Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger 250kwh vs 150kwh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I charge at 250kwh Supercharger, the maximum that I reach is about 90kwh, usually average 75. I am not parked immediately next to anyone but there are other people in the lot. Is this normal? And if there is a 150kwh option in the same lot, will that be a better option where I can get close to the maximum? It just seems strange to me that I can’t reach triple digits for 250khw. Thank you.

In order to get near 250 kW of power in a charging session, you need:
* A car/battery that can support those charging speeds
* A very low state of charge on the battery
* A very warm battery (navigate to the SC site and it will pre-condition, but this takes awhile and doesn't happen in 5 or 10 minutes)

Even with all of this, if you can achieve the higher power level when charging, it will taper off in a few minutes to avoid overheating the battery...

Reactions: Calliope
Just seconding @Mulkogi . Say you show up at a Supercharger with 20 miles left. You'll get the rated supercharger power, 150 kW or 250 kW. At about 30% State of Charge, this will start going down, more or less linearly. At 80% State of Charge, it'll be at 30 or 40 kW; at 95%, you'll be at one or three kW.

This is why, when you're on a long trip somewhere, the NAV will have you going into a Supercharger near empty, so you get the max rate of charge. In fact, under the right circumstances, the car might have you leave a Supercharger with only, say, 50% state of charge, the idea being to minimize your travel time.

By the by: Minor pendant issue. The battery stores energy like a bucket stores water. "Units" for energy are in Joules (the SI unit), kW-hr's, which are 3.6 MJ per kW-hr, and tons of other measures, like electron-volts and such.

Watts, however, are a rate, like gallons per minute. In fact, the use of 1 Joule per Second is defined as a watt, where 1W = 1 J/s. That 100W incandescent light bulb over your head? Yep, it's using 100 Joules per second. If you use one kW of power for one hour, that's an energy use of 1 kW-hr.

A Supercharger that's rated for 250 kW provides 250 kJ/second, filling up the 78 kW-hr battery. You get the idea.

When I charge at 250kwh Supercharger, the maximum that I reach is about 90kwh, usually average 75. I am not parked immediately next to anyone but there are other people in the lot. Is this normal? And if there is a 150kwh option in the same lot, will that be a better option where I can get close to the maximum? It just seems strange to me that I can’t reach triple digits for 250khw. Thank you.

What vehicle do you have?

What is the state of charge (percentage remaining) of your battery when you arrive?

Are you charging during a trip or are you using a Supercharger for your regular charging? Do you use the car's navigation to get to the Supercharger or do you know the way?

PS kW is power, kWh is capacity. The Superchargers rated for power. 250kW max for Version 3 and 150kW max for Version 2.

Reactions: gsmith123
So would the stalls make a different?
Just to make this perfectly clear.

On 250 KW chargers every single position will have its own 250 KW capable charge unit, if you pull into a charge location with 16 chargers and plug in, you will be able to get 250 KW, regardless of all other vehicles.

On 150 KW chargers, 2 positions will share one 150 KW charger, this means that if you occupy 1A and there is no car at 1B you will get 150 KW, but if you have 1A and someone is at 1B, you will get minimum 75KW, but if the other car is only able to take 50KW, you will get 100KW.

So if a 150KW charger location with 16 chargers have 7 or less cars charging you should be able to plug in and get 150KW, offcourse dependent on if the other drivers there know about the 1A/1B rule.

I once pulled into a 150KW charger site with 16 chargers and only 3 occupied, i easily found one where the partner charger was not in use, 5 minutes later someone in a polestar pulled in and parked at the partner charger to mine, i hopped out and told him that if he used that one he would only get 75. He was totally unaware of this and thanked me for "educating him" he moved his car one stall over and we both charged at "full speed".

V4 chargers as far as i have read is offcouse also made so that every position has its own charger that can source the full rated wattage.

Subject to total site power and total max charging rate of the other vehicles.
Offcourse, but the chargers will always have the ability, if there is enough copper in the ground to support them. :)

I would imagine this mainly being a problem if they convert an old 150KW site to a newer 250KW site and the copper was sized to fit the old site.

From what i have seen in terms of different new fast charger sites (Not Tesla) recently, it seems the operators size their cables pretty liberally, i have seen sites with only 6 chargers fitted, where the cable dimensions would allow for atleast 16 if not more chargers.

I can fully understand the logic behind this, when they trench a cable a few hundred meters the added price of a thicker cable is probably a very small fraction of the total cost of everything so they "futureproof" their sites as much as possible.