Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stick on vinyl number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do people go for “TESLA” reg’s anyway? We all know it’s a Tesla - it says so right above the plate on some models.

I’d go for IDI07 MSK if it was possible.
I made that mistake with a VW years ago, sold it with the car as the new car wasn't a VW... I've now had the same plate (which is a variance of my surname) for the last 8 years.

I now actually prefer it as its a bit more personal than a brand/car on your numberplate.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Be fine on a Tesla once your put the M badge on the back ;) Shame there's no front grill to put the 3 colour stripes on.
Never underestimate a Tesla owner

1715424690762.png

I’m looking at getting some vinyl plates for my M3 I’m collecting in a few days time and have a quick question…

Are the green stripes actually being used by any local authorities to offer discounts to EV drivers, or was it a failed government project?

I’d rather not have it, if it’s not actually going to be of benefit.

I’m looking at getting some vinyl plates for my M3 I’m collecting in a few days time and have a quick question…

Are the green stripes actually being used by any local authorities to offer discounts to EV drivers, or was it a failed government project?

I’d rather not have it, if it’s not actually going to be of benefit.
There was never any gov plan other than raise awareness of EVs. I've read about cheap parking or free entry into clean air zones, not seen any examples but I'll be happy to dispute that if they send me a ticket and I'd be surprised if the system relies on the green flash because people could easily game it. A database check of numberplate/emission type is simpler and more reliable.
You can also have fun explaining that you have the petrol Tesla :p .

There was never any gov plan other than raise awareness of EVs. I've read about cheap parking or free entry into clean air zones, not seen any examples but I'll be happy to dispute that if they send me a ticket and I'd be surprised if the system relies on the green flash because people could easily game it. A database check of numberplate/emission type is simpler and more reliable.
You can also have fun explaining that you have the petrol Tesla :p .
Ah fair enough. I thought I read about local authorities using it that might not be equipped for ANPR and whatnot. I think I’ll probably forgo the stripe in that case.

How easy was debadging? I’m considering the same as I’m not overly keen on the spelt out T E S L A on the 2024 M3. If it was black I’d probably leave it, but as it’s chrome, I might remove all the badges.
Worst worst case if it becomes law just buy a small green sticker? It was only introduced in 2020 anyway.

All of my debadging was easy, assuming it's the same sticky foam backing it's just dental floss or fishing wire and a bit of heat from a hair dryer. Don't burn the paint, be cautious.
I recommend wearing gloves to protect your fingers when you're wrapping and pulling the thread. Use a sawing motion. Don't pull the logos away from the car, let them fall off.

Don't worry if you leave loads of gunk on the car, it comes off with a solvent remover or panel wipe stuff easily. Do not use a hard edge to remove gunk, just a cloth and solution.

I'm so pleased to be rid of both logos and dual motor writing, a pain to clean around and would catch all of my cloths.

You could also get those TESLA letters in black pieces, or just some flat vinyl stickers, or nothing. Up to you 😎.

Attachments

• signal-2024-03-21-08-58-44-239.jpg
    signal-2024-03-21-08-58-44-239.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1
  • signal-2024-03-21-08-58-44-239-1.jpg
    signal-2024-03-21-08-58-44-239-1.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Aliomenti and goRt