Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Turbo S out-drags vanilla P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have said, not entirely fair comparison - should have used a Raven performance vs the turbo S (top spec vs top spec). On the other hand, when you watch the full video you see there was some criticism of the Taycan (not charging at the advertised 270 kW - but mainly because of charging from 50% or so), which tells me they were relatively objective in their assesment. I am not surprised by the handling being better in the Taycan - given it is a Porsche.

There is a lot of talk on this forum about the disappointing specs of the Taycan - especially on the range and price side. The way I look at it, is that the Taycan 4S has specs very similar to my previous P85D (expect around 250 miles EPA range vs 253 for the P85D; slower at 3.8 vs 3.5 s - as advertised at that time by Tesla before the ludicrous update; not that different cost - I paid 124k for the P85D, the 4S configured the way I want it is 128k). So Taycan is on paper similar to my Tesla of 2014. What is has going for it is a very refined interior with excellent fit and finish, something that I miss in all Tesla's I owned.

The dealer I talked with said the reservations at their center jumped from 50 before to 100 immediately after the reveal - so while the numbers seem disappointing in the Tesla world, in the Porsche world there are a lot of fans of the car. Also a lot of the reservation holders have owned Tesla's.

The great news is that you now can choose between an outstanding family car with blistering acceleration and long range but somewhat poorly appointed (model s Raven performance for ~114k) or pay ~15 k extra for a very refined car, but with significant slower acceleration (but still very fast) and shorter range (the Taycan 4S for ~128k). The supercharger network is an important advantage, but after 5 years with 3 Tesla's I realize that 1) I don't do a lot of road trips, and as such I used the superchargers maybe 20 times in total and 2) just like superchargers, non-Tesla fast chargers are rapidly growing so they will be available. In a pinch, you can stop at a Porsche dealer - most of them will have the fast 800V charging installed.

Reactions: Sean Wagner
The video is very edited. The cars are in different lanes than when they started where they show the photo-finish.

I'd like to see the race from start to finish with no editing.

The truth will come-out once more of these races happen. If the truth is that the Taycan is faster than the legacy P100D, that's great. I doubt it will be faster than the Raven Model S and definitely not faster than the Plaid.

I guess I am the only one that feels it is a Tesla Promo add. Really a Porsche cant smoke a family car from an almost start up car company???

For goodness sakes it is a Porsche - Endurance racing, LeMans, F1 - a company whose whole purpose is fast cars.

A bet a Raven in the dry would beat that Porsche racing heritage...

A bet a Raven in the dry would beat that Porsche racing heritage...
0-60 maybe, after 35 minutes wait for battery heathing. ;) Everything else, no.

max-battery.jpg

Last edited:
I just love how a multi-billion Dollar company that has burned billions in cash over years is being talked down as a "startup" whenever things don't work perfectly.

In the automotive world they are in my opinion a startup. The Cayenne has been in production before the first Tesla.

I would buy my performance X over a Porsche any day...actually I bought 3 (2X and 1S). My Porsche experience has been awful. Transmission problem in Panamerica - GT2 ignition problems - a 911 oil leak.