr US Treasuries going up even with massive fed buying in effect ?

Some people here think the Fremont 75% workforce reduction is good news (since it isn't a total shutdown, and people are speculating about spreading people out, so only 25% of people work at one time, don't know if that'll fly). I think the headlines and news stories are going to be pretty brutal. Unless we are up macro big time tomorrow, I suspect TSLA will be down at open from this.

25% humans, 100% robots. (Robots are exempt from the ruling)

3-18-2020 5-41-10 PM.png

Again, it's Elon... we are fine for Q1.