Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugly? Or amazing?

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 11.33.43 PM.png

I'm really surprised that most of you don't like the design. I really like it and hoped it would be something as minimalistic as this.
What did you expect? It's called Cybertruck, cyber, not ordinary truck or boringtruck or F150 "I want to poison you" truck.

I'm one that is disappointed with the look. And I was all for a look that was radically different. I thought it would look more balanced, it's the peak in the middle that bothers me. But here's the thing. After looking at it from different angles and for more time, it doesn't look as bad as the initial impression. And I've always been one to value function over form.

I'm so impressed with the super tough, unpainted body, long range, cargo and towing capacity, adaptive suspension with huge ground clearance and approach angles, acceleration, etc. etc. etc. If it maintains the announced specs, there is no way I won't be owning one of these. And the announced pricing is unreal!

From an investor standpoint, I'm heartened by this. At first, I thought it was a disaster from a styling perspective but here's the deal: Potential revenues from this truck are too far off to matter. But if the pricing and specs are realistic it tells us Musk knows about major cost efficiencies in the 2-year pipeline which bodes very well for the profitability of *all* their models. So either none of this is real or the future is very bright.

I was gonna say... if we're honest, the big winner tonight might in fact be Rivian. I hope I'm wrong.

The Prius was market-leading even with its looks.

Any business who cares in the slightest about money or profits will be buying this at that starting price, period. I think that members of the general public will warm to it.

I have a feeling this truck will do pretty well.

The combination of features, performance, and cost will allow it to capture >15% of the market even if the buyers aren't crazy about how it looks. So I'm not worried about it being a successful product.

But it's not out for 2 years, and it will take another year before it's selling in volumes, so for 3 years the asshats will be talking about how no one is going to buy it.

The 2 (TWO!!! How did they not test the crap out of this demo?) broken windows are going to make it a joke / internet meme for a painfully long time.

But the thing that unnerved me was the tone. It's like Elon was primarily targeting the Hummer-lover demographic, people who want to drive tanks in the street. He's talking about hitting it with bullets and sledgehammers and steel balls. I understand that durability is an important selling point, but I'm a little worried that instead of coal rolling and keying Teslas, some pieces of *sugar* are going to start seeing Teslas (potentially all models) as targets for much worse treatment. I wish he could have demonstrated its toughness in less violent ways. I hope I'm wrong.

So good product, poor reveal.