Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to make a big deal or provoke Bruce but my car slowed for a deer on a windy local road on a much earlier fw (a year ago). Can't remember which. I was on AS 32mph. Car slowed to 18mph before I braked and took over as deer have a tendency to travel in groups that jump from the ditches. Car didn't stop but it might've. Nothing displayed on IC, not even a car image. Seen about 5 other deer and car didn't do anything. Also car doesn't stop for pedestrians as far as I can tell.

Just asking the stupid question here but ... You have selected No in the "Require Lane Confirmation" option, right?

This type of questions have proven really useful when debugging stuff :)

No, given it’s alpha software at best I’d prefer to confirm it’s intent before it does it until I trust it, I’m not debugging with my life, you can choose to do so when you get it.

Last edited:
No, give it’s alpha software at best I’d prefer to confirm it’s intent before it does it until I trust it, I’m not debugging with my life, you can choose to do so when you get it.
That’s totally reasonable. Especially since your recording rig is effectively distracted driving.... I would argue old school Autosteer is reasonably safe to supervise on the highway while recording. But fully automatic lane changes requires so much supervising that you can’t really record with your hands while double checking lane changes as well as dealing with a high likelihood of needing to take back control.

Most of the interesting stuff happens around highway exits. You know... where gore points and other not-so-pleasant things are....

No, give it’s alpha software at best I’d prefer to confirm it’s intent before it does it until I trust it, I’m not debugging with my life, you can choose to do so when you get it.

Fair thing, I was just asking because you said "but not much to see it didn’t take any actions for me" my assumption is without that option on it would only suggest actions, right?

Anyway, thanks for recording these videos!

Fair thing, I was just asking because you said "but not much to see it didn’t take any actions for me" my assumption is without that option on it would only suggest actions, right?

Anyway, thanks for recording these videos!

It’s suppose to turn on the blinker to request a lane change and then you confirm it with the stalk, at least that’s what the release notes say...

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
It’s suppose to turn on the blinker to request a lane change and then you confirm it with the stalk, at least that’s what the release notes say...

Interesting, from the release notes and denis pictures I was assuming that it would show gray lines and then by using the stalk it would initiate it, it would be pretty annoying if it starts to turn on the blinker in cases that you don't want to change lanes ...

It does not matter. FSD or not the driver needs to pay attention at all times. Any use of electronic device means you are not.

If you want to use your hand held device while in the car you will need to do what the rich Chinese do; sit in the back and hire a chauffeur.

But the whole point of level 3 and higher autonomy is that the driver is not expected to pay attention or control the car at all times.

Yet the laws, at least where I live, as they are written currently do not recognize "level 3" or any level for that matter. There is no "Tesla exception" or any exception for any artificial intelligence period.

Disagree all you want people, I am not saying I agree with it, I am just reciting the law (again, in my province at least)

You use an electronic device in this province you will get a very expensive distracted driving ticket. Argue or disagree all you want with the cop, it is not going to matter.

Motor Vehicle Act

And by the way, the nag is horrible :(
Ya! my hand is on the steering wheel all the time and I got nagged if I don't deliberate squeeze the wheel from time to time. Or, if I hold the steering wheel a little firm, I may get "kick-out" of the autopilot mode. Tesla's autopilot nagging feature should do a better job to letting the driver holding their steering wheel the way they wanted. This "safety feature" reminded me of the "master-slave-processors" architecture where the "slave" (us the driver) requires reporting to the "master" (the AI processor) every few seconds in order not to get knocked down. C'mon Tesla, treat your loyal customer with some dignity would you?

Ya! my hand is on the steering wheel all the time and I got nagged if I don't deliberate squeeze the wheel from time to time. Or, if I hold the steering wheel a little firm, I may get "kick-out" of the autopilot mode. Tesla's autopilot nagging feature should do a better job to letting the driver holding their steering wheel the way they wanted. This "safety feature" reminded me of the "master-slave-processors" architecture where the "slave" (us the driver) requires reporting to the "master" (the AI processor) every few seconds in order not to get knocked down. C'mon Tesla, treat your loyal customer with some dignity would you?

So using/clicking some of the steering wheel buttons or using the turn signal is not removing the nag anymore?

That's your problem - it has nothing to do with 'holding' or 'squeezing' the steering wheel. It doesn't have sensors for that. It is measuring slight resistance against it *turning.*