Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with adapter plug in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.
I've had my Tesla Y for a couple of months now. Sometimes when I plug the adapter into the charging port, it just won't go in. It's like something is blocking it and it just won't go in, and the port cover starts to close. Sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to get it in. Has anyone had problems like this? How did you solve them?

Thanks a lot
Kira

When I have a problem like that it's because I am an idiot trying to put it in upside down.

Maybe you have a dodgy 3rd party unit?

How come you need an adapter anyway? I thought Tesla capitulated on over to the CCS style to make it easy for everyone to use everything aside from a few CadmocadburyCo whatever they are called that seem to tandem with CCS most places.

That sounds as if the angle that you are inserting may be off a little bit. When you add the J-1772 adapter, and a J-1772 handle, it just gets a little harder to get things straight-on.

And if you are talking about the CCS adaptor, then well, not much to say but yep. Monster plug makes inserting not so easy.

You may want to practice just plugging the adapter in with nothing attached and see what happens.

Sometimes when I plug the adapter into the charging port, it just won't go in.
What kind of adapter are you talking about?
How come you need an adapter anyway? I thought Tesla capitulated on over to the CCS style to make it easy for everyone to use everything aside from a few CadmocadburyCo whatever they are called that seem to tandem with CCS most places.
The OP is in California. You are in Australia, so that's the European style ports, where Tesla did use CCS. That's not relevant here in the U.S.

Hello everyone.
I've had my Tesla Y for a couple of months now. Sometimes when I plug the adapter into the charging port, it just won't go in. It's like something is blocking it and it just won't go in, and the port cover starts to close. Sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to get it in. Has anyone had problems like this? How did you solve them?

Thanks a lot
Kira

First make sure the car is unlocked when you attempt to insert it, you should also see a white Tesla logo when the charge port door is open. Inspect the plug and the connection on the car, use a flashlight. Look for any dirt and bent pins. If you are using an adapter, check both sides of that as well. And of course make sure you are inserting it straight,

First make sure the car is unlocked when you attempt to insert it, you should also see a white Tesla logo when the charge port door is open. Inspect the plug and the connection on the car, use a flashlight. Look for any dirt and bent pins.
I checked it, everything is fine. Sometimes I need 3-4 attempts to insert it. But the port closes after each attempt and then I have to open and unblock it again :). I just don't understand why it doesn't open on the first try.

Hello everyone.

Thanks a lot
Kira
When you write "adapter" do you mean your Tesla charging connector or your J1772 adapter?

If you mean your Tesla connector, have you tried plugging in at Superchargers or other Tesla chargers and had the same problem?
If you mean your J1772 adapter do you know somebody else with a Tesla whose adapter your could try?

I mean I just don't understand why it doesn't work on the first try, why I have to try multiple times to get it in.

It sounds to me like you have a broken plastic sheath from one of the pins from your Tesla charger stuck in the charge port of your car (based on the little information provided by the OP).

Reactions: davewill
When you write "adapter" do you mean your Tesla charging connector or your J1772 adapter?

If you mean your Tesla connector, have you tried plugging in at Superchargers or other Tesla chargers and had the same problem?
If you mean your J1772 adapter do you know somebody else with a Tesla whose adapter your could try?
I mean the Tesla charging port. It doesn't just work with my car's charging port. With Superchargers or other Tesla chargers, it always plugs in quickly and easily.

I mean the Tesla charging port. It doesn't just work with my car's charging port. With Superchargers or other Tesla chargers, it always plugs in quickly and easily.

The charging port is part of the car. There are two adapters, the J-1772 that comes extra with most cars. And the CCS which you have to order.
An adapter is something that converts something to something else.

But it is sounding as if you aren't even talking about an adapter, just plugging the Tesla NACS connector in.

The details are important, different answers to different problems.

What are you plugging into? A home device? If so, which one is it? Details are important.
A Supercharger?
Where else have you plugged into?

It sounds to me like you have a broken plastic sheath from one of the pins from your Tesla charger stuck in the charge port of your car (based on the little information provided by the OP).
I agree it sounds like this might be the case. If the OP would post photos of both the car's inlet, and the plug they are plugging in, we might be able to see what the problem is.