Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] What's your average annual Supercharger idle fee?

[Poll] What's your average annual idle fee?

• $0

Votes: 71 98.6%
  • $.20-$1

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • $1.05-$5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5.05-$10

• $10.05-$20

• >$20

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know what the average Tesla owner faces in idle fees at the Supercharger. I've been hearing from a lot of folks who don't own EVs remark that the idle fees are a cash-grab. The Tesla community generally understands that the idle fees exist to encourage more courteous behavior for others who will need to charge in a timely manner. I would be surprised to see if these idle fees amount to anything significant, so I thought I'd start a poll to investigate.

Please give an estimate of your average annual idle fee.

Idle fees are designed, primarily to make cars with lifetime Supercharging move away from a charger when they are charged. Up until idle fees, unlimited Supercharging vehicles could clog a spot for hours or days. And some owners seemed to believe that they had a God given right to do so.

I'd be hesitant to say that non-EV owners really even know about idle fees. And if they do, then they really understand that Supercharging, to begin with, is not the way the way that EVs should be used or promoted. Home charging is by far the experience that everyone should strive for. Supecharging should only be used for cross-country.

Home charging is by far the experience that everyone should strive for.

Or, place of work charging since the car is sitting there 8hrs/day. I plug in at a regular ol' 120/20A outlet and pays for my daily commute. We have scads of 120V outlets where I live, for block heaters. Remember those?!

I do most charging at work, top up at supercharger for the weekend, and seldom if ever use that HPWC I installed at home.

The idle fee is a deterrent for unsocial behavior. Due to multiple warnings from the app it is almost impossible to miss the point in time to move the car.

When I was eating at a nearby restaurant the car was done charging before we were done eating. Unfortunately the charger is down a steep hill and it takes time and effort to get there - Dinzler at Irschenberg for those interested.

So I upped the charging limit from 90% to 100%, giving the car an extra task of charging another 15-20 minutes or so. Time enough to finish the meal and pick up the car.

Now the new policy with the charge limited to 80% in some cases will invalidate this work-around.

Never had a fee, though only was away a few times when it hit 80%. Being in Florida I just turn the AC up all the way and turn on Sentry mode. Seems I have reduced SC ability and after 90% SoC with those two on it seems it never finishes charging.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
The superchargers are a shared resource.

Tesla/EV drivers must adapt to effectively sharing the chargers.

For-pay public chargers usually charge per minute connected, not for charging time or energy consumed - if a vehicle stays connected after charging is completed, charges will continue to be incurred until the vehicle is disconnected. This usually discourages drivers from leaving their vehicles parked for extended periods after charging has been completed.

Tesla probably should have implemented terms and conditions for supercharger use when they installed the first superchargers - defining the practice Tesla drivers should follow in order to get access to the superchargers - including disconnecting after charging is completed and not parking in charging spots (and not charging). And, at some point, it's likely Tesla will be forced to require all users of the supercharger network to agree to T&C's before being able to use a supercharger.

Even for owners getting FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging), Tesla drivers should get used to disconnecting shortly after charging has been completed, even if there are open supercharging spaces.

We shouldn't expect Tesla to overbuild the supercharger network because owners (even those paying for charging) aren't willing to take reasonable steps to share the superchargers.

I have free SC as long as I own the car due to my boss's referral code. I use the SC net about twice a month on a 200 mile trip (each way) between northern NJ and Lower. Slower Delaware. I have never incurred a idle fee although once I actually got to my SOC limit of 80% and was notified as I walked back from a crowded Starbucks across from the Newark, De SC