Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, the Reuters article has the following info, but who knows where they got it from: "At the top of the series, Tesla will offer a 90kWh battery pack upgrade to the single-motor Model S 85 and the dual-motor 85D and P85D. Existing owners will pay about $5,000 for the upgrade."
I think Reuters just made up that existing owners 90kWh upgrade price. It's not on the Tesla website.

Partial silicon anodes? I see endless small upgrades in battery size on the way... I guess we have the tesla version of new models on an annual basis. Works for me. Especially as an investor.

Honestly now, I know I have drunk the koolaid, but this is the finest sedan on the road. All from a company that started mass producing three years ago. I guess they are maybe a year away from having closed on all the 'fancy' amenities advantage the legacy makers might still have at this point. Not necessary for me to proclaim my belief, best sedan ever made.

Shocking for me to see these century old car makers solidly in catch up mode. All they have is a steady stream of press releases for the future cars that will 'kill' today's Tesla. Or was that yesterday's Tesla? 2012's? Moving target indeed. My money's on Tesla.

+1 ---- ICE super(?) cars are really beginning to seem like a punching bag for Tesla.

Quicker - already - than the 2016 Dodge Viper ACR: 2016 Dodge Viper ACR First Drive [w/video]

Quicker (0-60MPH) than ALL BUT THREE of the cars listed by Motor Trend 2015 model year testing: Top 25 Quickest 2015 Cars and SUVs From 0-60 MPH All Pages

2015 Nissan GT-R Nismo: 2.9 seconds
2015 McLaren 650S Spyder: 3.0 seconds
2015 Porsche 911 GT3: 3.1 seconds
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06/Z07: 3.2-3.3 seconds
2015 Jaguar F-Type Coupe R: 3.6 seconds
2015 Callaway Corvette SC627: 3.6 seconds
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat: 3.7 seconds
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat: 3.7 seconds
2015 BMW i8: 3.8 seconds
2015 BMW M3: 3.8-3.9 seconds
2015 BMW M4: 3.9-4.0 seconds
2015 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG Coupe: 4.0 seconds
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C: 4.1, 4.6 seconds
2015 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S: 4.1 seconds
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 6.4L: 4.2 seconds

I thought that 70D price was unchanged. The new 70 model is $5K less than the 70D.

Exactly. There was no price reduction, there was the addition of a lower priced option without dual motors. That absolutely reduces the dollars of margin, and may slightly reduce the margin percentage, but the article incorrectly states Tesla is taking a $5k hit because sales are lower than expected.

Last edited:
Silicon anodes? Did you listen to the live call, anyone have a transcript? This is huge news if true...

Will Tesla increase the physical size of the pack in the 90 KWh upgrade, or is it just the result of improve capacity? Answer: It's just a chemistry improvement, using silicon in the anode...
Doesn't say whether that is all silicon or part silicon.

See here for info from Berkely labs on silicon anode technology
http://www-als.lbl.gov/index.php/holding/650-a-better-anode-design-to-improve-lithium-ion-batteries-.html

let's not sort all this out through the fun house mirror of the media... we can tweet TM, Elon, or email Tesla investor relations, and ask that they put a recording of today's call on their website.

here's Tesla's form to email IR

http://ir.teslamotors.com/contactus.cfm

Just my opinion but, writing down your name, contact info, and your question, on a napkin, then scrunching up napkin into a ball and tossing in the wastebasket, will give you better odds at a reply from Tesla IR than filling out their Contact Us web form.

Just my opinion but, writing down your name, contact info, and your question, on a napkin, then scrunching up napkin into a ball and tossing in the wastebasket, will give you better odds at a reply from Tesla IR than filling out their Contact Us web form.

I was hoping if a number of us did this it would have a better chance than the napkin (fwiw I've now done the napkin bit as well as you say it has better odds for me individually).

I think Reuters just made up that existing owners 90kWh upgrade price. It's not on the Tesla website.
I think it was a misunderstanding and poorly communicated by Tesla. I may be wrong, but here's my interpretation based on the available information:

The only upgrade offered is to enable Ludicrous mode in P85D. This requires a $5,000+Installation upgrade for existing P85D owners only. For this price, you only get the fuse and high-power contactor upgrade, not the range upgrade or a new battery pack. New customers are forced to pick the range upgrade if they want Ludicrous mode, for a total of $13,000. The 90kWh battery pack is not offered as an upgrade and only available for new orders.

I think it was a misunderstanding and poorly communicated by Tesla. I may be wrong, but here's my interpretation based on the available information:

The only upgrade offered is to enable Ludicrous mode in P85D. This requires a $5,000+Installation upgrade for existing P85D owners only. For this price, you only get the fuse and high-power contactor upgrade, not the range upgrade or a new battery pack. New customers are forced to pick the range upgrade if they want Ludicrous mode, for a total of $13,000. The 90kWh battery pack is not offered as an upgrade and only available for new orders.

Existing 85 kWh Model S owners can pay $3K and have a firmware upgrade release the 5kWh that was previously designated as unusable. Previously, the 85kwh battery was 85 kWh rated and 80 actual.

A current 85 kWh S owner Can pay $3K to use all 85 kWh (minus whatever degraded).