Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Threads of the day:
Project Dojo - the SaaS Product? Dojo online
Wiki - Falcon Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion 20% more raptor power
Tesla Optimus Sub-Prime Robot Rumour last week was that they are already working in Tesla factory

@TrendTrader007 Can I suggest you post here:
Super Bulls Only
The readers will be more open to your posts and I basically dedicated the thread to your leaving previously. The second word being your name.
I will be posting here more often as talking robotaxis and bots is where it is at.
Leave @TrendTrader007 alone. He can post in the investment thread if he wants. There's a lot worse posters than him. I was glad to see him come back. He was a super bull before the 2020 breakout, and we all know how that went.

Tesla Van leak? What do you all think?

“Leaked video of the secret Tesla van prototype designed for Elon Musk's Vegas Loop, from inside The Boring Company's Las Vegas headquarters”
That's such an early stage of a prototype it might as well be made of clay. But a boring tunnel optimized van will definitely happen at some point.

I think we have talked about that possibility before. But one issue with that is that the Cybertruck is supposed to be 48v and going into production as we speak. Obviously, they aren't getting the parts from Giga Mexico right now... Where are they coming from? Has Tesla spun up initial pilot lines somewhere, or did they find suppliers to make the parts for them?
I hope they include a built in brake control because as far as I know no one builds a 48 volt unit. It’s already a bit of a problem with the 16 volt LFP batteries as brake control manufacturers like Tekonsha don’t guarantee they will work on 16 volts.

It will be interesting to see how this develops. Can’t tow without a brake control.

Last edited:
I am not a particular fan of posters bullying other posters to, for example, go away and post elsewhere. Were I to be particular, for example, about 2/3 of this thread's posts and close to 1/2 of its participants would be sent packing for posting -
  • garbage
  • yucks for yuckety-yuck's sake and no other
  • numerological nonsense
  • memes that do absolutely nothing either to augment the post itself or edify others
  • repetition of far too-often demonstrated positions, points of view or opinions unreinforced by background material
  • conspiracies
  • items repeatedly warned by Moderators as being Off Topic

Or maybe I should do such anyway? Certainly would quickly fill up the electron trash bins
While I'm guilty of a few of these sometimes ya just can't help it!

And I'm pulling out... /s

Optimus isnt going to take away any of the ABB or KUKA robots Tesla already use.
I agree that Optimus won't replace Kuka directly in the near term. However, gigacastings have already halved? the number of Kuka/ABB robots. Unboxed will surely remove a lot more.

Tesla will surprise folk how quickly the lines can be built and ramped. Not having Kuka/ABB robots to setup is huge. No big outlay, no concrete pads, no precision placement, no software to write and rewrite, no cages, humans can make changes whilst line is running etc.

In one of the many clickbait stories from MSM outlets I saw this sentence

1689044739674.png

Mass layoffs throughout 2023”

is this correct?

New benchmark for the Roadster just dropped

Stuff Koenigsegg do is mind blowing, even though the haven’t gave up ICE yet

2300 hp, fits four with luggage and most important of all, 8 heated and cooled cup holders

Q: What has 8,160 hp, seats forty (w. luggage) and burns ONLY fossils?

A: Eight Tesla Plaid Models S w. Track Pack (sic burn, w. a side of Quicke).

:D

I agree that Optimus won't replace Kuka directly in the near term. However, gigacastings have already halved? the number of Kuka/ABB robots. Unboxed will surely remove a lot more.
Fun thought experiment. What if they would try to do this for the Tesla Bot Gigafactory? Teach one bot how to assemble one bot. Currently they have humans doing it, so it should be possible. Have KUKA robots etc make the parts needed, then let optimus bots assemble them. Might not be the most efficient way to assemble them, but at least it would scale very fast. If it takes one day for one bot to assemble one bot, the doubling time of their assembly would be 1day or 1000x in 10days.

Fun thought experiment. What if they would try to do this for the Tesla Bot Gigafactory? Teach one bot how to assemble one bot. Currently they have humans doing it, so it should be possible. Have KUKA robots etc make the parts needed, then let optimus bots assemble them. Might not be the most efficient way to assemble them, but at least it would scale very fast. If it takes one day for one bot to assemble one bot, the doubling time of their assembly would be 1day or 1000x in 10days.

We will eventually end up there, the relevant question is the most optimal path.

For bots and cars, I think we will see assembly tasks designed for humans, initially done by humans, and with bots slowly being phased in.

Say a line with humans can assemble 100 bots per day, as bots are phased in the aim will be to keep the same run rate.
Then Tesla can up the run rate by speeding up the bots, or duplicating the line.

Once Tesla is mostly using bots, a large factory floor space with duplicate lines is the most optimal solution.

What this probably means for most human factory workers is more variety of work, more time spent solving problems, training bots, identifying problems, monitoring bot performance, quality control, inspections, scheduling etc.

In the end there should be very little need for humans to regularly do simple repetitive tasks. The manual jobs humans end up doing will require judgement, skill and dexterity that robots can't currently achieve, and that bar will probably get progressively higher.

Lol, highly dubious that any anonymous tweeter acct from mainland China would know details of the upcoming designed-in-america, built-in-mexico, sold-in-USA Compact car.

Last time we heard Elon comment on the Tesla China Design team located at the Giga Shanghai R&D Centre, he said "they're just not ready yet" (their time will come).

Compact car is just too important to delegate to the 'B'-team. Tesla will have it's best and brightest, most accomplished designers and engineers on this project (yes, it's that critical that Compact car is a home run).

That's why Franz said he works on this design every day during his latest podcast appearance, and why Tesla has assigned supervision of the construction of Giga Monterrey to Tom Zhu, the hero of Shanghai.

Cheers to the A-Team!