Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see why they would do that. Gas stations make almost no profit on gas, it's all about getting you in to buy a soda or cigarettes. EV drivers, even with V3 (or even faster future speeds) will be an even better source of revenue for that stuff because it will be a 10-40 minute charging session. Wawa is adding Tesla superchargers for a reason.

Tesla owners buying soda or cigarettes?

Maybe WaWa can sell cucumber infused still water for $10.

Matcha or Kombucha tea for $15

That wouldn’t increase their market, just make it decrease less. Said people in apartments likely already have gas cars that have to be filled up for all 3 reasons at gas stations. If apartment dwellers don’t have access to charging at home or work, then they have to fill up their cars exactly like they already are. I suppose most Tesla’s have lower range than most gas cars, so they might make such visits a bit more often, but I can’t imagine that’ll be enough to counteract the wholesale loss of all homeowners and others who can charge at home/work as regular customers.

Tesla owners without home charging are far more likely to Stop at Wawa with Superchargers than generic chargers in a parking lot.

ICEv owners are largely agnostic about where to get gas, with the exception of a few old guys that are brand loyal for whatever reason.

My wife has relatives living in Taiwan and considering an EV. They recently visited us here in the states and one of them told me that charging is definitely the issue in Taiwan.

On another note, I believe that Taiwan would be a great location to test Tesla's '2-minute battery replacement' that they revealed but never released:

In Taiwan, scooters are extremely popular and all the more recent scooters have the same form factor batteries that are easily replaceable. There are battery replacement centers all over the place where the owner is easily able to replace their battery for free; the model is designed so that the scooter owners don't have to worry about ever charging the batteries - whenever their battery ends up with a low charge, they just drop into one of these battery replacement centers and pick up a fully-charged battery for free. The model is a subscription model where, instead of purchasing the scooters, the scooters are leased with free unlimited battery replacements for the length of the lease. This works well in Taiwan for several reasons:

1. The government heavily subsidizes and supports the effort
2. Taiwan is relatively small so it wasn't that difficult to setup battery replacement centers in enough places to make it convenient to replace the batteries
3. The batteries in scooters are obviously much smaller/lighter than in cars, so the owners are able to easily replace them themselves without any expensive proprietary tools

There are obvious difficulties that Tesla would need to resolve if they were to attempt to do this, but if Tesla were to attempt to do this anywhere, Taiwan would be the ideal testing grounds because a primary portion of Taiwan's population is already familiar with the process of replacing batteries when more miles is needed as opposed to charging batteries themselves.
Having chargers located in the mall parking lots would work well in Taiwan. The demographic that could afford these cars are likely to frequent them while grocery shopping or shopping for other things.

Oh, so you haven't been to Seattle recently? It's changed.

View attachment 458899
;)
My guess is that given its a law that new construction in Seattle has EV chargers the public charging infrastructure is seen as a lower priority. I also don't think the volume of traffic through Seattle between Vancouver and Portland is comparable to many other transit routes. As someone living in apartment complex in Seattle without a charger and needing to use one of the very limited number of superchargers in the area with some frequency I would argue that that is a poor choice, but the opinions of one are often less informed than the data as a whole. Im sure Tesla has analytics that it can run to see where adding chargers would have the greatest benefit.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Tesla owners buying soda or cigarettes?

Maybe WaWa can sell cucumber infused still water for $10.

Matcha or Kombucha tea for $15

OR, they could make chargers for the Porsche Taycan. Then they can have a base kombucha for $15. But the base styrofoam cup will cost $5 extra, a proper mug $20 extra (plus an optional extra $10 for having the Porsche logo on the mug), $25 for an alumium teabag-removing-fork, $75 to upgrade it to rhodium-plated stainless steel...

Deliveries of Model 3 in NL+NO+SP have blown past the final numbers for Q2 and should pass Q1 in the next day or two.
34FC2044-80B3-4E0A-A17C-343B89566077.jpeg
70623750-FAE9-4E67-B88C-B1E172198B52.jpeg

If you’re looking for bad news, S/X numbers look sure to come in behind Q2, though still ahead of Q1.

Attachments

• DA3F5F94-7C2F-4B02-81BC-1469CD20AB43.jpeg
    DA3F5F94-7C2F-4B02-81BC-1469CD20AB43.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 45
Tesla owners without home charging are far more likely to Stop at Wawa with Superchargers than generic chargers in a parking lot.

ICEv owners are largely agnostic about where to get gas, with the exception of a few old guys that are brand loyal for whatever reason.
Or have had bad gas from the El-Cheapo stations.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster and madodel

Just to use myself as an example. When I roadtrip I often don’t plan ahead. As I sit in a Supercharger between previous and my next destination I open google maps, search for “tesla destination charger” at my next destination, check which of the main hotels has one, check in google maps if they have availability and good reviews and book through hotels.com, then I continue my drive. A lot of us millennials are very lazy with planning and expect things to just work out and prefer to be in the moment as long as possible.

I can see there being a business case to try to understand. The question is, if we need to stop 15-40min(instead of 5min for gas) what do we want to do? Drink coffee? Use our laptops/iPads? Eat a quick meal? Have a foot massage? Wash and style of our hair/get a haircut? I think there will be some rethinking about the business idea around petrol/charging stations. Also remember that in 10years there likely will be 10x as many people needing charging compared to today. I can see semi big supercharging parking lots with tons of small shops around them with starbucks, chipotle, amazon go etc along the highways in a not too distant time frame.

Here are some excerpts:
"alleges that Lemelson used written reports, interviews, and social media to spread untrue claims, including that Ligand was “teetering on the brink of bankruptcy” "
" “While short-sellers are free to express their opinions about particular companies, they may not bolster those opinions with false statements, which is what we allege Lemelson did here,” said David Becker, an Assistant Director in the SEC’s Division of Enforcement."

So short sellers for tesla, one of the most shorted stocks, have not ever bolstered their opinions with false statements? Oh SEC where are you now--probably going to the gas station to plug in your computer so you can keep track of the nyse and nasday...

Here are some excerpts:
"alleges that Lemelson used written reports, interviews, and social media to spread untrue claims, including that Ligand was “teetering on the brink of bankruptcy” "
" “While short-sellers are free to express their opinions about particular companies, they may not bolster those opinions with false statements, which is what we allege Lemelson did here,” said David Becker, an Assistant Director in the SEC’s Division of Enforcement."

So short sellers for tesla, one of the most shorted stocks, have not ever bolstered their opinions with false statements? Oh SEC where are you now--probably going to the gas station to plug in your computer so you can keep track of the nyse and nasday...
I will add that if the SEC is passively allowing such behavior-- short sellers of tsla using false claims, then the SEC themselves are then active participants in the campaign to worsen our air, worsen our climate and to take down tesla.

But it seems like they make a lot of things up. For example they said that the Model 3 was were cells were first glued to the cooling tubes. Nope, not true. The cells for the S&X have been glued to the cooling tubes since day one. (At least as far as I can remember from the @wk057 videos showing him try to pry cells out of a module and causing damage and run-away heat.)

And like "we think they can double stack the cells everywhere, even after going to the taller 2170s so we think they can fit 130kWh in the car." Really you think Tesla left that much empty room in the car? (Tesla already puts the HVJB/charger under the rear seats in the S so that space isn't available.)

Last edited: