Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

parallel universe: assume $ is not an issue (gas, payments, etc.), would you still insist driving MX/MXP SUV over say BMW X7 SUV 100% fully optioned ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh sheesh, we have had a MX, but also have an X5, and parents X7. You can't compare the interior aspect even I'd say. The BMWs are super quiet and comfy, handy just fine, but the interior quality is just a league above the MX. I got accustomed to lately the heated surfaces besides just seats like your armrest on doors/console being a nice touch, the 4 zone climate, everything is leather wrapped, definitely the opening pano roof that also has a shade built in to close, using android auto is nice, the heads up is great (displays maps even now on windshield), I like the lift gates in back that are split, etc.

How close is Tesla service and how long does it take to get an appointment? If money is no issue what do we care about reliability?

Model x 6 seater. All the way.
That's one of (was) my main concern, the Raleigh, NC SC is at the moment the "only" local Tesla SC, from my home about ~20 mins drive. And my home is within their mobile service radius. And i work at RTP, so their mobile service would also support the parking lot at my workplace. And i heard that Raleigh "will" open up second SC at the Triangle Center, supposedly last year, so it's in works. Soon.

The problem i'm having with Raleigh Tesla SC "in genera'" is at the moment "long lead time" from "second hand" feedbacks, and in general their techs SUCK. Not good. And yes, they also lost few folks, but i'm told the folks they lost are lower level techs.

hell yes only because of the model x plaid. The performance of my model x plaid is unmatched by any other suv and its a great daily for my family with 3 kids. The plaid is what did it to finally make me switch to a EV. Before the plaid came out the thing that turn me off about EV the most was the fact that they were only fast from 0-80 mph and the acceleration and power just stopped and fell over a cliff after 80mph+ but the new refreshed model s/x fixed this. I still have and love my bmw's and my high power turbo cars and i use to always say how slow EV's were from a freeway roll and that my ICE cars were faster from a roll but this all stopped when the plaid came out.

Oh sheesh, we have had a MX, but also have an X5, and parents X7. You can't compare the interior aspect even I'd say. The BMWs are super quiet and comfy, handy just fine, but the interior quality is just a league above the MX. I got accustomed to lately the heated surfaces besides just seats like your armrest on doors/console being a nice touch, the 4 zone climate, everything is leather wrapped, definitely the opening pano roof that also has a shade built in to close, using android auto is nice, the heads up is great (displays maps even now on windshield), I like the lift gates in back that are split, etc.
1715356823077.png

And fully loaded X7 xDrive40i even with their Crystal Headlights and full leather interiot/dash, comes to out to door, $106,962.85. So that's difference of around $7K'ish.

Save the $7K'ish --> go with MXP

Pay the $7K'ish --> go with X7

Built by Tesla vs Built by BMW, that is what comes down to, for me.

I’d still get a Tesla but …

From now on every Tesla I buy would be with a cashier’s check and after compiling a thorough list of quality checks at delivery including being able to open the car, doors, trunk. I’m going with a magnifying glass and a gap measuring device too. There’s no way ever I compromise angain any quality issues prior to delivery that I can discover, and I will take my sweet time looking for them.
I am (was) prepared though, :)

1715357503974.png

hell yes only because of the model x plaid. The performance of my model x plaid is unmatched by any other suv and its a great daily for my family with 3 kids. The plaid is what did it to finally make me switch to a EV. Before the plaid came out the thing that turn me off about EV the most was the fact that they were only fast from 0-80 mph and the acceleration and power just stopped and fell over a cliff after 80mph+ but the new refreshed model s/x fixed this. I still have and love my bmw's and my high power turbo cars and i use to always say how slow EV's were from a freeway roll and that my ICE cars were faster from a roll but this all stopped when the plaid came out.
yes, if 2.5 alone, then obvious no comparison choice.

That's one of (was) my main concern, the Raleigh, NC SC is at the moment the "only" local Tesla SC, from my home about ~20 mins drive. And my home is within their mobile service radius. And i work at RTP, so their mobile service would also support the parking lot at my workplace. And i heard that Raleigh "will" open up second SC at the Triangle Center, supposedly last year, so it's in works. Soon.

The problem i'm having with Raleigh Tesla SC "in genera'" is at the moment "long lead time" from "second hand" feedbacks, and in general their techs SUCK. Not good. And yes, they also lost few folks, but i'm told the folks they lost are lower level techs.
Just got mine back from there Wednesday. It’s like 4 weeks for an appointment. Made appointment then night before they said drop it off Friday it won’t be done till Wednesday. Had to reschedule for another 4 weeks out. Other than that all word done there has been fine for me. I even got a loaner for out of warranty work Friday-Wednesday.

In your case get the BMW.

I'm still going over to the lot today and look over.

If, for some freakish reason the exterior is to my OCD'ish par, and interior as well (of course they won't let me test drive) then, (considering i "could" use $7,500 business deductible on my side gig as software consultant, which i already do using the minivan) ...

"possibly", just "maybe" .............

until then ...

I find myself in a similar position. I'm looking for a road tripper that has room and I am looking at ICE vehicles as well. I am going to be leasing most likely. I stumble upon inventory Model X plaids for about 1400 bucks / month 36/12.

However, I have a 3 EVs of which really only one is suitable for taking on long journeys but isn't nearly as much storage space as I would need, plus the potential use of the extra seats. My primary use is up and down the east coast from NJ to FL and it is somewhat frequent as the dogs migrate with the wife and she won't put her french bulldogs on a plane. I need space for all of their gear and whatever she packs. I'd actually take the hummer but she won't sit in it for 950 miles.

I'd love an MXP but I'm not wholly convinced I don't need an ICE car yet. Certainly S/C network makes me more at ease although I've gone CCS without issues but it isn't quite as worry free.

OP good luck with your decision.

I'm still going over to the lot today and look over.

If, for some freakish reason the exterior is to my OCD'ish par, and interior as well (of course they won't let me test drive) then, (considering i "could" use $7,500 business deductible on my side gig as software consultant, which i already do using the minivan) ...

"possibly", just "maybe" .............

until then ...

You really shouldnt.

Not that there is anything wrong with the car, but as I said before, if you are not excited about the car, you shouldnt be buying it, especially for cars in this price range.

If you have to be convinced (either by yourself or somehow by internet threads) to buy a car, the very first time there is even a hint of something wrong, you will be all over everywhere saying (either in person, online or both) "I knew it, I shouldnt have...."

Dont put yourself (and possibly Us, heh) through that, just go ahead and buy the BMW.

My take if don't care about RV thing, or if works well even check out the X5 50e.

But:
1. Service is 1000x better with our BMW. Always get a nice loaner for most issues under warranty.
2. Quality is worth the difference. Especially if hate rattles or squeaks. A Tesla may start off quiet but not for long.
3. For reliable tech go with BMW.

Well, at least i tried, maybe i can get an A for "effort".

This is POS for $100,000 vehicle...

Paint chips (multiple paint chips, WTTF, i don't care if from factory or during transportation, in such condition CANNOT PASS THE ****ING PDI !!!)
Windshield crack
Scuffs on the piano black trims by the doors
Orange peel effects on the piano black trims "and" paints (mostly on the rear, and on top painted surface on the rear spoiler)
Condensation
And all the INFAMOUS panel gaps

You got to be ****ING MORON to buy Tesla, even if you HATE GAS. Does one hate GAS SO MUCH that they will OVERLOOK SUCH ****ING QUALITY (lack there off) ???!!!

Yeah, maybe if you are buying $30,000 Tesla, sure.

But for ****ING $100,000 Tesla, **** YOU TESLA !!!

What sort of initial ownership customer satisfaction i wonder Tesla has from their owners.

This may just be 1 sample (but there is another MXP on the same lot, and yeah, it's in similar POS shape, i swear) out of gazillion Tesla shoves their POS quality in people's throat.

What Tesla has created is a community of SHEEPS... Just like Apple.

I am more than so convinced Tesla is created to create contents to get CLICKS... that's it.

Tesla is not a real car, it just is NOT !

Maybe the will get there, one they. But not right now. Maybe after killin enough people with the FSD, they will wake up.

So long Tesla...

1715489174053.png

1715489278893.png

Some of the gaps you show like in the 3rd pic where the rear quarter trim meets the trim above rear door are normal and all Xs have them. But some of the other stuff is unacceptable of course. I guess that debate got settled. You won’t get a perfect vehicle with an X - they don’t exist.

Reactions: Zer0t and EbS-P
Some of the gaps you show like in the 3rd pic where the rear quarter trim meets the trim above rear door are normal and all Xs have them
Even when they do "not" match between left and right sides of the vehicle? Shouldn't both sides be either equal or unequal in their fitments? Maybe the asymmetric thing is to be expected. Anyway, doesn't matter, i don't know why i'm even replying here, but just reporting left and right sides DO NOT match.

That’s how they all are. Mine is even worse on driver side but since that gap is present on all (gap is above door and no gap is rear quarter window) I decided not to bother asking them to correct it any time I did so some other damage was done.

That piano trim chipping on rear quarter is from them trying to realign door without proper masking tape. You know how they fixed it - by replacing entire rear quarter window. Then same happened to other side 4 months later when they tried to realign the other door to reduce some rubbing. And they replaced the other quarter window! And chipped my paint in spots in the process.

Just pass on the X - perfect is non existent in the assembly quality of this vehicle.

Attachments

• IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1193.jpeg
    IMG_1193.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 2
I owned a X3 M40i before switching to the world of EV's. Love BMW's interior quality far more than Teslas, I'll be completely honest about that. But; being into tech I am FAR more interested in my Model X Plaid with FSD. It will hands down deliver more over it's life than the BMW would due to the continued improvements in a Tesla verses BMW's you get what you got and that's it.

You are overreacting and overthinking this is my opinion.

There’s no perfect vehicle. If you want a great EV, accept a Tesla and acknowledge that it doesn’t have basic parking safety features 2015 cars do. But it gives you a large network to road trip with. It is generally low on maintenance and no regular run cost like gas oil change etc. And it’s not going to be an EU built vehicle.

If you want a non-EV, just acknowledge that they won’t be as much technically superior but you then have myriad of options to choose from. A new BMW would be one of the poorest choices you’ll make. A decent / reliable choice would be Hybrid Max or a Lexus 500h+ etc. but they’re gonna be a bit boring. But their build quality would be very good.

Reactions: EbS-P
Before Tesla did we all measure all panel gaps on cars? I get that it can be a measure of quality but I never looked at until I was told how bad Teslas were. Then started looking my Honda isn’t much better than my 2016 MX, but it’s better. There is nothing Luxurious about the Tesla experience today. The experience is a technology centered EV that goes like hell, and service that isn’t great.

You get a Tesla because that’s what you want. Remember Tesla hasn’t fixed the shudder issue yet and won’t. Same with rear camber (inner tire wear)

Reactions: youngmcdonald
If money was not a factor, I would probably custom build the most powerful powertrain into the best cabin and customize those with dynamic adaptive suspension. But I haven't been in the market for that combo so I wouldn't know off the top of my head what would be a good starting point ;)

However, I would not give up the performance of a Tesla for the ride quality or other comforts of other cars.

If our family were to outgrow our 6-seat MXP I'm not sure what would be the next step, but I hope Tesla will have solved the Plaid 7-seater by that time.