Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a new Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not really sure where to post this…
I’m wondering if I should get a new car, and if so, which one.

Here’s what I don’t like about my 2012 P85:
1) The CPU is painfully slow. Voice recognition often fails to bother to record what I’m saying. Web browser is essentially worthless. Even things on a USB stick often have playback errors due to the slow CPU.
2) Climate control is deficient. Especially for the fan noise. In the winter I toggle between setting the temp at 83 and “High” while in the summer I set the temp at “Low”. Fan speed of 10 is crazy loud and often doesn’t get the temperature comfortable, and I’m in San Jose, CA, not Green Bay, WI.
3) No more CA carpool lane for me (not a huge deal as I have a “reverse commute”, but since I like to drive over the speed limit, it’s nice to be able to use the left lane).
4) No ACC or Autopilot
5) No parking sensors
6) Several degrees of rear camber wears out the inside edge of my rear tires pretty quickly

If I got a new 3, S, or X, I imagine my above complaints would likely be resolved?
Or does the air flow on the S still make too much noise for its heating/cooling power? What about the 3 or X?

The only real urgency is the $7500 federal tax credit.
Come January, are Teslas simply going to be more expensive, or will Tesla lower the prices to remain competitive?

If I did get a new car, which one should I get for my family of 4 (girls aged 6, 3).
Model X 100D 7pax for $102k?
Model S 75D for $87k?
Model 3 for $49k?

Thanks,
Derek

I am actually looking to buy private party to add another Model S to my stable of electric cars. My must have list:

Blue Metallic Paint
Black headliner
Black leather seats
New front fascia (2016.5)
All Wheel Drive
Air Suspension
Panoramic Moon Roof (the one that opens)

Nice to haves:
Cooled seats
Ultra High Definition stereo
Cold weather package

I found a red CPO on tesla.com for $58K, but I really want to finally get the color of my dreams. Also, in Arizona, if you buy from a private party, you do not have to pay sales tax.

My suggestion is to find a used version of whatever you are looking for instead of paying MSRP.

Brent

Tesla is not getting my money unless 2170 cells are involved. My 2013 Model S is still in good shape 5 years in (just crossed 100k miles). Autopilot completion and 2170 inclusion are all fluid. It's really a question of what is most important to you. If keeping the no car note life is not a big deal have at it.

Not really sure where to post this…
I’m wondering if I should get a new car, and if so, which one.

Here’s what I don’t like about my 2012 P85:
1) The CPU is painfully slow. Voice recognition often fails to bother to record what I’m saying. Web browser is essentially worthless. Even things on a USB stick often have playback errors due to the slow CPU.
2) Climate control is deficient. Especially for the fan noise. In the winter I toggle between setting the temp at 83 and “High” while in the summer I set the temp at “Low”. Fan speed of 10 is crazy loud and often doesn’t get the temperature comfortable, and I’m in San Jose, CA, not Green Bay, WI.
3) No more CA carpool lane for me (not a huge deal as I have a “reverse commute”, but since I like to drive over the speed limit, it’s nice to be able to use the left lane).
4) No ACC or Autopilot
5) No parking sensors
6) Several degrees of rear camber wears out the inside edge of my rear tires pretty quickly

If I got a new 3, S, or X, I imagine my above complaints would likely be resolved?
Or does the air flow on the S still make too much noise for its heating/cooling power? What about the 3 or X?

The only real urgency is the $7500 federal tax credit.
Come January, are Teslas simply going to be more expensive, or will Tesla lower the prices to remain competitive?

If I did get a new car, which one should I get for my family of 4 (girls aged 6, 3).
Model X 100D 7pax for $102k?
Model S 75D for $87k?
Model 3 for $49k?

Thanks,
Derek
I went from S(which I loved) to a 3. The HVAC in the 3 is far superior(and quieter) to my S and probably better than most cars on the road, MCU super fast, AP2 amazing etc. If price is a factor I'd jump on the 3 in a heartbeat in fact just ordered my second(LeMR this time). Of course the 3 is a smaller car with far less cargo capacity than the S(but still a lot for a car this size.)

• Helpful
Reactions: derekt75