Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Killers......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Killers are here now. I actually went on a test drive of the etron. I give the interior was 7/10. Hard plastic abound. Infotainment 6/10. It looks nice..but definitely no Tesla killer with 200 mile range and a 95Kw battery. It looked a lot like my under $15k VW eGolf. Many things from the door handles, to the switches are exactly the same...except the Etron is going for $87k. The car has been out for a month and already recalled due to batteries catching on fire.

Audi and Jaguar are recalling their Tesla rivals after realizing their batteries were at risk of catching fire

So much for Tesla Killers....

I don't believe any batteries actually caught fire.

I believe Audi simply discovered the possibility that it could happen, and proactively dealt with it.

The article itself is incorrect about Jaguar in the headline. With Jaguar the recall wasn't about fire at all, but a problem with it's braking system.

I think we should be careful with facts because ultimately there is NO TESLA KILLER. Any competition for Tesla actually helps Tesla because it helps solidify EV's as viable alternatives, and even preferred alternatives to ICE vehicles.

Bad news about one EV actually brings all the EV's down because people will lump them all in.

Last edited:
The Tesla Killers are here now.

The Tesla Killers killed off Model X and Model S sales quite well in Europe. Both aren't even top 20 anymore.

EUR.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
The Tesla Killers are here now. I actually went on a test drive of the etron. I give the interior was 7/10. Hard plastic abound. Infotainment 6/10. It looks nice..but definitely no Tesla killer with 200 mile range and a 95Kw battery. It looked a lot like my under $15k VW eGolf. Many things from the door handles, to the switches are exactly the same...except the Etron is going for $87k. The car has been out for a month and already recalled due to batteries catching on fire.

Audi and Jaguar are recalling their Tesla rivals after realizing their batteries were at risk of catching fire

Audi stated clearly that not a single incident of any battery pack catching fire has been reported. So it is safe to conclude that it hasn't happened.

As for the rest, I think it should be read in light of knowing that you claim it was "recalled due to batteries catching on fire". Most of the rest of the world seems to agree that it has a great interior, is super quiet, charges very quickly to over 90%, and is generally pretty great - although expensive.

Model 3 would probably beat it in a 1500 km race, where charging speed (in mph/kph, not kW) matters the most. But normal people don't really care about such things, and nor should they. They care about being able to go on occasional long trips without any extra major inconvenience compared to if they went in a fossil car, and both Tesla and Audi provides that capability in much of Europe, although Tesla has a charging network edge at the moment. Thanks to Tesla switching to CCS in Europe that advantage won't disappear as long as Tesla still has their own network, but it will diminish fast as high-powered chargers are rolled out, mainly by Ionity.

The Tesla Killers killed off Model X and Model S sales quite well in Europe. Both aren't even top 20 anymore.

View attachment 417954
I think Model 3 is what killed them off, not the "Tesla killers". Model S and X are simply too large for most people's taste in Europe. And there are not as many people as in the US willing to spend that kind of money on their wheels.

Personally, I think Model 3 is a better car anyway. If I could be gifted one Tesla, but had to live with it and couldn't sell it, I would choose the 3 over both S and X. Perhaps even over the Y, had that been one of the options. Why no Y, you say? Because I don't need the extra space, and having it makes the car less efficient. They say 10%, but that's combined cycle. The only time I'll ever have any use for the full range and more is on long road trips, and that in practice means motorways and high speeds - and at least 20% advantage to Model 3, not just in range on a charge, but also in charging speed, since they'll charge at the same kW rate. That's worth something, but having space I don't need isn't.

I think Model 3 is what killed them off, not the "Tesla killers". Model S and X are simply too large for most people's taste in Europe. And there are not as many people as in the US willing to spend that kind of money on their wheels.

As they are selling quite a few of their 80,000€+ "Tesla Killers", 1229 Jaguar and 953 Audi in April, it is quite obvious that those customers don't buy Model S and Model X anytime soon and is badly hitting Tesla sales of their 80,000€+ models.

There are tons of BMW, Audi, Mercedes,.... in the 60,000€+ range driving in Europe. Most of them are ICE cars though.

One Tesla killer that hasn't caught on as much...probably because it is not been advertised...is the VW eGolf. With rebates, and VW subsidies..it is a $10-$12k car with 125+ miles of range. Build quality is really good...all made in Germany. I would say it has better build quality than my MS 90d.IT comes with a Drivers assistance package with radar cruise control, blind side monitoring and a bunch of other decent features. It now has DC fast charging and an 7.2Kw on board charger.

It is not a tesla, but tremendous value for $10-$12k...less than half the cost of a base M3 ( after rebates) and half the range.

Now VW losses money on each one of these..Im pretty sure as they discount them $10k off of MSRP + $10-12k in rebates. The styling is decent, and it doesnt look like a leaf.

One Tesla killer that hasn't caught on as much...probably because it is not been advertised...is the VW eGolf. With rebates, and VW subsidies..it is a $10-$12k car with 125+ miles of range. Build quality is really good...all made in Germany. I would say it has better build quality than my MS 90d.IT comes with a Drivers assistance package with radar cruise control, blind side monitoring and a bunch of other decent features. It now has DC fast charging and an 7.2Kw on board charger.

It is not a tesla, but tremendous value for $10-$12k...less than half the cost of a base M3 ( after rebates) and half the range.

Now VW losses money on each one of these..Im pretty sure as they discount them $10k off of MSRP + $10-12k in rebates. The styling is decent, and it doesnt look like a leaf.
Apparently you don't know what "Tesla Killer" means.

Reactions: tranzndance
Apparently you don't know what "Tesla Killer" means.
Let the Fanboys commence the attacks...LoL

Having had several EVs, killer, can be viewed in different perspectives. Price/value, innovation, buying experience, usability, durability...etc I see different strengths by the various EV offerings..and can think for myself enough to not just drink the kool-aid. Don't get me wrong I love driving my Model S, its fast, handles amazingly...the eGolf is a great value for the price.

I drove the new eTron as well..it's a good car, it feels amzing sitting in the driver's seat, but range may be an issue for the price they are asking.

Last edited:
Let the Fanboys commence the attacks...LoL

Having had several EVs, killer, can be viewed in different perspectives. Price/value, innovation, buying experience, usability, durability...etc I see different strengths by the various EV offerings..and can think for myself enough to not just drink the kool-aid. Don't get me wrong I love driving my Model S, its fast, handles amazingly...the eGolf is a great value for the price.

I drove the new eTron as well..it's a good car, it feels amzing sitting in the driver's seat, but range may be an issue for the price they are asking.
"Tesla Killer" is the hypothetical, never seems to have come to fruition, mainstream auto maker car which will be so good, it'll be in such demand, that it'll "kill" Tesla.

"Fanboi" <rolls eyes> you haven't been reading my critiques of Tesla.