Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

profitable for ‘all quarters going forward’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cloxxki

Aug 20, 2016
Rotterdam
Elon Musk says Tesla will be profitable for 'all quarters going forward'

I know, everyone's favorite publication. It was the one that had the quote that came up first in Google.
Something may have happened to make this far from reality. I don't need to drag all that up in this particular post but I will mention the one that hurts me most, 56% year on year drop in S/X sales which IMNSHO could and should have been prevented through 101 product management.

Might the SEC, in case not profit is booked for Q1, have something to say about this, if there is no culprit that would have been unforeseen by Tesla when sharing this glorious news?

I know, everyone's favorite publication. It was the one that had the quote that came up first in Google.
Something may have happened to make this far from reality. I don't need to drag all that up in this particular post but I will mention the one that hurts me most, 56% year on year drop in S/X sales which IMNSHO could and should have been prevented through 101 product management.

Might the SEC, in case not profit is booked for Q1, have something to say about this, if there is no culprit that would have been unforeseen by Tesla when sharing this glorious news?

The quote is out of context he said “optimistic...
per article.

SEC aside, I am not always a Tesla fan for sure, but I see Elon making progress on many overdue commitments and I am becoming a believer.

I believe that Tesla is working very very hard to achieve all goals including profitability.

One thing that is important to remember is that no one has done what he is doing. There is no electric car company of this size on the planet. It’s always uncharted territory.

For sure Tesla should have prepared the market more for a sales cliff Q1 2019

Reactions: DougUnplugged
Believe that the reduction in S and X sales is mostly due to the great value proposition in the Model 3.

End result is still that Tesla sold 110% more vehicles in Q1 2019 than in Q1 2018.

Customers have more choices now.

Imagine that Model 3 sales will also take a dip when the Model Y is in volume production...yet still, Tesla will be selling more cars.

The Model 3 is a better car than the S and X for the same dollar.

Consumers are just being rational. Tesla will adjust accordingly. They have to do it in a way to not completely Osborne out current sales.

It’s so easy....you should start a car company. I wonder why you took the quote out of context???

Believe that the reduction in S and X sales is mostly due to the great value proposition in the Model 3.

End result is still that Tesla sold 110% more vehicles in Q1 2019 than in Q1 2018.

Customers have more choices now.

Imagine that Model 3 sales will also take a dip when the Model Y is in volume production...yet still, Tesla will be selling more cars.
That 110% will fall HARD Q2 on Q2 and all the fans who love repeating the number know it. Not an argument that's going to hold up well. A growth spike without profit and then...? A new larger scale car was added, that's to be expected.

I can't find a link now, but when Model 3 was introduced, weren't we told that Model S and X would remain technology leaders, getting the new stuff first?
Note that S/X demand growth is not slowing, demand plummeted in real numbers, halving from one quarter to the next. Model 3 had been selling for over a year. There's more going on. V3 supercharging capability was implemented in the 2017 Model 3, but still not in the 2019 S and X. That's flipping the finger at all that is sane product management, and getting the bill for it. Model S in 2012 had up to 81kWh, now 7 years later 102kWh and some incremental upgrades that all cars get. Frunk got smaller, new face. 2012 starting price was $57,400, now it's $85,000.

The sudden drop in S/X has little to do with Model 3 being desirable (totally different price range) but all to do with S and X receiving hardly any notable upgrade since 2016 to warrant "3 years of technology leadership" while service levels declined due to...guess who, Model 3.
Model 3 has all but killed S+X then, and now Model Y is coming up and it's almost universally better. What's the path this company is on? Why even bother still offering S+X? What's the wait with Y, a few panels and chairs? Reduce Model 3 output and start making Y on one or two of the three lines in Fremont.

Tesla may have self-inflicted the same problem the legacy car makers are seeing. Introducing a BEV that appeals to the masses will never be in sufficient supply once the buying public gets a taste for it and all other cars in the catalog will cease to matter. But, Tesla could and SHOULD have kept S and X on top. They have the tech in house for it.
Stick in two Model 3 rear motors and perhaps another one on the front axle. Roadster style. More range.
Put in the market leading 2170 cells, it saves $3-5K per unit and bring more top model range, better load endurance.
How hard would it be REALLY to put a tow hitch on Model S while anti-selling Model 3? Consumers car for this, but doe Tesla care for what consumers want and expect? The whole "production capacity limited" argument just ended in a very ugly way.

Killing off S and X like that wouldn't be such a suicidal act if they could actually make Model 3 (it should be technically in good numbers. Yet quarterly they're still below the rate of the last week of June 2018. Elon said they were on the steep bit of the S curve now, but I see a ceiling. In those circumstances, should you leave your flagships looking very "2012" or at best "2016"? The market doesn't care there is no competition for a 2016 Model S. They're not going to pay $85K for it if the $35K car is going to get a vastly higher mph charge rate in the future, whip the fancy S at long distance travel.

I contend this is not some temporary misfortune Tesla ran into due to making a new car. It's utter mismanagement. How can they mess up with such an innovative drive and cars that people used to love? The car that should be built at 10K weekly rate by now is still not at half despite an extra production line. Could they seriously not foresee that by Q2 2018?
Keep in mind, if they could make more Model 3's, Model S and X might sell even worse for all we know.

My main question remains. "What changed"?
I saw nothing over the past half year that Tesla themselves could not expect to foresee. Did the era where they would get rave reviews and overwhelming demand for whatever they did suddenly end? Did they run out of cult-like following that doesn't look at recent model upgrades and devaluation prospects? Is the ramp up to 10K Model 3 per week still imminent? Cell demand still overwhelmingly high despite years of cumulative delay from Model 3?

As a long time fan of the brand, I'm at a loss when trying to defend them on my local investment forum. Q on Q Model 3 production basically flat despite smaller batteries and the steep part of the S curve.
Overdoing Model 3 export ramp and getting stuck with end of quarter inventory due to late sailings, cash flow plummet and delayed margins, in my opinion is the least of it all.

Over the past year I rarely saw a moment where Tesla seemed to be knowing what they were doing. This brand is still here because of the fans, not due to over the top awesome innovation and design choices. It's all despite those choices. Model 3's skateboard is amazing, but what have they done to leverage it?

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G
It’s so easy....you should start a car company. I wonder why you took the quote out of context???
You know, I actually used to have a car startup. I know it's hard and for other reasons than Tesla ever faced, but I also know it's hard to mess up something with so much momentum and tech.
I did not mean to take it out of context. I want to know what it was based on, because since the quote, what exactly has been different than could be reasonably expected? Tesla know their own problems like no-one else obviously. What unforeseen problem got us to see what we're seeing in stead of steady profits into the future?
We all knew about GF3. We knew about Semi, Roadster and Pick-up. Even Model Y was not an unknown factor.
Tesla knew about V3 and that S and X were not going to get it any time soon.
Everyone who cares, knows how consumer psychology works.

What caused Tesla to see more than halved S+X demand and a departure from "profitable for all quarters"?

You have started a company and you don't even know what could change in the economy and market besides nature of the complex operation? Were you able to correctly predict your company will fail and told your investors of that? Regardless there is no excuse of using that Elon's comment out of context.