Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How hot does the Cybertruck get inside? My white Model 3 sitting in the California desert sun for a few hours could get hot enough to fry an egg on if I didn't turn on climate control. Not sure if Tesla engineered a solution for this.
The difference is the rate of heat transfer and ability to react. When you open up a car that’s hot inside, it’s not an immediate danger. If you touch a hypothetically dangerously hot Cybertruck skin, burn injuries could occur in less than a second of contact. If Cybertruck doesn’t have enough passive heat dissipation to ensure safety then I believe Tesla will design a workaround.

I’m confident that Tesla has considered how hot the Cybertruck will get when sitting in the sun and has engineered a solution if needed. Tesla is also extremely safety-oriented and surely has not made a design that will burn someone’s skin if touched after sitting in the Giga Texas parking lot all day in the summer. Discussing it seems like a moot point.

Also there are many fundamental differences between Cybertruck and the Delorean. One is a gas car from the 1980s and the other is a 2020s “insane technology bandwagon” that has a giant battery, a bunch of sensors and microcontrollers, and the world’s most advanced thermal management system in any vehicle ever made to date.
I thought the stated solution to this was that the CT doors would just open when you came near them - no touch required.
Curious if that feature got dropped and we are back to the "drudgery" of pressing a handle again.

I saw someone posted this on an anti-Tesla/EV group on FB and thought it was pretty funny. Engineered Explained once said that if we were all transitioning from EVs to ICE, people would burn the city down in protest.

"Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions?
🤔

1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for refuelling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often? The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it. What is this? How much will this service oil change cost and how often – and what happens to the old oil. Also apparently these petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone – so the brakes wear out much faster – how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 100k kilometres

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 8 times as much. Is this true?

6. Is it true that petrol is flammable?

7. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil, is that true?

9. I have heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens? Is that true?

10. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them – so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy.

11. is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank

12. what is the drop in range in cold weather, I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter – just curious on that one.

13. a friend told me that the exhausts wear out – is that true, and people steal them for the rare material used in them?

14. I was also told – that the exhaust gas isn’t good for you – and if you leave the car running in a confined space – like a garage – you will die – surely that isn’t true is it?

15. next door told me – these petrol cars – carry around 40 to 60 litres of highly flammable liquid which is pumped into a steel cylinder, and it’s then exploded to generate expanding gas to move a piston, and turn linear motion into rotary motion.
Why would anyone want thousands of explosions happening within a few feet of where your sitting.

16. a guy at work told me – he has a petrol car, and it leaks oil. When he parks it – surely that’s not right is it – leaving dirty marks on the floor and contaminating the environment so directly. How long before this happens if I change.

17. my dad told me – if you buy a diesel car – the hand pump smells very bad, and you have to wear special gloves to stop your hand smelling, and if you spill it on your clothes it terrible.

18. is it true – the petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere (hotels/Car parks/Home/Work)?

19. while technology is advancing, will I ever be able to refuel my internal combustion car for free using only the sun ?

20. would I be better off going straight to horse and cart, and not buying a horseless carriage – they sound pretty awful, burning dinosaur juice and polluting the environment whilst funding conflict and war and consuming raw material at an unbelievably high rate.

Thank you for sharing. I sometimes do this reverse chronological order logic exercise to see to what extent I am subject to status quo bias.

This particular one reminds me how much people are giving up: safety, quietness, clean air, convenience, etc. just for range.

It's time for Tesla to buy a better ESG rating. We're all in this together.

Wow, it really is a scam. I bought into it and put my IRA into ESG initially before all the notices about it being a scam, glad it's out of there now.

The difference is the rate of heat transfer and ability to react. When you open up a car that’s hot inside, it’s not an immediate danger. If you touch a hypothetically dangerously hot Cybertruck skin, burn injuries could occur in less than a second of contact. If Cybertruck doesn’t have enough passive heat dissipation to ensure safety then I believe Tesla will design a workaround.

Is this that dangerous? I don't think I was ever concerned about my car doors burning the skin of my fingers, no matter how hot the inside of the car became.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/with_replies
Worth watching all 17 mins - Omar selling Tesla FSD to a Scottish couple.
If not, maybe up to first 5 mins and last minute.

If you believe that Robotaxis (or just level 4) will come pre ~2026 - you are a super bull. If not, I dare you to watch the video and contemplate the improvement over the past year alone.

BTW, never knew you could share your destination straight from Google Maps... duh.

I thought the stated solution to this was that the CT doors would just open when you came near them - no touch required.
Curious if that feature got dropped and we are back to the "drudgery" of pressing a handle again.
That would help but design needs to accommodate all cases including accidental contact. Toddlers, inadvertent leaning, tripping into the wall, etc.

Is this that dangerous? I don't think I was ever concerned about my car doors burning the skin of my fingers, no matter how hot the inside of the car became.
That I don’t know, and stainless steel has low thermal conductivity compared to other metals anyway. I’m just addressing the concern about the exterior possibly getting too hot. Either it isn’t a problem in the first place or Tesla designed a workaround.

Not all ESG funds are equal. I own some ESGV, which is a Vanguard fund that seeks to track the performance of the FTSE US All Cap Choice Index. Here are it's top 8 holdings:

Screenshot_20230327_162518_Chrome.jpg

Speaking of those crazy sardine eating Norwegians, Musk rival Open AI just funded Norway's 1X which is making a humanoid bot designated NEO. Perhaps Optimus is not as crazy as it may sound to some of us. Impossible to value this Tesla product but it DOES position Tesla as not just a super efficient auto maker, hopefully in the minds of institutional stock buyers and the investing public.

Can someone confirm the following:

1) Banks are not going to collapse and commercial real estate won't collapse causing a major recession
and/or
2) Tesla & TSLA is too robust to care
1 banks will get more bailouts from money created from nothing. Inflation is a problem to be pushed upon the poor. (I don't agree with this sentiment; it is how I see govt behave) I think much of the push to return to commuting to an office is to generate more sales of gasoline, work clothes, and eating out for lunch, and help keep commercial real estate from collapsing.

2. I can't think of a safer place to put money. Tsla may be impacted but what else is safer?

Last edited:
We know Tesla has spent a lot of time thinking about cabin heat, glass, noise, etc. They’ve made videos about much of this stuff. We also know they just released a new version of the roof glass for the Model S which blocks heat but let’s in more light.

Aside from this, no we don’t know specifically with the Cybertruck what it’s like on a hot day. They have spent a bunch of time testing it in the hot California sun so, if there is a heat issue it’s almost certain that they know about it and very likely have done something to mitigate it.

I know it’s tempting for people to think they are more clever than Tesla engineers, but I think it’s safe to assume they are competent at their jobs until proven otherwise.
Is there any evidence that bare SS would be hotter than black paint? My experience tells me black would be the hottest surface and black cars are commonplace. This subject should die...

EDIT: @Nocturnal makes the same point...

The "Elon Musk and Twitter" thread - Oh boy what a cesspool it is. I was drawn in because @Gigapress made a valiant attempt to showcase Elon's Twitter infatuation had no impact on sales in 2022 and also predicting most likely in 2023 too. He did it with a ton of facts and numbers and articulating with clear logic & reasoning. NONE of that made even a tiny dent with that crowd.

Even our veteran ohmman got sucked in it. Perhaps explains why we don't see him much here. Sad.

OT: Some light humor on the Bank bailout:

From an FB Post :--
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
👇
Mary is the proprietor of a bar. She realizes that virtually all of her customers are unemployed alcoholics and, as such, can no longer afford to patronise her bar

To solve this problem, she comes up with a new marketing plan that allows her customers to drink now, but pay later. She keeps track of the drinks consumed on a ledger (thereby granting the customers loans) ��

Word gets around about Mary's "drink now, pay later" marketing strategy and, as a result, increasing numbers of customers flood into Mary's bar. Soon she has the largest sales volume for any bar in the area. ��By providing her customers' freedom from immediate payment demands, Mary gets no resistance when, at regular intervals, she substantially increases her prices for wine and beer, the most consumed beverages. Consequently, Mary's gross sales volume increases massively �

A young and dynamic vice-president at the local bank recognises that these customer debts constitute valuable future assets and increases Mary's borrowing limit. He sees no reason for any undue concern, since he has the debts of the unemployed alcoholics as collateral��

At the bank's corporate headquarters, expert traders figure a way to make huge commissions, and transform these customer loans into DRINKBONDS, ALKIBONDS and PUKEBONDS. These securities are then bundled and traded on international security markets. Naive investors don't really understand that the securities being sold to them as AAA secured bonds are really the debts of unemployed alcoholics. Nevertheless, the bond prices continuously climb, and the securities soon become the hottest-selling items for some of the nation's leading brokerage houses ��

One day, even though the bond prices are still climbing, a risk manager at the original local bank decides that the time has come to demand payment on the debts incurred by the drinkers at Mary's bar. He so informs Mary

Mary then demands payment from her alcoholic patrons, but being unemployed alcoholics they cannot pay back their drinking debts.Since, Mary cannot fulfil her loan obligations she is forced into bankruptcy. The bar closes and the eleven employees lose their jobs ��

Overnight, DRINKBONDS, ALKIBONDS and PUKEBONDS drop in price by 90%. The collapsed bond asset value destroys the banks liquidity and prevents it from issuing new loans, thus freezing credit and economic activity in the community

The suppliers of Mary's bar had granted her generous payment extensions and had invested their firms' pension funds in the various BOND securities. They find they are now faced with having to write off her bad debt and with losing over 90% of the presumed value of the bonds ��

Her wine supplier also claims bankruptcy, closing the doors on a family business that had endured for three generations, her beer supplier is taken over by a competitor, who immediately closes the local plant and lays off 150 workers

Fortunately though, the bank, the brokerage houses and their respective executives are saved and bailed out by a multi-billion no-strings attached cash infusion from their cronies in Government. The funds required for this bailout are obtained by new taxes levied on employed, middle-class who have never been in Mary's bar.

Now, you know - Economics

For easy understanding

Wow, it really is a scam. I bought into it and put my IRA into ESG initially before all the notices about it being a scam, glad it's out of there now.
One should separate “ESG” from “ESG ratings” much as one would separate “credit worthiness” from “credit rating agencies ratings of credit worthiness” (see S&P/Moodys r.e. TSLA, for example).

Using this framing (link below): ““The basic theory behind ESG investing is that a company’s returns may be impacted by environmental, social, and governance factors in addition to traditional financial factors,” says Michael James Maloney, a partner at Felicello Law, P.C., in New York City.” Who Supports ESG Investing And Who’s Against It (And Why)

I would say that my best investment decisions have had a high personal-ESG-score even when the various ESG rating firms may have disagreed. TSLA being one of those, most especially for the E and to some degree the S.

I saw someone posted this on an anti-Tesla/EV group on FB and thought it was pretty funny. Engineered Explained once said that if we were all transitioning from EVs to ICE, people would burn the city down in protest.

"Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions?
🤔

1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for refuelling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often? The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it. What is this? How much will this service oil change cost and how often – and what happens to the old oil. Also apparently these petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone – so the brakes wear out much faster – how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 100k kilometres

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 8 times as much. Is this true?

6. Is it true that petrol is flammable?

7. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil, is that true?

9. I have heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens? Is that true?

10. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them – so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy.

11. is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank

12. what is the drop in range in cold weather, I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter – just curious on that one.

13. a friend told me that the exhausts wear out – is that true, and people steal them for the rare material used in them?

14. I was also told – that the exhaust gas isn’t good for you – and if you leave the car running in a confined space – like a garage – you will die – surely that isn’t true is it?

15. next door told me – these petrol cars – carry around 40 to 60 litres of highly flammable liquid which is pumped into a steel cylinder, and it’s then exploded to generate expanding gas to move a piston, and turn linear motion into rotary motion.
Why would anyone want thousands of explosions happening within a few feet of where your sitting.

16. a guy at work told me – he has a petrol car, and it leaks oil. When he parks it – surely that’s not right is it – leaving dirty marks on the floor and contaminating the environment so directly. How long before this happens if I change.

17. my dad told me – if you buy a diesel car – the hand pump smells very bad, and you have to wear special gloves to stop your hand smelling, and if you spill it on your clothes it terrible.

18. is it true – the petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere (hotels/Car parks/Home/Work)?

19. while technology is advancing, will I ever be able to refuel my internal combustion car for free using only the sun ?

20. would I be better off going straight to horse and cart, and not buying a horseless carriage – they sound pretty awful, burning dinosaur juice and polluting the environment whilst funding conflict and war and consuming raw material at an unbelievably high rate.

I’m on a ski trip with my sons and soon after we get into the rental ICE, he says after a little while, “why isn’t there hot air coming out of the vents.” I had to explain to him that ICE vehicles have no actual air heater, they have to wait for the engine itself to get boiling hot before a heat exchange can work properly.

So add that to the list plus, “is it true that there are laws prohibiting leaving your gas car idling? If so, how can you turn on the heat or AC remotely before getting in, or leaving the AC on while making a quick stop with or without pets on board? Can’t pets die in non AC cars?”