Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security keeps turning on overnight??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I got my Roadster back from the body shop last week, it's been behaving strangely. When I try to start it up in the morning, the security alarm is active! I have to enter my PIN to unlock it. Then I still can't shift into reverse. I have to remove my key and then start it again. Then everything is good until the next day, when I have to do the little dance again.

I've gone through the manual, and it clearly tells how to activate and de-activate the security lock, but there's nothing about it automatically activating itself overnight. I've had this car for two years, and it never ever did this before. What in the world is going on?

I just thought I'd post an update on this, for the sake of completeness. . .

For a while I thought it might indeed be a battery problem, although the symptoms were a bit too erratic for that to exactly fit. This continued off-and-on for a few weeks. Then one day I had trouble getting into the car; it took several tugs on the door release before it opened. The car wouldn't start up properly: it sounded the security chime, but the VDS never turned on, the shifter wouldn't work, etc. With the key I switched the car off and on several times, until it finally launched into what appeared to be a brief "reboot" sequence.

Ever since then, no more difficulty of any kind.

When the Roadster acts wacky, especially on the 12v where things are managed by the VMS a reboot (cold is best) that is a quick and fairly easy method to try and usually cleans things back up. Someone else posted about alarm oddities and I believe the reboot addressed it as well.

I've seen a couple of times where my Roadster would arm itself. It never locked itself with the keys inside, usually an overnight / elapsed time trigger.