Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you believe Elon is not worth listening to?
Here is the strategy he presented in the Tesla Secret Master Plan of 2006.

"The strategy of Tesla is to enter at the high end of the market, where customers are prepared to pay a premium, and then drive down market as fast as possible to higher unit volume and lower prices with each successive model."​
If this strategy is still working, that is, there is no surplus of cars being stored on lots for long periods of time as with other OEMs, then, what possible advantage could there be in changing the formula to copy what those other OEMs are doing (advertising)?

Regardless of unit volume there is no unexpected effect upon the ability to put the full capacity of production into the hands of the buyers at essentially the rate they are being produced. (taking into account an increasing number in shipment on par with increasing production, which is presented as "inventory")

The very fact that Tesla does what "nobody" else does, i.e.: "cuts prices when there is more demand than supply" is the very basis of the strategy defined for Tesla to achieve the Mission.

The mission isn't to make more money, it is to accelerate the transition.

As for educational material, there has been an increase in YouTube videos from Tesla over the past year or two doing precisely that.

Why has every new technology followed the exact same pattern of constant improvements and lowered costs? First cell phones vs current ones, first PCs vs current ones, etc. As many others have pointed out Tesla has reduced production costs in many ways and will continue to do so. That will be reflected in the price of the product, it's part of the plan.

Here's the thing. What you guys said and what I said are perfectly compatible.

Tesla's strategy with regards to the demand curve is nothing new. Starbucks pretty much did the same thing with a twist. When their product first came out, it was a premium product and targeted the high end of the coffee drinker market. Over time, as competitors entered the market and as people got used to paying 5 bucks for a cup of coffee, Starbucks' target market became the average customer.

Here's the question: when does Tesla move down the demand curve, aka, 'drive down market'? Two conditions need to be met. Production cost needs to go down through scale, and the top portion of the demand curve needs to have been fully utilized to capture profit. If production becomes cheaper but there is still significant enough of a market at the prevailing price, Tesla, or any other company, would NOT reduce prices. Think about it. If at hypothetical $60k a piece, a Model Y still has 2 million buyers a year, why would Tesla want to cut prices? The logical thing to do is to cut prices once production volume exceeds demand at the current price levels.

Whether you believe Tesla prioritizes making a profit or saving the Earth, the company should not and will not cut prices if demand exceeds supply, regardless of how much they're able to reduce production costs. Doing so would only create too many orders that they cannot fulfill and put too much economic surplus on the table.

The reason I think Tesla should put money into marketing is my belief that Tesla had not fully utilized the top portion of the demand curve yet. There are relatively well-off car buyers out there that don't know how affordable and reliable Teslas are; they don't even think of purchasing an EV or a Tesla because they assume these cars are too expensive and are still unfinished products.

It's cool to think Tesla is a charity whose sole mission is to make the world a better place, but this doesn't exempt them from the laws of economics and from market forces.

I feel compelled to drag out this chart right now.

Absolutely love this chart- curious if you could share the source (or the source for the data) as this is a thing I think would be handy to keep an updated copy of.

Um, yeah, they don't use CANBUS

Um, yeah, they do though.

That's Ingineerix discussing the extensive use of CAN in Tesla vehicles.

Now, Tesla does ALSO use ethernet- and to a greater degree than legacy auto tends to... but they absolutely still use canbus in all current models.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Elon will be on Tucker Carlson's show. Good luck to the brand image. We all understand what Tucker is, right? As far as I'm concerned as an investor, Elon can leave Tesla now. After the latest presentation, there are enough people at Tesla to keep the vision going. I'd like Drew in place of Elon. Thank you.
99.999% of people don’t know who that Tucker is. Myself included. I am not concerned at all. Finally, Elon is Tesla and Tesla is Elon. It is like asking Sahara to leave Africa. 🥶

Elon will be on Tucker Carlson's show. Good luck to the brand image. We all understand what Tucker is, right? As far as I'm concerned as an investor, Elon can leave Tesla now. After the latest presentation, there are enough people at Tesla to keep the vision going. I'd like Drew in place of Elon. Thank you.
No thanks

Elon vision and pushing boundaries is what makes Tesla go further and further, they have an A+ team executing it, but he still is the driving force on the decisions, that as crazy it might sound at the time, the vast majority have been proven to be the right ones again and again

edit: deleted the a bit anti-political part after I saw mod message

99.999% of people don’t know who that Tucker is. Myself included. I am not concerned at all. Finally, Elon is Tesla and Tesla is Elon. It is like asking Sahara to leave Africa. 🥶
I don't know a single person that does not know him so I would reverse that. That not being the point but back to the echo chamber. If the interview goes well we all will get to talk about it here in joyful detail.. If it is a political or stupid mess we won't and we all will have our posts deleted. Monday should be epic or epic scary.

You know what? I'm really, really tired of this. I posted in here because as an investor, I care about the company and it's image. I voice my concerns when necessary. The CEO of THIS company is choosing to behave in certain ways and it should be discussed.

I'm not just posting randomly about what is happening with our government, it is specifically tied to this company and the CEO.

IF Elon ever became a dictator, would we just brush it under the rug and never talk about it because it's "politics" .

I find this very hard to take on this board.

If you really feel the urge to discuss Elon's political views you can go this cesspool: Elon & Twitter. The Tuckers Carlson interview is also being discussed there. The thread is not really being moderated (hardly any moderators are wasting their time there), so what you write about politics will probably not be deleted, even though it is not in line with TMC policy.

You know what? I'm really, really tired of this. I posted in here because as an investor, I care about the company and it's image. I voice my concerns when necessary. The CEO of THIS company is choosing to behave in certain ways and it should be discussed.

I'm not just posting randomly about what is happening with our government, it is specifically tied to this company and the CEO.

IF Elon ever became a dictator, would we just brush it under the rug and never talk about it because it's "politics" .

I find this very hard to take on this board.
I struggle with this dilemma myself; on the one hand, IMHO this is one of the most important topics to determine the future of Tesla and TSLA. It's not just the immediate impact on brand (the potential impact or lack thereof is something many here will have different opinions of)...the greater impact IMHO is how it impacts what geographic areas Tesla invests in (ex: move to TX, etc) and how Tesla is able to negotiate thru various governmental systems worldwide for everything from tax credits to regulatory approvals to oversight, etc.

However, while it may be the single most important topic to be discussed, it's also a topic that humans have repeatedly proved themselves psychologically unable to maturely discuss on an anonymous (to some extent) internet forum. Hence, it seems to me that given "including mature discussion of that here" is not a realistic option due to the nature of human beings, the only real choices are A) keep this particular thread politic-free and find value in all the other discussion here, or B) allow this thread to include political discussion and have the value drown in the political vitrol that would inevitably ensue here, (A) seems far better. It may be very unfortunate, but it is what it is...

If you really feel the urge to discuss Elon's political views you can go this cesspool: Elon & Twitter. It's not really being moderated (hardly any moderators are wasting their time there), so what you write about politics in that thread will probably not be deleted, even though it is not in line with TMC rules.
Yeah, I deleted my post. My POV comes more from an investor side than just wanting to discuss it in a general way....

The reason I think Tesla should put money into marketing is my belief that Tesla had not fully utilized the top portion of the demand curve yet. There are relatively well-off car buyers out there that don't know how affordable and reliable Teslas are; they don't even think of purchasing an EV or a Tesla because they assume these cars are too expensive and are still unfinished products.
The only thing advertisement will do is informing the price...which MSM is already doing wonders for Tesla with a negative twist. Reliability and the finish of the products cannot be advertised through the media but are best advertised through word of mouth. Every brand new car is reliable. You never see car commercials talking about reliability or how well their cars are screwed together. Commercials now all follow the Apple style of advertising, which is to sell a lifestyle and what you stand for. Do a shot game whenever you see an SUV climbing a mountain..you'll be drunk within the hour.

Here are the new proposed EPA rules for US vehicle emissions standards.

I have copied key parts for the CO2 emissions section but the proposal also covers seemingly every pollutant generated by combustion engines.

For light- duty vehicles, EPA is proposing standards that would increase in stringency each year over a six- year period, from MYs [Model Years] 2027-2032. The proposed standards are projected to result in an industry- wide average target for the light-duty fleet of 82 grams/mile (g/mile) of CO2 in MY 2032, representing a 56 percent reduction in projected fleet average GHG [Greenhouse Gas] emissions target levels from the existing MY 2026 standards.
For medium-duty vehicles, EPA is proposing to revise the existing standard for MY 2027 given the increased feasibility of GHG emissions reducing technologies in this sector in this time frame. EPA's proposed standards for MDVs would increase in stringency year over year from MY 2027 through MY 2032. When phased in, the MDV standards are projected to result in an average target of 275 grams/mile of CO2 by MY 2032, which would represent a reduction of 44 percent compared to the current MY 2026 standards.

The light-duty CO2 standards continue to be footprint-based, with separate standards curves for cars and light trucks. EPA has updated its assessment of the footprint standards curves to reflect anticipated changes in the vehicle technologies that we project will be used to meet the standards. EPA also has assessed ways to ensure future fleet mix changes do not inadvertently provide an incentive for manufacturers to change the size or regulatory class of vehicles as a compliance strategy. EPA is proposing to revise the footprint standards curves to flatten the slope of each curve and to narrow the numerical stringency difference between the car and truck curves. The medium-duty vehicle standards continue to be based on a work-factor metric designed for commercially-oriented vehicles, which reflects a combination of payload, towing and 4-wheel drive equipment.

1681485624133.png

1681485778185.png

1681486044607.png

19th April - ER
20th April - Twitter legacy blue checks deleted deadline
May the Fourth...
17-19th April - Starship orbital test flight
16th May - Annual Shareholders meeting

Prediction:

20th April, Tesla will announce date for Cybertruck launch event
May, CT launch (including Cyberquad and accessories)
"One more thing" will be the Highland M3

Both with H/W 4.0
Neither will employ the unboxed manufacturing methodology
Could they include Tesla Home Wireless Charger capability?
I think August 1st is the date where the Cybertruck configuration page will go live. First customer deliveries last week of September

Tucker Carlson's show is the highest-rated evening show on mainstream media channels. By a long shot. EM is simply addressing the largest number of Americans with his time. It's nothing to do with party politics. No doubt it will be about free speech, not Tesla 🤣

Saying "yer automatically a right-wing extremist if you go on that show" does not look very intelligent when consider that Glenn Greenwald is on the show frequently, and EM responds positively to Glenn's tweets - frequently. Trying to pidgeonhole EM into the one-dimensional, right-left political spectrum concept is a waste of time.

It can also be argued that positive EM coverage on Fox News TV prevents Tesla gaining a negative reputation amongst those viewers

Here's the thing. What you guys said and what I said are perfectly compatible.

Tesla's strategy with regards to the demand curve is nothing new. Starbucks pretty much did the same thing with a twist. When their product first came out, it was a premium product and targeted the high end of the coffee drinker market. Over time, as competitors entered the market and as people got used to paying 5 bucks for a cup of coffee, Starbucks' target market became the average customer.

Here's the question: when does Tesla move down the demand curve, aka, 'drive down market'? Two conditions need to be met. Production cost needs to go down through scale, and the top portion of the demand curve needs to have been fully utilized to capture profit. If production becomes cheaper but there is still significant enough of a market at the prevailing price, Tesla, or any other company, would NOT reduce prices. Think about it. If at hypothetical $60k a piece, a Model Y still has 2 million buyers a year, why would Tesla want to cut prices? The logical thing to do is to cut prices once production volume exceeds demand at the current price levels.

Whether you believe Tesla prioritizes making a profit or saving the Earth, the company should not and will not cut prices if demand exceeds supply, regardless of how much they're able to reduce production costs. Doing so would only create too many orders that they cannot fulfill and put too much economic surplus on the table.

It's cool to think Tesla is a charity whose sole mission is to make the world a better place, but this doesn't exempt them from the laws of economics and from market forces.

The things you describe are exactly what appears to be steering Tesla's pricing policy. They are adjusting prices as the market dictates, raising or lowering to keep the flow of vehicles in step with current production and logistics. Maximizing profit, as long as it doesn't reduce the flow of the spice.

I believe that Tesla prioritizes making a profit (enough to further the growth needed to meet the goal) AND does so while ALSO saving the Earth. You appear to think these are mutually exclusive. It is clear that this is not the case.

Rather than Tesla wasting money on marketing they are using other very successful marketing tactics that have further reach and less cost. Just because you cannot see the brilliance of this strategy, and appreciate how well it is working, in no way bolsters your argument for outlay of profits toward a "traditional" marketing campaign.

A campaign which the legacy OEMs are demonstrating is nothing but a fast track to their own demise as it strips funds from the development of the new products they so desperately need.

Tesla putting that money into R&D, factories, Superchargers, Showrooms, and Service Centers is the smart play. Getting tons of "free" advertising along the way as the media continues to spread FUD and their viewers find their focus more directed to Tesla-related data. Including the good stuff they stumble into, thanks to the MSM raising awareness. There is no such thing as bad publicity for a company like Tesla.

To capitulate and join the ranks of the companies they are dominating would be the wrong move. It is costly and unnecessary when new technology is disrupting old technology. Market forces and the laws of economics are already working in favor of Tesla, they are capitalizing upon them.

Did you not get the memo? Without any marketing spend Tesla will be at the top of the heap in a short time while those putting lipstick on a pig by wasting money on marketing find themselves falling further behind.

IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

Last edited:
Tesla is re-introducing the M3 RWD long range in the Netherlands, don’t know about rest of Europe. One caveat: for now only for business clients.

Range is about 630 km and price €46K.

This is going to sell like hot cakes.
Delivery for june.

Hmm, sorry guys, bad link which leads to an old page. Rumor seems legit though.

Here are the new proposed EPA rules for US vehicle emissions standards.

I have copied key parts for the CO2 emissions section but the proposal also covers seemingly every pollutant generated by combustion engines.

View attachment 928368

View attachment 928369

View attachment 928371
Hadn't realised how these standards are skewing what OEMs make. SUVs need to be EVs because they are inefficient on a relatively small footprint. Saloons can remain ICE. Clearly they need to get OEMs to make small EVs because at the moment ICE is meeting the requirement and there is no profit to be made on making them electric.

The things you describe are exactly what appears to be dictating Tesla's pricing policy. They are adjusting prices as the market dictates, raising or lowering to keep the flow of vehicles in step with current production and logistics. Maximizing profit, as long as it doesn't reduce the flow of the spice.

I believe that Tesla prioritizes making a profit (enough to further the growth needed to meet the goal) AND does so while ALSO saving the Earth. You appear to think these are mutually exclusive. It is clear that this is not the case.

Rather than Tesla wasting money on marketing, they are using other, very successful marketing tactics that have further reach and less cost. Just because you cannot see the brilliance of this strategy, and appreciate how well it is working, in no way bolsters your argument for outlay of profits toward a "traditional" marketing campaign. Which the legacy OEMs are demonstrating is nothing but a fast track to their own demise as it strips funds from the development of the new products they so desperately need.

Tesla putting that money into R&D, factories, Superchargers, Showrooms, and Service Centers is the smart play. Getting tons of "free" advertising along the way as the media continues to spread FUD and their viewers find their focus more directed to Tesla-related data. Including the good stuff they stumble into, thanks to the MSM raising awareness. There is no such thing as bad publicity for a company like Tesla.

To capitulate and join the ranks of the companies they are dominating would be the wrong move. It is costly and unnecessary when new technology is disrupting old technology. Market forces and the laws of economics are already working in favor of Tesla, they are capitalizing upon them.

Did you not get the memo? Without any marketing spend Tesla will be at the top of the heap in a short time while those putting lipstick on a pig by wasting money on marketing find themselves falling further behind.

IF IT AIN'T BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT.

I think we have to agree to disagree here. I believe there is space for educational marketing, based on my gut feelings and personal experience. I don't have data to back this up, and I don't think there are many precedents allowing us to make an educated guess on whether circumventing advertising would work - I can' think of a single well-known company that pulled this off, but I can't say for certain Tesla won't be able to. But I very much appreciate a logical argument.

I don't know a single person that does not know him so I would reverse that. That not being the point but back to the echo chamber. If the interview goes well we all will get to talk about it here in joyful detail.. If it is a political or stupid mess we won't and we all will have our posts deleted. Monday should be epic or epic scary.
I don't know who that is. No one I know, knows who that is.

Saying "yer automatically a right-wing extremist if you go on that show" does not look very intelligent when consider that Glenn Greenwald is on the show frequently

Looking at many things Greenwald has said in recent years I don't think that's nearly as good a counter-argument as you seem to think it is.

But also this continues being pretty off topic here.... once again a link to the garbage hole such discussion always leads down:

Very disappointing. Elon going further and further down the rabbit hole of the extreme right-wing it seems. I'm always amazed when otherwise brilliant, compassionate, and successful people are taken in by and subscribe to this world view. Does this all go back to the Fremont COVID shut-down drama or Biden’s refusal to recognize Tesla’s leading role in the EV transition? Whatever brought on this change in Elon it seems recent (last couple years). I’m guessing he always had libertarian tendencies, but it's frankly taken an ugly turn as of late. I’ve been an investor and holdler since 2013. I wouldn’t divest simply because I disagree with Elon’s political views, but some of what he putting out there has me questioning his judgement and ability to rationalize. Brillance is not an inoculation against propaganda and indoctrination unfortunately.

What specific views of Elon's do you not like?