Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall install delayed from April to June :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought a model S last september and it was an awful experience, the order was done wrong twice and it took nearly 3 months. 27 of the first 35 days I had the car it was in the tesla service center with issues. They replaced a tire with a wrong tire that wasnt speed rated for my car and claimed they didnt, all in all not impressed with the service or reliability.

Even after that I went back and bought a solar package from them. I was given an initial estimate for a 6.75 KW install that would produce 79% of my solar need it was 21 panels and a powerwall. Later they said they could drop down to a 5.85 KW set up it would somehow produce 103%, I questioned this and they said someone did the math wrong the 1st time. They said its a 6-8 week process once permits were pulled, they had me do the loan and set everything up. Once that was finalized they said the powerwall was at least 6 months out and they were not even sure if it would be available then. They also said I would have to redo my loan and take the powerwall off and then do a second loan or pay cash when it becomes available. The guy who im dealing with at tesla was actually pretty honest and said he sees the pretty often. Im waiting to hear back tomorrow with some options.

Victory! I am the greatest! OK, no, the Powerwall installers are. Four units up and running. Much excite. 21% power left tonight. Tomorrow will be sunny. If we make ~60kwh tomorrow with the solar, which is about average this week, then the Powerwalls will be full before the end of the day. :) I'm trying 80% reserve for now, to see how long that lasts into the night. Hopefully that takes off the peak hours.

So I bought a model S last september and it was an awful experience, the order was done wrong twice and it took nearly 3 months. 27 of the first 35 days I had the car it was in the tesla service center with issues. They replaced a tire with a wrong tire that wasnt speed rated for my car and claimed they didnt, all in all not impressed with the service or reliability.

Even after that I went back and bought a solar package from them. I was given an initial estimate for a 6.75 KW install that would produce 79% of my solar need it was 21 panels and a powerwall. Later they said they could drop down to a 5.85 KW set up it would somehow produce 103%, I questioned this and they said someone did the math wrong the 1st time. They said its a 6-8 week process once permits were pulled, they had me do the loan and set everything up. Once that was finalized they said the powerwall was at least 6 months out and they were not even sure if it would be available then. They also said I would have to redo my loan and take the powerwall off and then do a second loan or pay cash when it becomes available. The guy who im dealing with at tesla was actually pretty honest and said he sees the pretty often. Im waiting to hear back tomorrow with some options.

3 days away from lemon law!

The Powerwalls are definitely up and running. I experimented last night to see if they could supply power to the house, and I did run them down to 15% (from 21%). Up to 37% now. Probably won't hit 100% with us staying home today. Also the app is not measuring properly, so it's time to call Tesla support.

A technician came out today. One of the gateways was down and had never been registered. It's up, and now not only should solar charge the batteries faster, I can see all the house's power usage. All that's left is passing final inspection, which really should have been handled before the gateway issue, but whatever. I really like the peace of mind of power backup plus the savings of power shifting.

A technician came out today. One of the gateways was down and had never been registered. It's up, and now not only should solar charge the batteries faster, I can see all the house's power usage. All that's left is passing final inspection, which really should have been handled before the gateway issue, but whatever. I really like the peace of mind of power backup plus the savings of power shifting.
We had our three Powerwalls installed last week. We are waiting for approval (and a meter) from the utility company. In the meantime, about the only thing we can do is see our power usage by connecting directly to the gateway via the IP address. I can also see the batteries have dropped from 27% to 21%.
upload_2018-7-31_10-36-5.png

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
We had our three Powerwalls installed last week. We are waiting for approval (and a meter) from the utility company. In the meantime, about the only thing we can do is see our power usage by connecting directly to the gateway via the IP address. I can also see the batteries have dropped from 27% to 21%.
View attachment 321886
Well, huh. Hope they don't croak before you get PTO!

View attachment 321886
I was asked to turn off my battery until I got PTO, otherwise it will just keep draining and have no way of charging. I don't think it's good for these batteries to be sitting at zero for a long period of time.

No such problem for us. California and Colorado laws different? Dunno.
In California, if you didn't have solar and installed Solar + Powerwall you would have to leave it shut down too. Powerwall addition to existing solar does not need to remain shut down waiting for PTO.

@MorrisonHiker the other thing you could do is wait for a sunny time that the house is not using much power and shut off the breaker feeding the Backup Gateway. The Powerwalls will think there is an outage and power the backed up loads. Then you can turn on the solar to charge the batteries. When the batteries are charged enough or the solar drops down at the end of the day, turn off the solar and turn the grid power back on for the Gateway.

Two Tesla electricians came out today and added a second conduit to meet local code. Looks like they also may have gotten the nuerio system measuring power usage correctly. Knock on lithium. Don't know if we passed inspection or not, though, as I was out of the home.

Reserved in January 2018. Received the "design" in June. Was told installation would be "end of summer". Just delayed with no ETA:

"Due to the overwhelming global demand of the Powerwall, it has caused a shortage of supply. We have obtained the necessary approvals in order to move your project forward to Install ready, however at this point we will be waiting for adequate supply before contacting you to schedule the installation. I will continue to follow up with your project and I will be in contact with you periodically. We appreciate your patience as we work to meet the growing demand of this product. "