Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Small steaming wheel icon, upper left side of interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the heck is a "steaming" steering wheel?

Also, why would it matter if you are on AP1, AP2, or AP2.5? Grey steering wheels just means you can engage autopilot (blue indicates that's it actually engaged). Yes, sometimes it fails, but I think that's just because of changing conditions (e.g. all of a sudden there is turn or some faded lines on the road).

What the heck is a "steaming" steering wheel?

Also, why would it matter if you are on AP1, AP2, or AP2.5? Grey steering wheels just means you can engage autopilot (blue indicates that's it actually engaged). Yes, sometimes it fails, but I think that's just because of changing conditions (e.g. all of a sudden there is turn or some faded lines on the road).
My bad, sorry didn’t notice the fu.

If I’m interpreting you correctly are you saying that’s when auto pilot can be engaged?

Yup, when steering wheel shows up, you could start AP if you want. You will notice that when you press on the brake, it will disappear every time. Also when you go across an intersection, it will be gone and come back after you cross it. It won't let you start AutoSteer when it cannot see lines.

Another interesting thing is that after you engaged AutoSteer, when the wheel turned blue, you could actually see the little blue wheel turning mirroring the actual steering wheel's turn. It took me a while to notice it. Totally unnecessary, but pretty cool. :p

• Informative
Reactions: asianxtreme