Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
somebody gotta ask Elon whether Roadster 2 is gonna beat the Porsche 919 Hybrid Evo, which, albeit a prototype, has a 5:19.546 record....

Have you watched that video where the lap record was set and seen anything about the car that did that lap? It's an actual race car - not something that pretends anywhere to be anything except a race car. I think it's either one of their Le Mans cars, or comes from that world.

Here we go: Porsche 919 Hybrid - Wikipedia

It's a Le Mans LMP1 class car. If I read the page correctly, at least a 2 time winner ('16, '17).

I think that talking and thinking about Roadster 2 as being competitive with a full on race car over anything other than a straight line acceleration, quarter mile, or similar is enjoying the Kool-Aid a bit too much.

(Sidebar - you really gotta watch the video. Reading the Youtube comments is also funny - any number of people commenting that they thought they'd goofed and set the replay to 1.5x or 2.0x, but nope - it was 1.0x. Plenty more people commenting they can't go that fast in their car racing video game :D)

Better / faster than any other production car that's been taken to the 'Ring - that I can readily believe.

Google disagrees. The days of that sort of FUD really moving things are behind us IMO.

taycan vs tesla - Google Search

Just last week there was an article from IBtimes that showed the Taycan "roared to 60 in 2.6 sec" and said the Model S can "accelerate to 60 in 3.5 seconds"...that's right..different choice of words and using the Model 3 performance time to talk about the Model S. So are you saying today is the day that FUD is behind us..like right this second?"

Btw, every comment under this article is telling IBtimes they wrote the wrong specs in for the Model S. It's been more than 10 days..still waiting for them to correct the error.

Tesla Model S vs. Porsche Taycan: Which EV Is Better In Range, Specs?

Last edited:
This pissing contest about speed is definitely good for both companies. The more articles that show how fast the Taycan is and then talk about the Tesla being faster, or not, informs more people of just how fast EVs can be.

And the the VAST majority of buyers will see that the Tesla seats five, maybe 7, has a big frunk a cavernous trunk, with fold-down seats for trips to the container park, etc. And from there it's an easy choice, especially for persuading the missus.

Last edited:
Roadster 2 with SpaceX will trounce it. Might without too...

It's a Le Mans LMP1 class car (the Porsche 919 Hybrid). It's not street legal anywhere (except the streets of Le Mans, while the race is on). it's a full out, pretty much unrestricted class, very few instances ever built because their purposes is high performance endurance racing.

Touching a few higher km/hr in a straight isn't going to get the Roadster 2 into it's category. Much as I'd like it to.

New holder for production cars - I readily believe that (I like the Kool-Aid plenty). But competitive with a car that's been used to win Le Mans in the top class - no.

Here is an interesting thing I just found on the CBOE website. It looks like LEAPS no longer depend on which cycle a stock is and we can get 2022s now.

How do I know when the next January expiring LEAPS will be listed?
All new January expiring equity LEAPS are initially listed the Monday of expiration week, in September.

Edit: It doesn't look like they are very liquid yet but they are there.

Touching a few higher km/hr in a straight isn't going to get the Roadster 2 into it's category. Much as I'd like it to.

But strapping up to 10 rocket thrusters to the Roadster 2, which are powered from its power pack, to be able to corner at 200+ km/h, could certainly improve Roadster 2 Nürburgring lap times.

Might require a g-suit for the driver though. :D

Are both cars at the ring Plaid? I thought one was to be the currently available P100D. When did this change?

In this "spy video", released today, I believe it's pretty clear that the second Model S was a Plaid model as well:

(The almost completely silent straight line performance of the red Plaid Model S under full acceleration is pretty impressive!)

Here is an interesting thing I just found on the CBOE website. It looks like LEAPS no longer depend on which cycle a stock is and we can get 2022s now.

How do I know when the next January expiring LEAPS will be listed?
All new January expiring equity LEAPS are initially listed the Monday of expiration week, in September.

Edit: It doesn't look like they are very liquid yet but they are there.

I just saw they were available and came to report it here. I bought a $400 for $25.50.

The trolls on Electrek and Reddit are claiming Plaid is using non street legal track only tires. Does anyone know which tires they are actually using?
Here's a picture of the tires. Street legal with thread.

Carbon-ceramic-brakes.RedPlaidPrototype.jpg

BTW, yes those are Carbon-Ceramic brake rotors. Also an option on better 'vette's and porch's. ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just last week there was an article from IBtimes that showed the Taycan "roared to 60 in 2.6 sec" and said the Model S can "accelerate to 60 in 3.5 seconds"...that's right..different choice of words and using the Model 3 performance time to talk about the Model S. So are you saying today is the day that FUD is behind us..like right this second?"

Btw, every comment under this article is telling IBtimes they wrote the wrong specs in for the Model S. It's been more than 10 days..still waiting for them to correct the error.

Tesla Model S vs. Porsche Taycan: Which EV Is Better In Range, Specs?
I said the ability of FUD to matter is mostly behind us. Just because there are some articles talking crap on Tesla doesn't mean this isn't a good thing. Even sites like BI are running favorable articles comparing the two.

The question is "are more potential buyers being scared off by FUD articles or is this spat increasing awareness?" I feel the latter is accurate as the negative articles would be happening regardless.

I said the ability of FUD to matter is mostly behind us. Just because there are some articles talking crap on Tesla doesn't mean this isn't a good thing. Even sites like BI are running favorable articles comparing the two.

The question is "are more potential buyers being scared off by FUD articles or is this spat increasing awareness?" I feel the latter is accurate as the negative articles would be happening regardless.

Fear and negative press is way more powerful than any positive news.

No one cares if the Model S can go around in a circle the fastest if the battery was reported to explode. You can write 100 positive article but people only remember the one negative one.

In fact a good example is one of the video in China that interviewed GF3 construction workers. Those low salary earners knew very little about Tesla. But this is what he said..."I believe a Tesla is a pretty popular American brand right?...I have been hearing they catch on fire...". Honestly he only knew two facts about Tesla thanks to the Model S fire in the parking garage.

People don't focus on what something CAN do. They only focus on what it CAN'T do. That's why "charging infrastructure makes road tripping more difficult" stop people from buying electric cars even though they couldn't count on one hand the times they actually used their commuter car to travel 300 miles+ in a single day.

Last edited:
I continue to really wish Elon would give clarity to the price difference for the Plaid version. Simply saying a ballpark of 20-30k more would be very helpful in not hurting current S/X sales. Hell estimate on the high side and give a range of 30-40k. I love all of the attention the Plaid is getting and it absolutely is hurting Porsche's image right now. I don't have any problem with them toting the next great thing but dont' let some people think it's only going to be 5 or 10 grand more than the current Model S P

I continue to really wish Elon would give clarity to the price difference for the Plaid version. Simply saying a ballpark of 20-30k more would be very helpful in not hurting current S/X sales. Hell estimate on the high side and give a range of 30-40k. I love all of the attention the Plaid is getting and it absolutely is hurting Porsche's image right now. I don't have any problem with them toting the next great thing but dont' let some people think it's only going to be 5 or 10 grand more than the current Model S P

Him talking about the rear seats having more room hints at an interior refresh so it's not just a powertrain thing. And the interior refresh is something that will happen to all S so that's the real problem. Usually a higher power model doesn't Osborne the lower power model. A civic type R that was a year late didn't stop anyone from buying the Civic.