Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you!

I love the language: “Navigational hazards from rocket launching activity may include… descending vehicles or vehicle components, under various means of control.”

Or a complete lack of control. :rolleyes:

It’s hard to believe the FAA can move so quickly and approve the next flight right after SpaceX submitted their report.
I mean... gravity and the prevailing winds would be sources of control, right? ;)

Given the FTS issue was kind of significant, and SpaceX just recently submitted the mishap report, I wonder if 2 weeks from now is sufficient time for the FAA to evaluate the revised plan?

Seeing as how SpaceX has filed the Mariner's notice data with the Coast Guard, I guess they think so.

If so, that seems impressive for a gov't agency.

Given the FTS issue was kind of significant, and SpaceX just recently submitted the mishap report, I wonder if 2 weeks from now is sufficient time for the FAA to evaluate the revised plan?

Seeing as how SpaceX has filed the Mariner's notice data with the Coast Guard, I guess they think so.

If so, that seems impressive for a gov't agency.
Any reason to think SpaceX hasn’t been in communication with the FAA on their progress since OFT-1?

Plan needed to adress the issues, and it does:
Bigger FTS, with test data
Bigger deluge system and steel plate, with test data
Newer engines with better shielding, better venting, and more redundant electric TVC (may be out of scope)

Reactions: JB47394
Any reason to think SpaceX hasn’t been in communication with the FAA on their progress since OFT-1?

Nothing specific, I just don't know how collaborative these sorts of things are. My experience with Gov't entities ( I worked or one for 20 yrs), is that they tend to wait until the submission of any/all required docs and only then start their (often glacial) processes...

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Nothing specific, I just don't know how collaborative these sorts of things are. My experience with Gov't entities ( I worked or one for 20 yrs), is that they tend to wait until the submission of any/all required socs and only then start their (often glacial) processes...
Definitely depends on the people involved. Elon's past posts have seemed to indicate a good (though lagging regulation wise) environment.

Reactions: scaesare
Nothing specific, I just don't know how collaborative these sorts of things are. My experience with Gov't entities ( I worked or one for 20 yrs), is that they tend to wait until the submission of any/all required docs and only then start their (often glacial) processes...
SpaceX is a prominent NASA contractor, and is responsible for the creation of a rapidly-reusable super heavy lift rocket. That's a strategic asset for the United States. You can believe that they go to the front of every government line when they need something. So if the only thing standing in the way of SpaceX is a government employee enforcing rules, you can believe that things will move along quickly.

It is when citizens would get upset that things get serious. The environmental groups seem to be more of a nuisance than anything else. I doubt the population at large is going to be incensed by SpaceX damaging some nesting sites. But compare that with SpaceX getting their hands on Boca Chica Village or the parcels of land inside Starbase. SpaceX can't just walk over those people and claim that land. Texans take that sort of thing very seriously. If word got out, a whole mess of cowboys would mobilize. Politicians would take note. Regulators could no longer play fast and loose.

SpaceX will be fine so long as they don't blow up Corpus Christi or some such disastrous thing. Regulators can only be accommodating so long as SpaceX doesn't make any big mistakes that impact the people of the country. It's a shame that the land there was ever of interest to anyone.

Eric Berger: SpaceX completes successful hot fire test of its massive Starship rocket

Regarding the static fire,
If additional data reviews verify this performance, it appears likely that SpaceX has completed the last major hardware test needed before a second flight of the Starship launch system.
I’m expecting SpaceX to figure out why those two engines shutdown early, fix them, and do another static fire before ITF-2. They’ve got the time to resolve the issue, so why not do it?

SpaceX has not set a public launch target yet for Starship, and sources indicated it has not yet received any clear indications from the Federal Aviation Administration about when a launch license might be forthcoming. However, it seems reasonable to conclude that the second Starship launch could take place as soon as two or three weeks from now. Further delays are always possible and, indeed, probable.

They’ve got the time to resolve the issue, so why not do it?
Because doing risky things may be an essential part of their culture. It's the adrenaline that keeps them sharp. It may be that if they dot all the i's and cross all the t's, they'll end up like the rest of the aerospace industry, spending inordinate amounts of time and money doing almost nothing but dotting i's and crossing t's. It becomes cultural.

SpaceX has time to look at the problem, but they may already know that the fix isn't a change they can make to Booster 9. So it goes as it is. They may even know the problem and have implemented changes in later boosters to address it. Who knows?

Alternately, this is a fundamental problem that could affect all engines and they'll ground the entire project for a year while they sort it out. As with all things like this, we'll just have to wait and see. Only SpaceX has the data and the expertise to know how to move forward.

From the most recent Starbase video by NSF, lots of indications SpaceX is getting ready for ITF-2.

IMG_0125.jpeg
IMG_0128.jpeg
IMG_0127.jpeg
IMG_0126.jpeg

Currently there are several SpaceX personnel working at the Ship QD. Perhaps they are just ensuring that everything is okay before making the connections, since with the addition of the hot staging ring making the booster taller the QD arm was raised higher.
Yeah, this it the first time this combination has been tried. I imagine some alignment would be needed.